Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

21 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I can't like that post because of the bubble algae, but I definitely like it because of the Mickey Mouse :lol:

When I removed it I just couldn't help myself.  It was "cute". 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, FlowerMama said:

When I removed it I just couldn't help myself.  It was "cute". 

Bubble algae would be quite pretty if it wasn't so invasive and evil. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Luckily I've never  had a big problem, I count like 3 in the whole tank and it's always a spot with little flow, like the underside of where a clam is.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I can't tell you how many times I've had people say how pretty that is (pointing at the bubble algae) :wacko:.  I just cringe LOL.

• Like 5
StinkyBunny

If you're not running carbon, put some on there with those leathers. I run it on all the tanks I have leathers in, Poly filters don't work on leather goo.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, gena said:

I can't tell you how many times I've had people say how pretty that is (pointing at the bubble algae) :wacko:.  I just cringe LOL.

Yeah, people think they look like black emeralds or something.

10 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

If you're not running carbon, put some on there with those leathers. I run it on all the tanks I have leathers in, Poly filters don't work on leather goo.

Yeah, I definitely have carbon, luckily I only found like 3 bubbles.  I've been able to take out 2 of every 3 when I've had it.

• Like 2

Ive had bubble algae a couple times. I've gotten all my frags from the same store, so I know it came from there, but I removed it each time and haven't seen it since.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's great if you find it in the beginning.  I also take that as I sign I need to up my water change schedule.  Especially after feeding 31 nems.  And I'm sure stuff gets exuded from the leathers too that I'd need more water changes too.

• Like 2

I should specify, I have gotten everything from that store, including fish, etc. except for my live rock, and I didn't have bubble algae until long after adding live rock, cycling, etc.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:48 PM, FlowerMama said:

Yeah, it's great if you find it in the beginning.  I also take that as I sign I need to up my water change schedule.  Especially after feeding 31 nems.  And I'm sure stuff gets exuded from the leathers too that I'd need more water changes too.

I have been lazier about my water changes as well, and I think that's why the cyano was being so mean to me!

On 2/13/2017 at 6:39 PM, FlowerMama said:

So most of the time my nems don't move, but of course when it does, I'm assuming it's a female as I've had that happen in the past, try to get a new comfortable spot before you birth. But this pink one that was in the front to the right of those two green ones moved to the left and in a dark space where the oyster is on the bottom so I hope it doesn't get squished. It needs to come into the light again.

It's stuck on the left and behind.

20170213_202938_zpsbitc1ual.jpg

Here's a slightly better pic of the 3 fish among the flowers & leathers.

20170213_203017_zpsqc3s4zw0.jpg

Wow! You have such an amazing variety of RFAs in this tank.  Have you ever raised one from "birth" to full size?  Just curious how long they take to mature. I had a new RFA recently give birth to two babies last week.

I'll chime in on that question... about a year assuming decent lighting, feeding and nothing picking in on them.  The first of those born in my tank last August are about the size of a quarter; the smallest I've seen available for sale in stores  were about the size of a 50 cent piece.  So I give them about another 2-3 months before I'm ready to dole them out to reefer friends and the local stores.  

Key to growing them out is to learn to recognize when they need what size of foods and how frequently.  The larger they get, the bigger pieces of food they need but they start to need it less often.  When they're about the size of a split lentil they tend to need small particulate food every day, but when they can take a whole cyclops/canalus and start "snagging" bits you need to back them down to a feeding every 2-3 days or they'll start having food rot in their gut before they can fully digest it.

Love the spread o' nems there, FlowerMoma.

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, BulkRate said:

I'll chime in on that question... about a year assuming decent lighting, feeding and nothing picking in on them.  The first of those born in my tank last August are about the size of a quarter; the smallest I've seen available for sale in stores  were about the size of a 50 cent piece.  So I give them about another 2-3 months before I'm ready to dole them out to reefer friends and the local stores.  

Key to growing them out is to learn to recognize when they need what size of foods and how frequently.  The larger they get, the bigger pieces of food they need but they start to need it less often.  When they're about the size of a split lentil they tend to need small particulate food every day, but when they can take a whole cyclops/canalus and start "snagging" bits you need to back them down to a feeding every 2-3 days or they'll start having food rot in their gut before they can fully digest it.

