Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

FlowerMama
Just now, Pjanssen said:

Nice additions Annette

Thanks.  I love my new file fish!!  The other I'm a little worried about as I never saw the longnose be aggressive until today.  Now he's sitting on the red macro too, and the Tangaroa is right below him.  If I decide to return him I'll try taking him over to the new lfs here and see if he wants to trade something.  That's presuming I can catch him.

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Feeling crappy all week and when I was off last week.  Went to work 3 hrs later on Tues and today I said screw it all together.  You know when you're not feeling good but your workplaced gives you points and verbal and written warnings to treat you like a chid.  Chronic Bronchitis-  they gave me a nebulizing treatment right there w/ dexamethosone shot, then go home w/ albuterol sulfate inhaler, codeine cough syrup, prednisone for 10 days, amoxycillin for 7.   Making some soup now.  I lost 5 lbs, probably generating a 6 pack from all the coughing, working my core!!

• Like 3
On 6/3/2017 at 5:49 PM, FlowerMama said:

He upgraded, you can see his little pipe organ tuft below.  I'm glad he did, I want the pipe organ to grow down the sides.  He still goes to it occasionally but not as much.

However, as gentle as he is I saw him today go after the Tangaroa goby.  He's never shown any aggression to anybody.  So perhaps it's a similar "shape" that's annoying him?  

20170603_174351_zps3m57hu9m.jpg

I love it!!

Well, this stinks.  The baby nems in this tank are shut and so is the baby rose coral.  But the 3 or 4 aptasia I have are live & well.  Why couldn't the file fish pick on what it should???  I love this tank and him in it.

So I will have to put it in with the 6-line which is the tank that is to be for a mantis down the road.   Bummer!  It's so cute the way it flutters about so gently.  I don't see a good ending once a mantis goes in that tank, unless again, it's another small one like Gert.  OR just slightly bigger if I got Havanensis at max 3".  I think that means Peacock is out.

7 hours ago, FlowerMama said:

Well, this stinks.  The baby nems in this tank are shut and so is the baby rose coral.  But the 3 or 4 aptasia I have are live & well.  Why couldn't the file fish pick on what it should???  I love this tank and him in it.

So I will have to put it in with the 6-line which is the tank that is to be for a mantis down the road.   Bummer!  It's so cute the way it flutters about so gently.  I don't see a good ending once a mantis goes in that tank, unless again, it's another small one like Gert.  OR just slightly bigger if I got Havanensis at max 3".  I think that means Peacock is out.

You can re-home the Filefish with me once you are ready to put a Mantis in there. 

I've been wanting a File like that, and he'd go in my 40B that I'm setting up soon. 

• 3 weeks later...
FlowerMama
On 7/2/2017 at 7:57 PM, markalot said:

I am a month late!  Congrats on TOTM last month, this is a very pretty tank!

Oh thank you.  I appreciate it !  I was so shocked.

• Like 3
On 7/5/2017 at 2:40 PM, teenyreef said:

How are things going with the filefish? Did you rehome him yet?

No, but when I took him out of the tank with 6line, it healed his eye up, so I'm really happy about that.  I haven't decided yet what I want to do because I do like him, he's so damn cute.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, FlowerMama said:

No, but when I took him out of the tank with 6line, it healed his eye up, so I'm really happy about that.  I haven't decided yet what I want to do because I do like him, he's so damn cute.

Yeah, he really is - I'd have a really hard time giving him up!

• Like 1
On 7/5/2017 at 2:40 PM, teenyreef said:

How are things going with the filefish? Did you rehome him yet?

• Like 1

Haven't seen it in a while.  I have 6 males spawning right now but since I had to put the Matted filefish in the nursery I don't see 4 babies in the nursery anymore.   I turned off the skimmer.  I may end up stopping with the nursery for babies.  It takes so long to grow them I'm losing interest in them in the nursery.   And they may be gone after the file fish bothered them.  Been along time since I saw spawning activity.  Cloudy tank !!

Now it's 7 spawning.  Nope, now 8.

• Like 3

My sister comes up from IN to see me & my parents tomorrow and the twins, they just turned 3 two weeks ago so I can't wait to see them.  I've also been Ubering to make more money so I haven't been on as much.  I'm sorry.  My sister is also bringing my aquatic freshwater plants so I can put them in my 4 male betta tanks and then the sorority in the 10g w/ 6 females.  I'll put some pics up when I'm done.  Electric bill went up about 30 so that's all the extra outlets, like 3 per tank.  I need a man, not more fish, but I got sucked in when in April I went to my friend's house for her wedding celebration and they had betta vases on the outdoor tables.   All of them will have real plants.

Also, I put the 6line in the fuge of the nursery so I can empty out the 20g and start over.  Rock has been removed and now I need to empty the water and old sand and clean it.  Buy substrate and rock and then peacock.  Still a good ways away.  

