Cultivated Reef

5 gallon BTA quarantine tank, what light to go with/DIY?

Halo_003

Just curious what light might be a good fit for a BTA quarantine tank. I'm not sure if I should build one or just get something like a PAR 38. I'd likely just put it on a timer unless I could get a cheap ramp up/down controller for it. I figure a PAR 38 wouldn't be a bad choice, but it's less easy to dim and control the color.

If I went DIY I could instead use two of the controllable RapidLED Nano drivers (have them), some 6"/12" heatsink, and something like 2x RB, 2x ultra marine blue, 1x cyan, 1x lime, 1x warm white, 2x neutral white.

Any ideas? I guess an easy option would be buy a V3 array from dave, set up as 2 channels, and power each channel with my Rapid Nano drivers.

HarryPotter

Why quarantine a bubble tip anemone? I don't understnad.

(Cant help on the lighting but a Par 38 would be cheap and work)

Why quarantine a bubble tip anemone? I don't understnad.

(Cant help on the lighting but a Par 38 would be cheap and work)

Mainly to ensure it's healthy before putting it in the display tank. The display is BTA dominant, I have 4 right now. I'd also use this to treat any if needed.

righttirefire

I kept mine mind a fluvel marine/reef led. I think you can get the nano fluvel for $100. Might not be a bad choice. What about an used ai prime?

I kept mine mind a fluvel marine/reef led. I think you can get the nano fluvel for $100. Might not be a bad choice. What about an used ai prime?

That's a good thought on the Prime, I also thought about maybe a used Kessil A150/160. I could use a china black box but I want to use quality LEDs to avoid having color loss.

So any opinions on using the Dimmable RapidLED Nano drivers with a single V3 array? If I go that route I have a heatsink I can use and would 3D print an enclosure. So it would cost me like $60-70 to do.

Cencalfishguy56

So any opinions on using the Dimmable RapidLED Nano drivers with a single V3 array? If I go that route I have a heatsink I can use and would 3D print an enclosure. So it would cost me like $60-70 to do.

just get a used 150 they are pretty cheap sometimes on eBay

just get a used 150 they are pretty cheap sometimes on eBay

True they can be had for reasonable prices, my thought is though if I go with a NB V3 array for ~$60, I already have everything else so it would cost me very little and give the same environment as my display. Downside with the RapidLED drivers I have is they'd need a timer, don't give me much to go off except a guess at the percent, unless I go with LDDs and a controller, at which point I could just buy a Kessil.

Archived