ReefCleaners.org

MatthewDVM's Cubist Dream

Matthewdvm

Re-scaped the rock today, made a pair of towers with a narrow gap between them, and some good cave areas. I can now see my Rock Lobstah more clearly (he has chosen a more open hidey-hole), and there is more terrain for Seth and Christina (the clownfish) to cruise around in. Here are some quick iPhone photos (didn't have time to bust out the macro lens set up today):

Front FTS:

AE8CCA25-C7B3-41B6-8025-93BD1B3BC30D.jpg

Right FTS:

EAF42BB2-689C-46C6-A088-DD7F08E3E716.jpg

Left FTS:

2B9CADE6-0CB4-4BEC-BC3C-5B910EA937C4.jpg

Photobombing Christina:

119F6777-65FF-4E4A-B1A0-3BC6F2548D79.jpg

3CC1A3A8-C24D-42FE-8EBE-305029CFD75D.jpg

These Green People Eaters (I think that is what they are) came with the tank

C6CB9E79-1A93-498E-91F3-FD25133382EB.jpg

As did this crazy long-tentacled leather

2C6D45E6-72DA-46C0-B527-EE9F24E945D7.jpg

And these beautiful Zoas (ID, anyone?)

23CFE6B4-65EA-4F45-A0E8-DCAF731D9FC8.jpg

These small little Armour of God zoas were one of the only purchases I have made for the new tank so far (along with some Dragon Eyes Zoas)

34FF3E59-B774-4C63-B3F3-14EB855879D7.jpg

This Unhappy looking Purple and Green Ricordea was in my little tank and got moved across today. In the old tank, it made 3 babies, so hopefully I can keep it happy and multiplying in the new tank...

DEB22D6D-BC9D-478E-960D-F353BF120E75.jpg

And this fovea was the happiest looking coral that came with the tank, but is not looking as happy as when I bought it. Hopefully as things stabilize, he'll look better.

F7F981D4-6809-4712-96A9-23BC0129681B.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah. People at work keep asking if I'm going to get seahorses. Much to delicate for the rough and tumble world that is our house!

They would not have been right for our house when we had 3 boys at home either...however kids grow up and get married and then we parents can explore new things!

• 2 weeks later...
Matthewdvm

So today was a bittersweet day. The remainder of the corals from the Edge were transferred over to the Cube, and the Edge was shut down.

BUT! The Cube is looking great, and I have some new pictures to prove it!

Duncan is looking quite happy to be in his new home, nice a big and floofy. The Nuclear Green People Eater and the mushrooms in the corners are also pretty happy:

DSC04605.jpg

DSC04618.jpg

Close up of the NGPE

DSC04620.jpg

This is a nice big new Alveopora that I picked up. I need to get a video of it, cause it has great movement:

DSC04606.jpg

DSC04610.jpg

The Zoas came with the tank. ID, Anyone???

DSC04608.jpg

My Orange and Purple Yuma from the Edge tank

DSC04613.jpg

The Halloween Hermit Crab:

DSC04615.jpg

• Like 2
Matthewdvm

Congratulations on the final transfer! It's looking great!

Thanks, Teeny! I'm pretty happy with how things look.

• Like 1

So today was a bittersweet day. The remainder of the corals from the Edge were transferred over to the Cube, and the Edge was shut down.

BUT! The Cube is looking great, and I have some new pictures to prove it!

Duncan is looking quite happy to be in his new home, nice a big and floofy. The Nuclear Green People Eater and the mushrooms in the corners are also pretty happy:

DSC04605.jpg

DSC04618.jpg

Close up of the NGPE

DSC04620.jpg

This is a nice big new Alveopora that I picked up. I need to get a video of it, cause it has great movement:

DSC04606.jpg

DSC04610.jpg

The Zoas came with the tank. ID, Anyone???

