Pod Your Reef

Marineland Portrait/Contour Owners Thread

petolo

Thought I'd start a thread for people who own these tanks to discuss likes/dislikes, modifications, upgrades and the like.

Personally I'm running a stock 5 gallon portrait with one AI Prime, you can see pics in my build thread. I've been considering changing the filtration since I think small particles make it through the sides of the slide in assembly and collect on the bottom becoming a breeding ground for ammonia, has anyone done this?

• 2 years later...

I have a  marineland portrait that I started about a month ago. It is still cycling. I would love ideas!  I would like to upgrade the pump and the light . 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Hi everyone- Not only am I a newbie to nano tanks but I'm also a newbie to saltwater aquariums. I know, I know, probably not the smartest thing to start with a nano but due to space and time this is what I decided worked best for me. Plus- I love challenges.

Here's what I have/running:

• Marineland Portrait 5 gallon tank
  • Fluval Sea Marine Nano bluetooth lighting
  • upgraded pump to - VicTsing 80 GPH pump
  • Hydor 50W Submersible Heater
  • Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector Attachment
  • Nature's Ocean Live Sand
  • 4-5lb Dry Live rock
  • Using filter floss and Chemi-Pure Blue Nano packets
  • Stocked with: Ocellaris Clownfish, Yellow Rose Goby, and one Nerite snails.

My tank has been up and running since October/November. I kick started the cycle with a dead shrimp and after cycling for a few months my levels are great. I decided to wait for fish until after Christmas due to out of town vacations. But now that I'm back the tank has gotten two new residents- Edna and Irene.  Letting them settle in for a while before adding some corals.

• Like 1
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator
45 minutes ago, LunaBug81 said:

Hi everyone- Not only am I a newbie to nano tanks but I'm also a newbie to saltwater aquariums. I know, I know, probably not the smartest thing to start with a nano but due to space and time this is what I decided worked best for me. Plus- I love challenges.

• 4-5lb Dry Live rock

My tank has been up and running since October/November. I kick started the cycle with a dead shrimp and after cycling for a few months my levels are great. I decided to wait for fish until after Christmas due to out of town vacations. But now that I'm back the tank has gotten two new residents- Edna and Irene.  Letting them settle in for a while before adding some corals.

Seems to be all about the effort put in honestly. Stay on top of maintenance routines and almost anything can work from a jar to 300 gallons I'd bet, it looks like you've already got a great start from what this says. 

andrewmedic08
On 1/18/2019 at 3:32 PM, LunaBug81 said:

• 4-5lb Dry Live rock

I started around the same time. We’re on the same boat. I upgraded the pump to a coblot 106gph. And the light is a hipagero. For back chambers I have filter floss then chaeto. Heater ceramic rings and return pump. 

On 1/18/2019 at 4:30 PM, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

Seems to be all about the effort put in honestly. Stay on top of maintenance routines and almost anything can work from a jar to 300 gallons I'd bet, it looks like you've already got a great start from what this says. 

Thanks! So many people say Nano's are hard but I agree- as long as you stay on top of maintenance, checking levels, etc - it's pretty easy.

• Like 1
On 1/20/2019 at 8:25 AM, andrewmedic08 said:

I started around the same time. We’re on the same boat. I upgraded the pump to a coblot 106gph. And the light is a hipagero. For back chambers I have filter floss then chaeto. Heater ceramic rings and return pump. 

Ooh- I didn't think about heater ceramic rings. Thinking of upgrading my pump again to something a little more powerful. Not much waves in my tank and my clown seems bored. haha!

andrewmedic08
On 1/23/2019 at 1:45 PM, LunaBug81 said:

Ooh- I didn't think about heater ceramic rings. Thinking of upgrading my pump again to something a little more powerful. Not much waves in my tank and my clown seems bored. haha!

What flow are you going to get? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 1:49 PM, andrewmedic08 said:

What flow are you going to get? 

Sorry I didn't message sooner- been a crazy few weeks.
I ended up getting: LifeGard Quiet One PRO 400 Pump (103 GPH). I have yet to install it though.

I also just added a Royal Gramma fish and am now debating a bubble tip anemone.

• 8 months later...

I desperately need to upgrade the filtration on my 5 gal portrait. I don’t know where to start or what happens to the existing hole that my current pump goes through. How do I plug it up or do I? Or does Marineland have a standard sized hole that a new pump would fit nicely in. Need some help here please. 

• 1 year later...
On 11/13/2019 at 10:12 AM, Gee-Unit said:

I desperately need to upgrade the filtration on my 5 gal portrait. I don’t know where to start or what happens to the existing hole that my current pump goes through. How do I plug it up or do I? Or does Marineland have a standard sized hole that a new pump would fit nicely in. Need some help here please. 

What i plan on doing is cutting out the sump area to add to the space and put a hang on back filter thinking a Aqua Clear 50 should be more then enough. My plan is a nano reef tank with 2 clowns 

• 1 year later...

I'm curious, has anyone blocked the mid-level intake for this tank?  And if so, how did they do it? 

I find that the surface skimming is nearly non existent with the mid level intake.. plus i wonder how effective the water passes by through the media when it's not forced from top to bottom