SaltCritters.com

Making China LED Bluefish Compatible

Exquitas

Hello,

So I've got some basic electronic knowledge but just to be sure I would like to ask if I could make the following LED unit Bluefish dimmable.

Currently the unit gets controlled by two potentiometers (2 channels, 3pin connection on the potentiometer).

My question:

Is it possible to detach the 3-pin Molex connector from the potentiometer and use those connectors to dim the unit with the Bluefish controller?

Many thanks in advance for any help :)

51rPVW2KW6L.jpg

71WnwZbfQSL._SL1500_.jpg

jedimasterben

The short answer is possibly.

The long answer is you'll need to disassemble the unit and take a look at how it actually dims - just having potentiometers doesn't always mean that it dims via resistance only ;)

You will need relays to cut power to the drivers no matter what.

*sigh* why can't things just be simple once ...

Well, after I've finished work, I'll take some pictures of the units interior and then I'm gonna definitly need some help :D

I would start with identifying the potentiometer, then probe around with a multimeter to see what the max and min voltage/current the potentiometer supplies? I believe as long as you can mimic the range of power going through the potentiometers you should be fine. I don't have a bluefish but I assume it uses PWM to control a MOSFET?

I've found some Info on the drivers:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b03s3djrw83cjq3/Bildschirmfoto%202016-03-27%20um%2010.12.36.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmpsqrab91lipun/Bildschirmfoto%202016-03-27%20um%2010.12.51.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gnrfox6u5onsprz/Bildschirmfoto%202016-03-27%20um%2010.15.18.png?dl=0

Apparently it's possible to dim the leds with these drivers via PWM or Analog.

Also I did some tests on the 3-Pin Connectors of the Potentiometer... On the white and black wire are constantly 5V. So the Yellow one should be there for controlling right? If yes, how do I wire them up to analog control them with the Bluefish?

Cencalfishguy56

The short answer is possibly.

The long answer is you'll need to disassemble the unit and take a look at how it actually dims - just having potentiometers doesn't always mean that it dims via resistance only ;)

You will need relays to cut power to the drivers no matter what.

assistance is needed master Jedi Ben
jedimasterben

Figure out which pin is ground and then connect the Bluefish output to it. DC grounds are common, so you only have to connect it to one. I'm not sure if this driver is 5v or 10v, so I would change the jumpers on the BF to 5v, turn the light on, and measure wattage at the wall with a watt meter. If the light doesn't use the full wattage, you know to swap it to 10v.

Well I've ####ed up.

Checked everything twice and after all I've killed my blue channel (not dimmable anymore, even with the pots and now running at 20%)

The only thing I've managed to do was dimming it very shortly with the bluefish and after 30secs everything was over... Since then blue doesn't dim anymore

Gonna get some radions now -.-*

Archived