Pod Your Reef

Verify what I believe these are?

JCase

Thanks for the help in verifying these corals are what I believe them to be.

Green Torch Coral

E1IyJVA.jpg

White Torch Coral

fHfq88m.jpg

Candy Cane Coral

laHFWP5.jpg

Metallic Green Trumpet Coral

Xp13FMp.jpg

ND4YCMh.jpg

Green Star Polyps

QuEaY2f.jpg

Everything looks accurate, although your white torch is most likely just bleached.

I hope not, he came in that color and was in the same tank as the green one when I got him.

How can I tell if he's bleached?

Everything looks accurate, although your white torch is most likely just bleached.

Was about to say the same thing. Just looks bleached to me.

Give it time , and food . It should bounce back

I got the 2 torches on the 18th, 3 days ago. Today being the 21st.

I'm running a nano box large (2 LED groups) lights set at:

RB 60%

W/L 30

V 75

C/B 60

Natural sun on

Should I scale back the lighting for a few days?

I thought the white torch was white not bleached out, or do white torches not exist?

Thank you,

JCase

gulfsurfer101

Yeah that's bleached! What a d!ck to pass that off as a white torch! I'd stay away from whoever you got that from in the future!

Perched Urchin

I'd tend to agree that "white" torch is bleached; however, I did have a colony that had about 30 heads that I had ordered from wholesaler as "yellow" that came in looking just about like that, maybe slightly more color, and it seemed to be healthy and stayed that color as long as I had it. I sold it when I broke down my system last year, but I had it for about 18 months.

First off how high is you nanobox off the tank?

I'd back the lights off to no more than 30-40% peak to start with and work up to your desired level 5% or so a week.

The 'white' torch is showing signs of stress and as well as appearing bleached the flesh has pulled up from the bottom of the skeleton (see the white skeleton exposed under the polyp in your photo).

As others have said, give it time and some spot feeding and make sure it's not in to higher lighting straight off.

Cool, monitor your stock and see how it does and adjust as necessary.

When ever you get new coral, unless where your getting it from has exactly the same lights as you at the same settings and your putting the coral the same height in the water column, the new additions will need time to adjust to your lighting and you can inadvertently kill a coral very quickly if you don't give it time to acclimate.

Cool, monitor your stock and see how it does and adjust as necessary.

When ever you get new coral, unless where your getting it from has exactly the same lights as you at the same settings and your putting the coral the same height in the water column, the new additions will need time to adjust to your lighting and you can inadvertently kill a coral very quickly if you don't give it time to acclimate.

How is existing coral effected by lowering the light levels for new stock?

With the new light unit it's slightly different, everything will be getting light and 40% with LEDs (especially nanobox pucks) is going to be more intense lighting than you might expect and your corals will need time to adjust.

If something isn't getting enough light it will just extend and get bigger to try an catch more light, this will of course be resolved once you've increased your light levels to where you and your corals are happy.

Once the tank is acclimated to your new light and you've brought it up to the brightness you want (I'd guess probably no more than 50-60% peak), any new additions added then on are best started on the sand bed off to the edge of the tank where the light is less intense and then slowly move your new coral to where you want it/where it's happiest.

With the new light unit it's slightly different, everything will be getting light and 40% with LEDs (especially nanobox pucks) is going to be more intense lighting than you might expect and your corals will need time to adjust.

If something isn't getting enough light it will just extend and get bigger to try an catch more light, this will of course be resolved once you've increased your light levels to where you and your corals are happy.

Once the tank is acclimated to your new light and you've brought it up to the brightness you want (I'd guess probably no more than 50-60% peak), any new additions added then on are best started on the sand bed off to the edge of the tank where the light is less intense and then slowly move your new coral to where you want it/where it's happiest.

Thanks for the info...

The nano box retro is mounted in the existing hood therefore they are inches above the water line.

Are you saying that the levels I changed to may still be to high?

Possibly, what where the light levels like from your old lights?

Best thing is to observe the tank carefully over the next few days and watch for signs of bleaching. If corals start looking colourless, washed out and suffering tissue recession then back the lights down some more, if not all is fine and after a week or 2 start ramping them up slowly.

Yeah that's bleached! What a d!ck to pass that off as a white torch! I'd stay away from whoever you got that from in the future!

God I know right. I have seen so many people get "duped" into buying all kinds of nonsense that many LFS owners just made up. I think the best was the time I saw an LFS selling literal plugs of aiptasia as glass anemones for $29.99. What a steal! :lol:.

Still a pretty torch though!

gulfsurfer101

I walk into every lfs as a total newb thwn ask a bunch of newb questions. If I don't like what I hear I walk smooth out! I'll turn my back as they talk and just leave! Needless to say I only shop at a few shops, some over 3hrs away from me at times. The few that I still frequent are very knowledgeable and wouldn't screw a person over rather than help them!

• 2 weeks later...

You got some decent sized vermetid snails attached to that metallic green trumpet. I hope those didn't cost extra. I'd pinch them off with tweezers before they start irritating the corals.

Good luck with that bleached torch. The recession at the bottom is a little worrisome, but the PE makes me think you'll be OK.

Archived