Cultivated Reef

Macro-Algae in DT

Astinus

Would like to see some "Ornamental" Macro-algae.

I have a JBJ 28g AIO. I would like to add some Macro to our DT, but do not want something that would need a lot of "pruning". I would like something Red maybe.

Please post ur pics. I'd like to see varieties and placements.

Thank You :)B)

<3 Macro - I'm loving it more and more.

Just posted this in another thread, but I love Caulerpa serrulata; pretty blueish tint, does need some pruning occasionally but it's so easy to pull off rocks and not leave anything behind. Halimeda's pretty easy to prune/pull off as well.

Ffm3VDR.png

I also kept some red macro (what I think is cryptonemia) at the very top of the 30g display for awhile, and just recently re-added a big bunch . My yellow tang keeps ripping it up, and it was too close to the light and tips were getting "burned" edges. Not easy to pull up, but it's so pretty, why would you ever want to? Slower growth too and doesn't really go anywhere, just gets more bushy.

0S4nYxB.png

And finally, another one that grows really well for me is (right under the clowns) some red (hot pink/purple) leafy macro I haven't ID'd yet.
60zqv9y.png

TY Stella. I Did find that thread. If I do put some Macro in our DT, I just want to be sure it wouldn't take over.

Sunwyrm, Those are pretty and Sounds/looks like something I'd be interested in.

• 4 weeks later...

Dragon's breath is really beautiful when it gets enough light to get the orange tips. It is not overly invasive but a good grower too which is nice. Its very easy to prune. I have it in 2 places in my tank....at the top of the rock work on the right and also by the food dish on the left. You can probably see it in my video I posted.

Archived