Innovative Marine Aquariums

William's Red Sea Reefer Nano - The Final Countdown

William

I have read and watched some videos on YouTube and it seems that it only takes a week or so. My Dr. Tim's One & Only and ammonium chloride will be here on Thursday so I'm excited to get it going as well! Keep us posted on how long it takes you!

078ef65bd3930bda156b94a8b616210c.jpg

So this is after putting 28 drops of Ammonium chloride in the tank on Sunday..... Kinda surprised how fast it went, I just put another 28 drops in now and will test it tomorrow to see if I can detect any ammonia

Looking good! what % are you running the lights at? if you have not used the radions before check out the preset template called AB+ it works well.

Maybe I need to update my Radion, as I don't see it? Is that the all blue mode?

078ef65bd3930bda156b94a8b616210c.jpg

So this is after putting 28 drops of Ammonium chloride in the tank on Sunday..... Kinda surprised how fast it went, I just put another 28 drops in now and will test it tomorrow to see if I can detect any ammonia

Wow, that was quick! Here's hoping for all zeros!

D3C8B4CD-A0D0-49D5-9AC9-CB4AABAB3E82_zps

If the ammonia tomorrow is low/gone, and when I try again on Friday, I'll prob order my love rock for delivery next week.

• Like 1

Maybe I need to update my Radion, as I don't see it? Is that the all blue mode?

its under Schedules> Coral Lab > Sub templates > AB+

its close to T5 lighting

its under Schedules> Coral Lab > Sub templates > AB+

its close to T5 lighting

I use my apex to control my Radion, I'm not sure if I have that feature :-(

• Like 1

I use my apex to control my Radion, I'm not sure if I have that feature :-(

Ahh i see, i managed to score a free reeflink with my radion otherwise id be doing the same.

Coral Lab

There you go. Apparently they are easy to transfer into the apex.

Ahh i see, i managed to score a free reeflink with my radion otherwise id be doing the same.

Coral Lab

There you go. Apparently they are easy to transfer into the apex.

Thanks!

After reading this article ( https://reefbuilders.com/2016/07/09/nano-bubbles-in-the-reef-aquarium/) on Nano-Bubbles, I may try this on my system as well.

Huge bit of drama on the nano bubbles threads over on the other forums. I've tried the bubbling myself - I do it occasionally. I've seen it remove gunk from the return pipes. Corals stress and slime up. It's not a panacea for everything bad but at least it oxygenates quite a bit.

Tank is now cycling with Dr. Tim's and ammonium chloride

I plan to do a complete cycle of the tank with sand and marinepure blocks before I order my uncured Liverock from KP Aquatics

You might have a cycle when the rock is added and there is die off.

Huge bit of drama on the nano bubbles threads over on the other forums. I've tried the bubbling myself - I do it occasionally. I've seen it remove gunk from the return pipes. Corals stress and slime up. It's not a panacea for everything bad but at least it oxygenates quite a bit.

You might have a cycle when the rock is added and there is die off.

I expect I will likely have a good bit of die off, but I'm hoping that if I can artificially raise to denitrifying capacity of the system prior to the addition of the rock, I can blunt/reduce the severity/duration of the cycle, and therefore decrease further death 2nd to toxicity.
  • Like 1

With the tank sill cycling I decided I would go ahead and set up my dosing pump. I plan to start the pump (4 channels) with NoPOX, Calcium, and Alk. I will leave the last channel open for the future. Surprisingly only one pump was off when I calibrated it. I plan to mount the dosing pump above the top off resavoir And hang the bags below it. 9625cdb28696c86d83b06354d2765d81.jpg77e04ff52a3c38326659541e267e44f6.jpg

*bags were going to be discarded after use and were refilled with labeled solution.

• Like 1

I used the manual mode on the dosing pump and sucked solution from the respective bottles (into the bags) then just switched the tubing (inflow/outflow) so that it draws form the bags. Was fairly easy and cheap (free). I then injected a small amount of air (with a 20cc syringe) to allow for a functioning drop counter.

