inTank Media Baskets

My First Reef Tank! Fluval M40

whiteblaze11

Sorry for never posting an update on my tank but been super busy graduating from college and finding job.

I decided to purchase the new AI Prime HD light because i was having too many issues with algae and not being able to control the light.

I had to black the tank out for three days which did help with a lot of algae but i still get a little algae on the sand and was curious if this is because my sand isn't getting any stirring up? I really would like to get a small hermit crab but i heard they are destructive and killers is this very true? Maybe was thinking about getting the smaller pistol shrimp for my goby. I really just some type of small crab or shrimp for my tank.

My corals are doing great my pulsing xenia has actually spread and attached to the rock next to it! I have been using the aqua vitro line for salt and supplements and seen great results.

I was wondering what anyone else is using for their AI Prime Settings? I included a pic of my settings.

I posted some pics of the tank and sorry for the crappy phone pics but they always go crazy because of the blue lights from the light.

post-52180-0-18690100-1485909424_thumb.jpg

post-52180-0-10404500-1485909439_thumb.jpg

post-52180-0-41992900-1485909498_thumb.jpg

post-52180-0-92354300-1485909524_thumb.jpg

it's looking good.

algae on sand is quite normal in the beginning.....especially when you are figuring out the lighting.

Hermits of any kind are good to have something to look at because they are always into something.......the bad part is they are always into something. lol

• 3 weeks later...
Christopher Marks

Looks like diatoms to me. Have you tested your water parameters lately (phosphates in particular)?

You might try reducing the level of the white and deep red light on your AI Prime during the day to see if it helps slow the algae growth. Try it out for a week or two. How long is your photo period currently?

2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Looks like diatoms to me. Have you tested your water parameters lately (phosphates in particular)?

You might try reducing the level of the white and deep red light on your AI Prime during the day to see if it helps slow the algae growth. Try it out for a week or two. How long is your photo period currently?

I attached a picture of my Prime settings. Im new to reef tanks and with there being so many colors used in the lights i get a little lost in what ones should be used more than others.

16899954_10208487994578303_2055022435_n.jpg

Archived