Innovative Marine Aquariums

William's Red Sea Reefer Nano - The Final Countdown

William

Placed and order with www.live-plants.com for some CUC and a few Ricordia, as well as picking up a katopora frag later today. Will post pics when things settle 

but in the interim, here is a pic of my other aquatic friend, Shangela 

3E7679F6-F097-4AC2-A931-D0E0403D7DD1.jpeg

05D176EF-EFDF-47DF-A470-82F8914B0FB4.jpeg

• Like 2

Just did my first water change in about a month. I decided to pick up a bag of Brightwell Aquatics Neomarine salt after hearing about Dave from Nano-box’s success with it. I will see how it compares to the Aquaforrest reef salt i was using before. I didn’t really have any issues with the aquaforrest and have half a bucket left, so unless I see marked improvement I’ll peobably switch back after I finish this 50gal bag. However, at my current rate of one 5gal water change a month, that may be quite a while. 

I also stirred up my sand bed for the first time in a while and manually removed the bubble algae that collects in my Red Snapping Shrimps territory. My emerald crabs are to afraid to go near it. 

I also dosed Vibrant at half strength to see if that will help get rid of the bubble algae. 

Lastly I removed half of the cheato from my Refugium as it had become so packed that it was clogging the refugium drain. 

• Like 1

Got my ricordia shipment from www.live-plants.com today, I have to say I’m very Impressed. They were all light blue/green, but for $4 each I’m not complaining. 3 if the 5 has multiple mouths.... will definitely order again and wishing I had ordered more. 

• Like 2

So I’m contemplating getting my beta a larger home and trying my luck with a planted freshwater aquarium. I wonder if this basic set up looks good to you FW plant guys 

1643724F-2E27-414F-BA56-DBE99EEF0E79.png

99D6FCD8-1C2A-4FF2-BB87-046371172D87.png

Here is a quick picture of the $4 ricordia I got at live-plants.com.

949D241F-6DD2-4F64-9A8E-70CBECF547D1.jpeg

Also, I picked up an innovative marine mini-maxi media reactor from amazon (was happy with carbon bags in my sump, but it was only $42), and it seems to be doing a nice job polishing the  water.

I also picked up an Ice Cap pocket salinity tester which I absolutely love. I hated having to use my refractometer when doing water changes and this makes testing salinity much easier. 

I will be adding another MP10wES that I am getting from a fellow nano-reef member. I plan to have it run anti-sync with my current vortech. Both will  be on the back wall on opposite sides of the overflow.  I will likely have them run in a 80/20 to 20/80 4 hour rotation for 20 hours a day and run on nutrient export mode for the remaining 4 hours. 

Lastly, it is becoming extremely evident that my aquarium is simply too small.... so I may start looking at upgrade options. I had wanted to wait until I finish anesthesia residency next June, but I may just have to upgrade ahead of time.... likely a Red Sea reefer 250

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Gorgeous top-down shots @William, the diversity of colors is unreal!

How fortuitous to find that crazy polyclad flatworm! Are you worried there may be more in the system?

How about that freshwater planted system, did you decide to build it? I've always wanted to try my hand at one some day too.

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Gorgeous top-down shots @William, the diversity of colors is unreal!

How fortuitous to find that crazy polyclad flatworm! Are you worried there may be more in the system?

How about that freshwater planted system, did you decide to build it? I've always wanted to try my hand at one some day too.

I am concerned about the flat worm, apparently they reproduce by fission.  I ordered the supplies for the fresh water setup, but haven’t set it up yet. 

Thanks for the compliments 

• Like 2