I used 250ml bags as they were about the right size for the tank, but you could use 500ml or 1000ml IV bags just as easily.

• Like 4

Update: the cycle is going very well, Ammonia is undetectable within 12 hours of being 2ppm and my skimmer is pulling out some nice light tea skimmate with only the ammonia dosing. I plan to order my love rock soon

208eb77611f4aecdbeb00a479b77b276.jpg

This is about 4 - 5 days worth

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The 15lbs of KP Aquatics Live rock is in! I found a few dead pistol shrimp and what looked like a Euclid worm at the bottom of the bag, but the rock looks great! I still need to get my scape figured out and possibly break a few rocks in half.

672d4cc60192442f514beded2a326709.jpga61c8c38bd945eb711a609a7587d84b1.jpg93fb5d0c0bf97b5770d7e3e2a422c639.jpg208cc951f1179728b5edb9e88a6a56ab.jpgb2f811fb075354a1d4afcd5c848e3ee3.jpg1a3b5469e3bde2c62474345e30cb7f02.jpg0fb6f8875fb3de70329dcb5d0fe64dda.jpg

I plan to ship out my radion today, so hopefully I will get my new light in soon

• Like 4

Sadly I'm going through a cycle.... :-(

NH4: 0.3

NO2: 1

NO3: 50+

PH: 7.8

ALK: 9.5

SG: 1.026

Temp: 78

My skimmer is pulling a crazy amount of dark gunk though.

Will prob start doing 5gal water changes every 3-4 days. I have also increased my NoPOX dosing

To 3ml/day

Lastly I got my DIY CO2 scrubber up and running.

4c28e9cbdedc7c158c6820ed330a6cc5.jpgd6048479f9bcf8691084fa0335939695.jpg

I ordered an Artfully Acrylic Screen top with feeding door as well, but it will take 6 weeks for delivery.

• Like 3

The cycle is progressing nicely:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0.05

Nitrate: 30

PH: 7.9

Alk: 9.5

SG: 1.02

I placed a reef cleaners order which should be here wendeaday.

Dave said my NanoBox Duo should be shipped out Tuesday, so hopefully I will have it before the weekend.

• Like 1

The cycle seems to be over:

Ammonia: 0

Nitirite: 0

Nitrate: 10

PH (chemical test): 8.2/ Apex: 7.9

Alk: 11

Sg: 1.026

The skimmer is producing 100ml of dark tea colored skimmate daily and seem stop be very well sized for this tank. I have my NOPOX going in a 3ml/25gal per day currently and i believe this has helped hasten the cycle. Additionally i have been dosing 10ml of microbacter7 every other day. I plan to do another 5 gal water change today. I am starting to see life on the rock, with multiple tunicate colonies presenting themselves as well as fan worms and sponges.

On my way home from the gym is stopped by my closest LFS (petco in UES ?) and found that it wasn't totally terrible (the fish actually looked relatively healthy) and they had a mislabeled blue/yellow mini-maxi carpet for $5.99, so I picked it up.

• Like 2

af3256efe1496117c9405c8caa562fc6.jpg78356ac38cc4aeb1ea219e5e9cf20918.jpg19776da929de032017ae9e149a0456e5.png

C0DC538C-B68F-46E1-8B16-BB9089B82755_zps

I rearranged the rocks for better coral placement and cemented them together with NYOS cement (it has a very steep learning curve). I am fairly happy with the scape now.

Lastly I went ahead and placed my first divers den order!!

Excuse the crappy PC light, my Nanobox Duo is taking a bit longer to get here then I expected ?, especially since I already sold my Radion.

• Like 3

That was a good read on the coral lab. There's no life in the tank so to speak so IMO no sweat on there being no light. You'll dig the nanobox it's worth the wait

• Like 1

That was a good read on the coral lab. There's no life in the tank so to speak so IMO no sweat on there being no light. You'll dig the nanobox it's worth the wait

Actually I have found 4 dime sized "gonipora" coral that came with the rock as well as many "unknown" coral that I have no clue what they are. which is why I put the PC light on. My Duo should be in tomorrow though