inTank Media Baskets

Jecod CP-40 "Cross Flow" (Gyre) Review

HarryPotter

what about the QUALITY. ive heard bad things:

"The cross flow probably uses as little material in its rotors as possible, the cheapest possible bearing material, the least amount of epoxy to seal the copper wires of the motor etc."

HarryPotter

Definitely not "sleeker than a Vortech"

Less protrusion out the side of the tank was what I meant.

what about the QUALITY. ive heard bad things:

"The cross flow probably uses as little material in its rotors as possible, the cheapest possible bearing material, the least amount of epoxy to seal the copper wires of the motor etc."

"Probably", the poster of that apparently had zero experience with it and was just guessing? I don't understand

Its nice thick plastic but I have NOT opened it up

JavaJacketOC

What are your thoughts on the modes ,and power levels of each mode? It seemed like you had to buy the extra controller to make it worth while.

HarryPotter

What are your thoughts on the modes ,and power levels of each mode? It seemed like you had to buy the extra controller to make it worth while.

• 10 power levels (Using "SPEED" button)
  • Controllable timing on EACH mode to set pulse frequency (Using dial)
  • Diagram of each mode is shown on the controller, thats a nice addition. I am using W1 but will try W3 later.
  • Feed mode

Has all I was looking for, I am not sure what you are referring to as "buy the extra controller"

IMG_5300_zpsiihvkesc.jpg

I don't understand

its easy, do you think it is quality made and will last? I'd want to know about the pieces sourced to make it. if it can last and function quietly for a couple of years it may be worth it.

HarryPotter

From http://www.fish-street.com/jebao_wifi_cross_flow_pump_cp-40

Seems like you can't get below 65% power without the Aqualink controller. How low does the water movement go when you have in on speed 1 vs. 10? Does it feel like it's 10% of th e max flow?

Aqualink T1 Controller
Jebao Controller
Mode Normal / Nature / Reef Plus / Gyre / Mix / Wavebox / Crosswise (Can set timer) Normal / Wavebox / Reef / Crosswise(Need Manual Press) Night Mode

Can Set scheduler time to set night mode(1 to 100%). NO Electrical or Lighting affection

Customer can set their own night outflow.

Genius Night mode will not sudden drop the flow when reach on night time, it will auto 60second to count down to slow the flow or wake up 60 second to avoid scray of fish

No this function

ClockWise Can set by Timer for Clockwise for 1mins to 999mins. Customer can set 20mins for normal/ 20mins for clockwise / 20mins for reef for self input Need Manual Press to function on and 4mins to 99mins Feed Mode 2 Feed Mode Function: Physical Feed mode button + 1mins to 999mins feed time. Schedule time Feed Time Function 10 Mins Feed Time Flow Rate 1 to 120% Output (Digital Setting from 1 to 120%, more Accuacy) 10 Speed Mode(Test 65% to 100%) Physical Button, cannot adjustable lower or accuacy flow rate Stable & Silent Stable IC chips to control, Protection of the pump without sudden damage, make the cirucult more accuacy and stable, for skimmer operation will more accuacy with same water level. Silent Function of controller will drop more 10% sound compare with orginial controller No this function OverClock Max can overclock to 120% (Depends on the machine physical element) No WiFi Yes . Mobile for Andriod / IOS, continous upgrade for future No Timer Timer can set as On/ Off(0%), to make the pump as timer function. Like continuous mode / healthy mode (see detail of the website photo) . Same like Apex controller function No Custom User can set on the pump operation on which mode during schedule time No Control Pump Max can control 3 Pump (A B C), idea to create with schedule time to generation mix different flow No

This is NOT the wifi version, this is the Jebao controller. I am not positive on the 10% thing, need to check that. The text above is somewhat unintelligible haha

JavaJacketOC

This is NOT the wifi version, this is the Jebao controller. I am not positive on the 10% thing, need to check that. The text above is somewhat unintelligible haha

Yeah, it pasted as the chart but then got all fcuked when I posted, lol. Just refer to the chart in the link.

"Probably", the poster of that apparently had zero experience with it and was just guessing? I don't understand

Its nice thick plastic but I have NOT opened it up

I think the original comment was implying that since it is a Jebao/Jecod branded product and not from a "trusted" brand like Maxspect/Ecotech it was made from bottom of the barrel parts. What makes that comment interesting is that the source blatantly praises other products that are obvious rebrands of Jebao/Jecod products or products made from the same production line.

but back to the topic - i am considering one of these in the future if I am able to grab one. definitely looks like it pushes a lot of water for the price point.

