Top Shelf Aquatics

Acrylic Scratches Myth or Fact?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Since purchasing my first acrylic aquarium in 1989, I have not gone back to glass when given a choice! But the number one reason reefers hate acrylic and stay away from them is when they hear about how easy it scratches!

Do they scratch?

Oh yeah! And when they are abused and neglected they turn to this:

26161890311_b0884939f0.jpg

Are they repairable?

Oh yeah! And when Micro-Reefs took the challenge to repair this 70 gallon AIO system, it was done and looking like new in just 30 minutes!

26202292976_11b4d472e7.jpg

Acrylic when properly informed to a Reefer of do's/dont's, will last years without ever blemishing. But if abused and neglected she can be repaired and transformed from beast back to a beauty.

Nuff said!

Micro-Reefs LLC

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

What did you use to remove the scratches?

You require a Micro-Reefs VIP pass for me to lay out the secret.... LOL J/K

The correct sand paper + power tools and buffing material = Shiny / glossy restored Acrylic!

25956348540_ae8eaa95b7.jpg

Nice job. My own manual buffing took me four days and it still looks like poo. lol

Yeap same, I can buff it for hours by hand and only see like a 1 percent improvement

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Nice job. My own manual buffing took me four days and it still looks like poo. lol

Well,

For small jobs accidental nicks I use my hands and manual buffing! This of course is for brand new acrylic when it arrives from the manufacturer and there is a small scuff I didn't see from the supplier or on transportation.

I don't restore old tanks, but I wanted to show users that are skeptical about buying acrylic tanks that they can be restored like new.

For this particular messed up abused tank, I had to use my palm electrical sander connected to a power vac and I did it dry not wet.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Yeap same, I can buff it for hours by hand and only see like a 1 percent improvement

You have to follow the steps and in the correct order:

1. correct sand grid sheets.

2. correct order of which one you lay down first, second etc

3. the stroke in which you apply the first sand paper needs to go opposite the second stroke etc.

4. proper removal of residual sand paper grade to the next applied paper

5. buffing liquid and how you apply it and where, I like to use latex gloves and work it into the sanded area.

If you follow the 5 steps, you will get the correct results and it will look like new and even more impressive when water fills in the microscopic groves that will always be present in any treated plastic.

Hope this makes sense, but remember I am a fabricator of Acrylic so I am a bit more patient and persistent.

These are truly MAGIC.... best thing for acrylic ever to clean algae or coraline, you can rub as hard as you want and it won't harm it one bit.

magiceraser.jpg

LeCharlesMuhDickens

What kind of compound are you using? I've used 3m perfect it and a foam buffer pad with great results.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

These are truly MAGIC.... best thing for acrylic ever to clean algae or coraline, you can rub as hard as you want and it won't harm it one bit.

magiceraser.jpg

Where do I get one of these magic erasers?

What kind of compound are you using? I've used 3m perfect it and a foam buffer pad with great results.

Mcquires polishing compound.

Where do I get one of these magic erasers?

Mcquires polishing compound.

At walmart or wherever, they are used for cleaning. Just get the "original" as it has no chemicals added and is safe for the aquarium. I cut mine in half or fourths and I will get several uses out of it (just rinse after) and replace once it starts to wear out.

https://reefbuilders.com/2009/03/03/magic-eraser-clean/

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

does this work at all for glass?

I am not a fabricator of glass, so I don't know? From what I have heard it's next to impossible to buff out glass from deep scratches however, it's very hard to destroy glass from what I have experienced.

thanks for sharing tips!

No worries,

I like to share any knowledge that gets you closer to enjoying the clear beauty of acrylic.... :)

You have to follow the steps and in the correct order:

1. correct sand grid sheets.

2. correct order of which one you lay down first, second etc

3. the stroke in which you apply the first sand paper needs to go opposite the second stroke etc.

4. proper removal of residual sand paper grade to the next applied paper

5. buffing liquid and how you apply it and where, I like to use latex gloves and work it into the sanded area.

If you follow the 5 steps, you will get the correct results and it will look like new and even more impressive when water fills in the microscopic groves that will always be present in any treated plastic.

Hope this makes sense, but remember I am a fabricator of Acrylic so I am a bit more patient and persistent.

So what sand paper grits do you use? I may try to buff out another tank in the near future just for laughs...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

So what sand paper grits do you use? I may try to buff out another tank in the near future just for laughs...

That depends on how deep the scratches are. You work your way up from the lower grades to the much higher, 300 up to 8,000.

Archived