peppermint shrimp confusion

Sai

Hi i was think of getting a peppermint to eat off the aiptasia in my tank. but after reading many post about peppermint and how scary they are in term of destroying people tank. i don't know weather to get them or not any more. can someone with experience with peppermint shine some light on this topic?

is it ok for me to add one to my nano cube?

how big are the risk i'm taking?

Thanks

Mine ate the new zoos that I got in, the same night I put them into my tank. He also started shredding the xenia I put in, but when a strand of mucous came off of the xenia he darted and hasn't bothered since. For safety sake, before I add anything else I will be returning my pepp.

hmm so far i see negative point to the peppermint

but since it only one post i think i'll wait a bit before i do anything.

Thanks for the information schaferfred, you properly save me some corals if i end up not getting it. =p

Peppermint shrimp usually don't bother anything and a small group is great in a reef tank as there young are fish food. The problem is the camel or hingebeak shrimp which looks like a peppermint, but has a hump on its back. They are notorious coral eaters and are sometimes sold as peppermint shrimp. Know the difference before you buy!

I have a peppermint...I do know the difference. I think it would be safe to say that some do wreak havoc and some don't. I don't think I would ever tell someone it is totally safe just from my own experience, because I have learned, never say never. Especially in this hobby.

Thank oldtimer, that made me feel alot easier about them, so i'm assuming that ppl that have problem with their peppermint shrimp is because they got the wrong strimp?

I was wondering how do you tell male from female, if i want to do what you do in your tank, and get a pair.

My peppermint shrimp has never bothered anything and is usually getting picked on by my cleaner.

Just make sure its a peppermint, not a camel back.

~

Just be careful Sai, like I said....I know I have a peppermint. It seems like just because their own peps don't cause any problems that everyone else must "have the wrong shrimp".

I was wondering can one of you post a picture of the real peppermint shrimp, cause don't want to search the net and a get a false picture and end killing my corals

Thanks

both mine are peppermints and only one is a problem. it is also important to note that there are 2 different locations pepermint shrimp are obtained from, and i am curious as to what the differing characteristics are, as one of mine is by far a darker red than the other.

I have been doing small reef tanks for 10 years. I learned long ago that there are no absolutes in this hobby. One man's blessing is another man's bane. You just have to play the percentages and hope it works. I have a 6 inch slasher mantis in a tank with 3 damsels that were to be food. They get along great, it's a female that doesn't hunt. Go figure.

I am very familiar with the difference between a peppermint schrimp and a camel back schrimp... Once you see a picture of each you will see that they are pretty distictive from each other.

That said, I added 2 peppermint shrimp to my tank a few years ago and they were an absolute terror. They did not kill any corals of mine but they would literally pull the food right out of my zoos and polyps and BTA stomachs with their thin little claws. They would also take any food away from hermits and were very aggressive at feeding time, making it difficult for my clown to feed. I also think it is important to have a lot of microlife in the tank (worms, pods, etc) and on a couple occations I caught the peppermints capturing worms from the sandbed and eating them. I am sure with time they would have decimated my microlife populations. I was very sorry I added them and could not get them out of my tank fast enough. But like other have said, some people say they have no problems with them so buyer beware. I would NEVER recommend them.

I had aiptasia and cleared it up completely using a kalk paste mixture quirted directly on the aiptasia. The peppermint shrimp is not necessary if that is why you want them.

just because their own peps don't cause any problems that everyone else must "have the wrong shrimp".
Hear hear! After watching peppermint shrimp devastate my small invertebrates (including sandbed clams, nassarius snails and terebellid worms), and having a fellow reefer's newly mounted mushrooms completely devored by them like little hors d'oevres, I have no interest in adding any to my tanks again.

They were definitely not camels, but maybe they were rathbunae rather than wurdemani (I never counted teeth on the rostrum), and maybe rathbunae is a baddy and wurdemani is well-behaved. Or maybe wurdemani can be nasty under certain circumstances. They will certainly eat newly molted brethren according to one breeder's report.

You feelin' lucky?

Originally posted by mogurnda

Hear hear!  After watching peppermint shrimp devastate my small invertebrates (including sandbed clams, nassarius snails and terebellid worms), and having a fellow reefer's newly mounted mushrooms completely devored by them like little hors d'oevres, I have no interest in adding any to my tanks again.

They were definitely not camels, but maybe they were rathbunae rather than wurdemani (I never counted teeth on the rostrum), and maybe rathbunae is a baddy and wurdemani is well-behaved. Or maybe wurdemani can be nasty under certain circumstances.  They will certainly eat newly molted brethren according to one breeder's report.

You feelin' lucky?

You took what I was saying wrong. What I was saying was that I have had problems with my peppermint and the people who haven't alot of times say "you must have a camel shrimp and not a peppermint".

I agree that all are different. I have never had a problem with mine, with the exception of yellow polyps. One of mine loves to feast on aiptasia and the yellow polyps look like them, so it was essentially my own fault. They are easy to become attached to also. Mine dives for my hand and eats from it (in the palm of my hand) as I feed the other corals. Mine aren't aggressive if they are fed. I think there are rogue shrimp out there just as with any type of livestock.

Just like I hate hermits, or any little crab for that matter (opportunistic little so and so's), but others have had nothing but good things to say about them. Weigh you options and check up on your livestock before buying them, then make your decision.

You took what I was saying wrong.
I was agreeing with you. But then adding a caveat that there is lore that rathbunae is meaner than grabhami. I was really asking the original poster if they were feeling lucky.

Sometimes I am remarkably unclear.

lol

Thanks for all the inputs.

I guess this is turning into a buyer beware, watch and be scare. =p

i'll guess if i do get one i would have to keep an eye, actually make that 2 eye on him and make sure he doesn't do anything bad to my corals.

Archived