HarryPotter

its easy, do you think it is quality made and will last? I'd want to know about the pieces sourced to make it. if it can last and function quietly for a couple of years it may be worth it.

Oh I meant that the text you quoted was someone hypothesizing about it, he/she had not actually tried it.

To me the build quality seems pretty darn good. Thick plastic, the controller is tough, wires thick, etc. I am not planning on taking it apart unless there is an issue but if I do I will let you know.

This was also recommended by Pandamonium, who uses it in her (badass) tank and really likes it and its quality as well.

I think the original comment was implying that since it is a Jebao/Jecod branded product and not from a "trusted" brand like Maxspect/Ecotech it was made from bottom of the barrel parts. What makes that comment interesting is that the source blatantly praises other products that are obvious rebrands of Jebao/Jecod products or products made from the same production line.

but back to the topic - i am considering one of these in the future if I am able to grab one. definitely looks like it pushes a lot of water for the price point.

Yeah I googled the quote and read the source as well

It moves a lot of water and lifted detritus I didn't know existed

Paandemonium made a review with more in depth on the modes and such

Yeah, it pasted as the chart but then got all fcuked when I posted, lol. Just refer to the chart in the link.

Link isn't working either

See above post for Paandemonium's review that had more details on the modes and such

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Fish Stree won't ship them to US addresses.

You would be surprised haha. Buy a bunch and the restrictions fade away.

Someone throw one in an IM Nuvo 25 Lagoon and let me know how it does!

If you're going bare-bottom acro heavy it would be AWESOME.

• Like 1

I hate acros and bare bottom. :D I do have heavy sand though and quite a bit of flow currently though with two RW-4's but they are on lowest speed settings.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

I hate acros and bare bottom. :D I do have heavy sand though and quite a bit of flow currently though with two RW-4's but they are on lowest speed settings.

Lol haha I feel you. Well, I think it would work with careful aquascaping.

Fish Stree won't ship them to US addresses.

I can get either of you one cheaper than fish street SHIPPED.

• Like 1

Oh I meant that the text you quoted was someone hypothesizing about it, he/she had not actually tried it.

To me the build quality seems pretty darn good. Thick plastic, the controller is tough, wires thick, etc. I am not planning on taking it apart unless there is an issue but if I do I will let you know.

This was also recommended by Pandamonium, who uses it in her (badass) tank and really likes it and its quality as well.

Yeah I googled the quote and read the source as well

It moves a lot of water and lifted detritus I didn't know existed

Paandemonium made a review with more in depth on the modes and such

Link isn't working either

See above post for Paandemonium's review that had more details on the modes and such

Still a wire over the rim :blink: and holy ####ing dark edges on that tank!!!!
  • Like 1
HarryPotter

Still a wire over the rim :blink: and holy ####### dark edges on that tank!!!!

LOl yeah lots of dark edges but she knows what she's doing, probably has low light corals there.

One wire over the rim is much better than the MP40wQD sticking out the side

Nice video Harry.

How do you bump into the side of your MP40? Hugging the tank? I don't think I've ever come close to run into it on any of the tanks I've had

• Like 1
HarryPotter

In your opinion perhaps.

True

Nice video Harry.

How do you bump into the side of your MP40? Hugging the tank? I don't think I've ever come close to run into it on any of the tanks I've had

Well my tank is between 2 doorways, so yeah. First one my mom broke, I've dropped it myself once or twice.

Love the review. I am trying to decide between buying maxspec's version and the Jecod one.

Jecod: $140 but probably cheaper in the far future once ebay/amazon get them

Maxspect Gyre: $216

So currently $76 difference (using fish-street) but the gyre does come with extra parts which negotiate some of the savings if you ever need the parts.

Does the CP-40 have the old style thin blades or thicker more "rugged" ones that maxspect upgraded to?

If something breaks, how to do you get the parts to fix it for the cross-flow? I suspect this may not be an issue in the future but I don't think I see any parts listed anywhere and fishstreet says they won't ship to USA atm so I am not sure if they will warranty it either?

It's certainly not indestructible so fixing it is a concern. I did find reviews on another forum for the CP-40 and one person purchased theirs through reef-breeders and after a short while, one side was not turning/working. They were lucky though as reef-breeders replaced it for them. However, reef-breeders no longer sells them. Fixing possible breakage is a concern of mine.

"shout out to Jecod, they're good at knocking off other products"

lol. That's like telling the guy next to you in an exam who's just copying your answers, hey good job on getting that degree!

In seriousness though nice job on the video, $110 isn't a terrible price either.

• Like 1