Love the spread o' nems there, FlowerMoma.

Thanks! So it look about 9 months to grow to the size of a quarter?  That's pretty slow.  

Just my own experience... maybe some of the other rfa-whisperers here on Nano-reef have a better method to their madness.

But yeah... this is not the fast path to fame & fortune.   ;)

I've never had one grow from birth.  But mine birthed 11/25 and my largest is 1/4".  So, yeah, slow process.  Others at the same time are smaller.   So you're feeding them a lot more than what you're paying for one.  However, part of my joy IS the process and seeing how they change daily.

I haven't been as active lately, I got down after Gertie passed and then now I'm also an Independent Distributor for SeneGence, and I LOVE their LipSense line.  It's incredible.  I was hooked after I bought one lip color and gloss, now I'm to 5 and then Sat night late I signed up.  So, this week I'm busy reading as much as I can and learning what I can do.  And I don't know what I can do but I do know one thing, doing this on the side is making my 8-5 job more bearable.  

• Like 3

I bought a really pretty RFA (my first one ever) and thought of you.

There is a pic in my thread, but it has sand on it and I didn't want to disturb it to get the sand off. I will try to get the sand off when I do a water change tonight.

Do RFAs have fancy designer names depending on their color?

• Like 1

Been a while since I've checked out your thread. The tank is looking quite spectacular. I love the mix of softies and rfas. 

Also, the mickey mouse algae was super cute lol

On 3/22/2017 at 8:48 PM, FlowerMama said:

I've never had one grow from birth.  But mine birthed 11/25 and my largest is 1/4".  So, yeah, slow process.  Others at the same time are smaller.   So you're feeding them a lot more than what you're paying for one.  However, part of my joy IS the process and seeing how they change daily.

I haven't been as active lately, I got down after Gertie passed and then now I'm also an Independent Distributor for SeneGence, and I LOVE their LipSense line.  It's incredible.  I was hooked after I bought one lip color and gloss, now I'm to 5 and then Sat night late I signed up.  So, this week I'm busy reading as much as I can and learning what I can do.  And I don't know what I can do but I do know one thing, doing this on the side is making my 8-5 job more bearable.  

Good to hear you're keeping busy! Try to fit in time to post some pictures of the tanks, though, they are so pretty :D

On 3/24/2017 at 6:37 PM, xAyanex said:

I bought a really pretty RFA (my first one ever) and thought of you.

There is a pic in my thread, but it has sand on it and I didn't want to disturb it to get the sand off. I will try to get the sand off when I do a water change tonight.

Do RFAs have fancy designer names depending on their color?

No, most people just say the red ones, the green, the white/frost, the rainbows.  

• Like 2

I think when your babies get a little bigger, you should make up cool names for them. Then you can sell them for a bajillion dollars and quit your day job :) 

• Like 3
On 3/28/2017 at 9:49 AM, Shoob1e said:

Did you do anything for the rfas to spawn? Im setting up a lagoon right now for rfa and a couple btas. Nice tank!

No, they just have to mature enough sexually and they should spawn. I haven't seen any spawning now since my last video/pics whenever that was.   I'm wondering if either a) it doesn't happen at this time of year or b ) what the leathers secrete into water is somehow preventing them from spawning.

2 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I think when your babies get a little bigger, you should make up cool names for them. Then you can sell them for a bajillion dollars and quit your day job :) 

The boogers take so long to grow that I can't see how you make money on them.  I have that is 1/4" now. That's it.  All the others are smaller than that.  I'm thinking I'll just give the guy a $100 for this tank since I told him he'd get $100 in trade but it's been so long and they grow so painfully slow.

I did start selling a wonderful lip color brand called LipSense that I am completely in love with, addicted to.  I took this picture 1.5 mos ago at the party I was at and you're supposed to have 3 layers of the color.  I only put one and I love the look.

20170311_192115_zps61vjlmdk.jpg

• Like 4