DSC04608.jpg

My Orange and Purple Yuma from the Edge tank

DSC04613.jpg

The Halloween Hermit Crab:

DSC04615.jpg

These pics are great. I am glad that the transfer went well. It might be bittersweet saying good-bye to the little tank but I bet its great to have only 1 tank for WCs and checking parameters!
  • Like 1
Matthewdvm

I got a copepod culture today, along with a Rainbow BTA, a Dendro (my first non-photosynthetic coral) and a Psammacorra. They are settling in, and I haven't had a chance to take any pictures of the new additions. But yesterday I did a photo shoot, so here are some pictures:

This Hammer came with the tank, in sad, sad shape. It is beginning to show some improvement. And the Sexy Shrimp behind it was moved from the Edge.

DSC04624.jpg

DSC04626.jpg

This cool long-tentacled leather came with the tank, too:

DSC04629.jpg

I LOVE this zoa, that came with the tank:

DSC04670.jpg

And I think this one came with the tank, but I can't remember...

DSC04674.jpg

This Alveopora was a recent purchase. Biggest coral I've bought and really thrilled with the movement of the piece:

DSC04630.jpg

Not sure if this is a goniopora or an alevopora - I believe it is a goniopora:

DSC04631.jpg

The FIRST coral I ever bought - a hairy green mushroom (I bought 4 of them at the same time - this one is doing great, the other 3 are OK, but not like this one):

DSC04641.jpg

Purple and Orange Yuma (It's colour was better in the Edge - hopefully it improves):

DSC04642.jpg

Nuclear Green People Eaters - one of the earlier additions to the Edge, now waiting for the right location in the Cube

DSC04644.jpg

This Zoa (not sure what kind) is stretching a bit - I think he wants more light:

DSC04646.jpg

Armour of God Zoa - one of the first frags I got for the new tank

DSC04647.jpg

Dragon Eyes Zoa - the other first frag for the new tank

DSC04668.jpg

A few zoas from the old tank:

DSC04657.jpg

DSC04660.jpg

Chocolate Chip:

DSC04666.jpg

DSC04667.jpg

Duncan is growing nicely in the new tank:

DSC04648.jpg

And the first Goniopora I bought:

DSC04635.jpg

"Leon" the Cleaner Shrimp:

DSC04634.jpg

DSC04663.jpg

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

So it has been about 10 months since I posted anything.  Soon after the last post, the apex went wonky and the heater was stuck on overnight, and when I noticed the water was at 98 °F!  I lost a lot of corals, but surprisingly a bunch survived.  As a general rule, the zoas and mushrooms survived, but the anemones, duncan, and leathers did not.  Since then, I've been muddling along, but finally feel like I am getting things in order.  I picked up a large group of fish from another reefer, and have bought corals here and there.  I've had probably equal parts success and failure, but I think the water parameters are about where I want them, the algae is under control (thanks to Vibrant and NoPox) and it is time to share how the tank looks.  Anyway, here's a little video of the current state of affairs:

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

I've been way too quiet for way too long!  The tank is doing well.  The influx of fish and corals I mentioned back in March was too much for the tank, and parameters got out of whack, causing things to not go so well.  I lost some flowerpots (including a gorgeous one my clown fish liked to host in), and anemones (which my clown fish couldn't care less about), along with a few fish and some shrimp. I stopped adding fish/corals/inverts for about 5 months, continued dosing with No-Pox, stopped dosing with Vibrant (cause I didn't feel it was doing anything) and everything stabilized beautifully. Some things (like the Duncan and a birdsnest  that I thought got fried when the heater went haywire) have even come back from the dead.  The duncan had 2 heads initially, and one of them came back and has sprouted about 6 new heads.

Anyway, I'll go into more details later, but just wanted to post something (I has been so long since I posted, I couldn't remember which forum I had a tank thread on!!!), and put up some recent pictures...

DSC07842.JPG

DSC07826.JPG

DSC07820.JPG

DSC07815.JPG

DSC07864.JPG

DSC08254.JPG

DSC08221.JPG

• Like 4