inTank Media Baskets

Advice to make this BC29 aquascape better?! What do you think so far?

L.bacchus88

L.bacchus88

Hey guys, I'm working on my first aquascape for the BC29. This is what I've come up with so far. Anyone have any suggestions to make it better? I'm thinking it needs some more hiding spaces, I have one more medium piece of rock to break up and use. Thanks!

post-90663-0-19649800-1459038614_thumb.jpeg

L.bacchus88

Thanks! There are some little tunnels on the side that aren't really visible in the pic, but when I look at other scapes, it seems like there isn't enough dark hiding space for the fish. Lol I was thinking to maybe add some kind of table type arch or something over the middle. Hmm

L.bacchus88

Since it's my first aquarium I don't want to try anything too fancy yet. I was thinking a firefish, orange striped prawn goby, 2 different colored occelaris clownfish, and a royal gramma. I'd love to have a scooter blenny, but I don't have the means to feed one, so that will be a future aquarium.

clowns have always seemed to be trouble for me if I add them first. they get super territorial. might be a pain in the ass to the other fish so some hiding spots are a must. maybe add one more overhang or some sort of cave.

L.bacchus88

I'm not going to add the clowns first for that same reason. I'll work on my scape some more and see what I can come up with. :-) thanks!

the 3 holes i see, one on the right (2nd story), middle (2nd story) and middle (1st story/bottom), i would get a piece of shelf rock, real skinny, literally like a shelf, stick it in that hole, and let it hang over the middle of the sandbed, like a shelf coming out of a wall....

L.bacchus88

That's an idea. Thanks! I'll see if I can find a piece of shelf rock to test it out. I was also thinking of using the piece on the right and turning the left side into a cave area. I just don't want to fill the tank up and despise the scape after! hahah

• 2 weeks later...

That is kind of like my aqua scape in my 29 biocube. I would glue the top rocks for stability because I thought my rocks were stable and I knocked them over a week or 2 ago, also make sure you can clean your glass without hitting the rocks and leaving room between the glass and rock for coral growth.

L.bacchus88

They are actually all glued together as one lol I didn't want to take any chances. What do you think is too much sand? I want to get a Jawfish, so I added a shit load of sand- but I hate the way it looks lol I have 4 inches in there.

the more sand, the more you and some of your fish will like it... when you get cyano on the sand and need to siphon it once a week, that deep sand bed makes sure you don't have to add sand anytime soon... If you wanna jawfish, go for a blue spotted jawfish, i had one for over a year, their personality doesn't compare to any other fish, they're the coolest to watch... MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A LID... not just any lid, there can't even be a half inch gap anywhere, mine had like a 2cm gap, and my blue spotted jawfish became a carpet surfer...

L.bacchus88

Yeah, I wanted a blue spot Jawfish, but everyone says their success rate is very poor. Due to this being my first reef tank, and first fish, I figured maybe it's better that I get the yellow head Jawfish to start. My brother also swears that my first fish will def die while I learn to get better. Lol

Archived