Jump to content
petolo

Marineland Portrait/Contour Owners Thread

Recommended Posts

petolo

Thought I'd start a thread for people who own these tanks to discuss likes/dislikes, modifications, upgrades and the like.

 

Personally I'm running a stock 5 gallon portrait with one AI Prime, you can see pics in my build thread. I've been considering changing the filtration since I think small particles make it through the sides of the slide in assembly and collect on the bottom becoming a breeding ground for ammonia, has anyone done this?

Share this post


Link to post
acampbell05

I have a  marineland portrait that I started about a month ago. It is still cycling. I would love ideas!  I would like to upgrade the pump and the light . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
andrewmedic08

Anyone do anything? 

Share this post


Link to post
LunaBug81

Hi everyone- Not only am I a newbie to nano tanks but I'm also a newbie to saltwater aquariums. I know, I know, probably not the smartest thing to start with a nano but due to space and time this is what I decided worked best for me. Plus- I love challenges.

Here's what I have/running:

  • Marineland Portrait 5 gallon tank
  • Fluval Sea Marine Nano bluetooth lighting
  • upgraded pump to - VicTsing 80 GPH pump
  • Hydor 50W Submersible Heater
  • Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector Attachment
  • Nature's Ocean Live Sand
  • 4-5lb Dry Live rock
  • Using filter floss and Chemi-Pure Blue Nano packets
  • Stocked with: Ocellaris Clownfish, Yellow Rose Goby, and one Nerite snails.

My tank has been up and running since October/November. I kick started the cycle with a dead shrimp and after cycling for a few months my levels are great. I decided to wait for fish until after Christmas due to out of town vacations. But now that I'm back the tank has gotten two new residents- Edna and Irene.  Letting them settle in for a while before adding some corals.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator
45 minutes ago, LunaBug81 said:

Hi everyone- Not only am I a newbie to nano tanks but I'm also a newbie to saltwater aquariums. I know, I know, probably not the smartest thing to start with a nano but due to space and time this is what I decided worked best for me. Plus- I love challenges.

Here's what I have/running:

  • Marineland Portrait 5 gallon tank
  • Fluval Sea Marine Nano bluetooth lighting
  • upgraded pump to - VicTsing 80 GPH pump
  • Hydor 50W Submersible Heater
  • Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector Attachment
  • Nature's Ocean Live Sand
  • 4-5lb Dry Live rock
  • Using filter floss and Chemi-Pure Blue Nano packets
  • Stocked with: Ocellaris Clownfish, Yellow Rose Goby, and one Nerite snails.

My tank has been up and running since October/November. I kick started the cycle with a dead shrimp and after cycling for a few months my levels are great. I decided to wait for fish until after Christmas due to out of town vacations. But now that I'm back the tank has gotten two new residents- Edna and Irene.  Letting them settle in for a while before adding some corals.

Seems to be all about the effort put in honestly. Stay on top of maintenance routines and almost anything can work from a jar to 300 gallons I'd bet, it looks like you've already got a great start from what this says. 

Share this post


Link to post
andrewmedic08
On 1/18/2019 at 3:32 PM, LunaBug81 said:

Hi everyone- Not only am I a newbie to nano tanks but I'm also a newbie to saltwater aquariums. I know, I know, probably not the smartest thing to start with a nano but due to space and time this is what I decided worked best for me. Plus- I love challenges.

Here's what I have/running:

  • Marineland Portrait 5 gallon tank
  • Fluval Sea Marine Nano bluetooth lighting
  • upgraded pump to - VicTsing 80 GPH pump
  • Hydor 50W Submersible Heater
  • Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector Attachment
  • Nature's Ocean Live Sand
  • 4-5lb Dry Live rock
  • Using filter floss and Chemi-Pure Blue Nano packets
  • Stocked with: Ocellaris Clownfish, Yellow Rose Goby, and one Nerite snails.

My tank has been up and running since October/November. I kick started the cycle with a dead shrimp and after cycling for a few months my levels are great. I decided to wait for fish until after Christmas due to out of town vacations. But now that I'm back the tank has gotten two new residents- Edna and Irene.  Letting them settle in for a while before adding some corals.

I started around the same time. We’re on the same boat. I upgraded the pump to a coblot 106gph. And the light is a hipagero. For back chambers I have filter floss then chaeto. Heater ceramic rings and return pump. 

Share this post


Link to post
LunaBug81
On 1/18/2019 at 4:30 PM, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

Seems to be all about the effort put in honestly. Stay on top of maintenance routines and almost anything can work from a jar to 300 gallons I'd bet, it looks like you've already got a great start from what this says. 

Thanks! So many people say Nano's are hard but I agree- as long as you stay on top of maintenance, checking levels, etc - it's pretty easy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
LunaBug81
On 1/20/2019 at 8:25 AM, andrewmedic08 said:

I started around the same time. We’re on the same boat. I upgraded the pump to a coblot 106gph. And the light is a hipagero. For back chambers I have filter floss then chaeto. Heater ceramic rings and return pump. 

Ooh- I didn't think about heater ceramic rings. Thinking of upgrading my pump again to something a little more powerful. Not much waves in my tank and my clown seems bored. haha!

Share this post


Link to post
andrewmedic08
On 1/23/2019 at 1:45 PM, LunaBug81 said:

Ooh- I didn't think about heater ceramic rings. Thinking of upgrading my pump again to something a little more powerful. Not much waves in my tank and my clown seems bored. haha!

What flow are you going to get? 

Share this post


Link to post
LunaBug81
On 1/25/2019 at 1:49 PM, andrewmedic08 said:

What flow are you going to get? 

Sorry I didn't message sooner- been a crazy few weeks.
I ended up getting: LifeGard Quiet One PRO 400 Pump (103 GPH). I have yet to install it though.

I also just added a Royal Gramma fish and am now debating a bubble tip anemone.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...