• Like 8
StinkyBunny

Hawks in general are quite dominate fish. He should have settled down by now. As you found out with the filefish, they're hit or miss, mostly miss. That Tangaroa goby should pair up with a Tiger pistol shrimp.

One word of caution about the Peacock mantis shrimp, make sure that it's not damaged, they sometimes have broken shells which is a death sentence for them. You'll see dark cracks which is a bacterial infection. Congrats on the TOTM.

For some reason I haven't been getting notifications about your thread. Sorry about the bronchitis, I've been battling with the nerve damage from the accident and now I have Lyme disease.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2017 at 9:02 PM, StinkyBunny said:

aih95OY.jpg

Pretty !  Sorry to hear about your Lyme disease, UGH.  car problems and Lyme Disease, this has been quite a time for ya.   I myself haven't posting as much.  I've started Ubering for more money but 2 bouts of the bronchitis in a row wore me out.    My sister visited w/ my niece and nephew so it was a blast seeing those cuties.  I still have water and sand to remove from Gertie's tank so I can get a mantis.  My macro algae in my 40 grows fast so I just threw some away, the bunch was in a corner and I needed room for the large toadstool there.  Still wanting a yellow fiji and a weeping willow if I can.  On a great note the baby rock flowers in the 40g are doing well but I can't find the ones in the nursery not surprisingly but I had to put the file fish in there because he would have done more damage in the 40g.  One rock flower in the 40 is definitely dime size so soon it will be a nickel, then a quarter.  I need to take pics.

In general I've been trying to sell makeup, and uber and now exercise since I'm very much out of shape.  Went hiking with my sister and of course it was probably too soon for that higher elevation hiking when you had bronchitis so recently but I had to stop so often I was mad at myself for letting myself get this out of shape.  I've also gotten into another bad addiction.  Bettas.   Since an April outdoor wedding I saved a vase betta and now I have 4 males and then started a sorority tank with 6 females.  I should be putting in the females later this week.  Here's what I have going on.  

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/1stimereefer003/20170617_233016_zps3qxx4l2r.jpg.html

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/1stimereefer003/20170718_230343_zpsfsujrrt1.jpg.html

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/1stimereefer003/20170724_175731_zpsbvjywfbc.jpg.html

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/1stimereefer003/20170730_234715_zpsevhbe2me.jpg.html

Some of the girls waiting.  I have 6 going in and they have to establish a pecking order, if one is too much of a bully or always getting picked on I'll adopt him out to a friend.  The blue one passed away but I have this one as an alternate now.  Pretty girl.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/1stimereefer003/20170723_162133_zpsxq7kou7v.jpg.html

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/1stimereefer003/20170705_001754_zpsonktmmad.jpg.html

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/1stimereefer003/20170730_235210_zpsezuecrtq.jpg.html

• Like 1

25 hrs later all the female bettas are alive !!  Yay, love my girls.  This is my first planted tank ever.   Can't wait to see how it grows/fills in.  My 10g sorority w/ 6 girls.

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
3 minutes ago, gena said:

Hi, Annette!  I love your FW betta tank!  Never seen such pretty female bettas before :wub:.  Looks like such a peaceful tank!

Thank You.  It is so far.  I had the bettas sitting in their 6 cups for a month on the kitchen window sill while it was cycling.  I mixed up the cup locations daily so they'd get used to seeing each other.  The blue one was the latest, she replaced a blue one that was sick and then another that jumped into the drain, of course while there was a sink load of dishes, and she finds herself right down.  So I was feeding her 1 pellet more than the others but she still didn't grow fast enough before I put them in.  I'm happy they're doing well so far.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

What a beautiful planted tank! I've never seen a sorority of betta fish like that before. I didn't realize they were so pretty!

Yeah, I honestly never paid attention to females.  And they really can be pretty.  I feel sad for the males, have to live so alone w/ exception of a shrimp or snail or maybe a few tetras.  The females have a community.  Can't wait to see the dynamics play out.  The cream is queen so far, she already was protecting her vertical space from the cream resin branches to the top of the water.  The blue one is the smallest.  Now I have to learn about plants.  Luckily my sister has a 190g tank, it was her reef, she had twins and made it freshwater for easiness and less expense.  But her lights were still over it.  She used to throw away handfuls of plants weekly, the growth so intense!!  So she gave me like 4 different kinds.  I used to have freshwater but it got boring.  I still love saltwater but I'm enjoying this new interest in freshwater planted.

• Like 1

Yeah, every couple weeks I have to trim back all the plants in my planted tank because they all grow so fast. It's great nitrate export!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2017 at 11:51 PM, teenyreef said:

Yeah, every couple weeks I have to trim back all the plants in my planted tank because they all grow so fast. It's great nitrate export!

What do you have going on for planted?  Lemme see!!!  I did have some plant die off but getting new leaves.  I have a new plant of wisteria completely just blacken and wither up and cabomba doesn't like my lights really.  More to learn!  

• Like 1