Cultivated Reef

JBJ 45 leagues under the sea - 4 years later

My tiny reef

My tiny reef

Over the last month I have transferred my biocube 14 to a JBJ 45. I am loving all of the new space, but am still adding rock and trying to finalize the aquascape. I'm up to 30lbs of Rock now and don't really want to add much more to the display? Should I add the extra 10-15 lbs to the back chambers? Is it necessary? I may add 1-2 more smaller rocks to display but that's all...

I want to clear off the sand bed as much as possible because I want to have a diamond goby and know it will cover anything in sand with sand! I love the giant new Tonga branch rock, just want to make sure I cover it correctly with coral. Thinking of moving my sun coral to the left side facing away from the light and MAYBE adding GSP to the bottom of the rock and see what it does. I may move my baby grandis palys to the middle of the branch, birds nest to the front left tip and look for a rainbow monti for the back tip...not sure for the right tip. For the platform I'm thinking either a clam or an elegance, which ever I don't put there I will put on the empty sand bed. Plan to move all the acans up to the middle rock. Want to cover the left rock with ricordea. Would like a chalice somewhere but not sure where yet. Thoughts? Suggestions??

FTS!

image_40.jpeg

Left side

image_41.jpeg

Right side

image_42.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My tiny reef

Photo dump of some tank inhabitants

Zoa and Shroom rock

image.jpg2_16.jpg

This thing is so puffy I want to snuggle in it.

image.jpg1_23.jpg

Baby grandis palys, anyone know how long they take to get "grande"?

image.jpg1_24.jpg

Tube anemone looking electric

image.jpg3_10.jpg

Cabbage leather

image_43.jpeg

Mushroom

image.jpg5_6.jpg

Halloween hermit and blastos

image_28.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
My tiny reef

A little cleaned up and moved around FTS.

image_45.jpeg

Still no fish, I'm at 6 weeks fishless after ich so I'm almost ready. My possum wrasse (aka mr. Mustache) is doing great in QT and I hope to move him into display in a week or so. I think my next addition will be flasher wrasse pair, not sure if I'm going McCoskers or carpenter....we'll see what the LFS has in stock.

A few other pics...some of my Zoas are coming back to life and taking off. I'm ready for a zoa garden!!

image_46.jpeg

image_47.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

• 2 weeks later...
My tiny reef

First fish in the tank, carpenter flasher wrasse!...There are so many colors and he looks different from different angles and in different light.

image_56.jpeg

He's really impressive when his dorsal fin is up, but it's hard to get a good picture of it. Here's it partially up.

image_55.jpeg

• 2 months later...
My tiny reef

How's the tank? Great stuff in there. Breath taking

Thanks for checking in! The tank is still plugging away, some ups and some downs. Some things like my zoas, gorgs, blastos and monti caps are doing fantastic, but some of my LPS are not looking great. My fish are also doing well except my flasher wrasse jumped I'm fighting off some of those spider web stringy snail things and GHA...but am making progress so trying not to get discouraged. I have summers off from work since I'm in the school system so I'm trying to get things cleaned up now.

• 3 years later...
My tiny reef

4 years later, lots of ups and downs with my tanks and still plugging along.  I miss some of these old inhabitants, but am learning what I can and cannot keep with the amount of attention I’m able to devote to the hobby during normal, busy life.  I’ve enjoyed having the extra time the past few weeks to increase water changes, clean things up and get some new additions. A few updated shots of the tank and current inhabitants.  My grandis palys took a while to grow, but once they did they took off and have formed a nice large colony with new babies every month.  My blastos have done well and the purple mushrooms and blue Zoas are taking over.  I actually had to pull a large rock out that was nothing but mushrooms and had killed most of my zoas.  I need to figure out how to contain or kill them.  Picked up the yellow coris wrasse yesterday and it hid in the sand for about an hour just peeking and watching but then came out and socialized with everyone. 

6E5D1D4E-C5FB-4F83-92F0-05A4A57EDB43.jpeg

6A1F54C5-4281-45C7-8125-3A264F5C023E.jpeg

C3748F07-4B80-40C8-9CF1-C252B15CB659.jpeg

772C62DA-D1FB-4F1A-A9E5-006A6F2E1B22.jpeg

67D0CE4D-B9E8-4072-BE8F-F5BC9C10E230.jpeg

0CF02866-C800-4A83-8300-472E0A6970E9.jpeg

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, My tiny reef said:

4 years later, lots of ups and downs with my tanks and still plugging along.  I miss some of these old inhabitants, but am learning what I can and cannot keep with the amount of attention I’m able to devote to the hobby during normal, busy life.  I’ve enjoyed having the extra time the past few weeks to increase water changes, clean things up and get some new additions. A few updated shots of the tank and current inhabitants.  My grandis palys took a while to grow, but once they did they took off and have formed a nice large colony with new babies every month.  My blastos have done well and the purple mushrooms and blue Zoas are taking over.  I actually had to pull a large rock out that was nothing but mushrooms and had killed most of my zoas.  I need to figure out how to contain or kill them.  Picked up the yellow coris wrasse yesterday and it hid in the sand for about an hour just peeking and watching but then came out and socialized with everyone. 

6E5D1D4E-C5FB-4F83-92F0-05A4A57EDB43.jpeg

6A1F54C5-4281-45C7-8125-3A264F5C023E.jpeg

C3748F07-4B80-40C8-9CF1-C252B15CB659.jpeg

772C62DA-D1FB-4F1A-A9E5-006A6F2E1B22.jpeg

67D0CE4D-B9E8-4072-BE8F-F5BC9C10E230.jpeg

0CF02866-C800-4A83-8300-472E0A6970E9.jpeg

Corals look great. I love the pic with the eyeball peeking out of the sand! 😊

• Like 1
My tiny reef
25 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Corals look great. I love the pic with the eyeball peeking out of the sand! 😊

Thanks! I love that pic too, she thought she was being so sneaky. 

• Like 2