Cultivated Reef

William's Red Sea Reefer Nano - The Final Countdown

William

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, summer is always cruise control time for the aquarium (did my first water change since may yesterday) 

everything is doing well except for the filefish (sucked into vortech after a feeding). 

I went ahead and bought myself an early birthday present. 

F2C8ADAF-EF6F-4607-9206-EB7D018DA97F.jpeg

Im actually on vacation right now, current view: 

00CD4D08-1929-4D5E-AA4B-D547FC2705B5.jpeg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

So I have had him for 10 days and he has yet to accept any type of food. He is very active in the aquarium. So far I have tried (PE mysis, silversides, krill). I will try scallops tmro 

23 minutes ago, William said:

So I have had him for 10 days and he has yet to accept any type of food. He is very active in the aquarium. So far I have tried (PE mysis, silversides, krill). I will try scallops tmro 

Try some live ghost shrimp just to get him eating or a couple feeder guppies. Then try some frozen again.  Usually they can't resist live food.

1 hour ago, William said:

Decided to take some top down views while doing a water change today. 

7994AECA-1077-4934-BBA0-6C0F25E7F7B7.jpeg

65AE6A71-22B7-4F49-A254-4DA9F71078E0.jpeg

D446F06E-C209-483B-8253-F3688EDB1FFE.jpeg

The pics are gourgeous.  You have such a diversity of coral and fish.  I have always liked predators.  Is the eel eating yet?

10 hours ago, vlangel said:

The pics are gourgeous.  You have such a diversity of coral and fish.  I have always liked predators.  Is the eel eating yet?

Thank you, and I think he is eating, but I have never seen him eat. He is not “hunting” as much as he was before. Two days ago  I left a piece of squid next to his main burrow and it was gone 15 min later.

I’m pretty happy with how the aquarium has matured. I like the variety of Coral species that have been able to thrive together. 

• Like 2

So as far as stocking is concerned I think I’m pretty much at my max. I had a live aquaria order come in today with a Biota Aptasia eating filefish, Lg Skunk cleaner shrimp, 3 emerald crabs (my snapping shrimp ends up eating them if they get too close to his burrow,

so I have to replace them), couple of ORA sps frags, and a black beta for my freshwater pick tank. I also added a UV sterilizer to the saltwater tank. I don’t plan to run it all the time but if I have an ich outbreak I’ll turn it on. It’s 36w, so should be large enough to take out parasites. 

The spot that I thought was ich on the flame angel is now gone. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Amazing as always @William! Glad to hear your new dwarf eel is doing well and taking food, I was curious how it was going. Such a neat addition!

9 hours ago, uwdanno said:

Very cool. Following 

Thanks and yea after a few weeks of not accepting anything he has decided to be a pig. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Your tank has really developed well, looks beautiful! 

Does the eel always have his head poking out? 

Thank you, and generally yes. He will swim around the tank at night and in the morning. He will also swim mostly out of his cave when he is hungry and sees me (the food god) 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey William, wondering if you put anything in the plumbing compartment in the tank. It’s a bit of dead space, other than mangroves, anything else go in there. Was thinking of putting in heater but not a lot of water movement.  

On 11/3/2018 at 12:10 AM, Yamato said:

Hey William, wondering if you put anything in the plumbing compartment in the tank. It’s a bit of dead space, other than mangroves, anything else go in there. Was thinking of putting in heater but not a lot of water movement.  

Which part? 

On 11/5/2018 at 1:15 AM, William said:

Which part? 

The part of the tank where the plumbing goes down to the sump. The rectangular black bit behind the display tank.