Top Shelf Aquatics

CSalt's 20" Cube MH life

Csalt

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced one of the Blue+ bulbs with an Actenic.

It hasn't really grown fast but here's a before and after of the Pocillapora.

When I first got it, it was missing flesh and had algae growing on it.

20160420_165947_zpscpocwnn7.jpg

Dat polyp extension now.

20160902_165024_zps9ie6rjzu.jpg

• Like 1

Read through your thread start to finish. Ha ha, like you I decided my tank needed sumped after it was up and running. I had a 90 gallon at the time with a lot of livestock so I went with a HOB overflow box. That was in 2007 and I have used it ever since, even when I downsized.

Your diy sump is prettier than mine. I like the clean, uncluttered look of your tank too. Good job.

I also have t5 lights. They are pretty good for growing most everything. I also had an Aquaticlife fixture. I loved the programable feature but was disappointed that the bulbs were shorter than the fixture. I used 24" bulbs in a 30" fixture. I just put my low light coral at each end of my tank.

Read through your thread start to finish. Ha ha, like you I decided my tank needed sumped after it was up and running. I had a 90 gallon at the time with a lot of livestock so I went with a HOB overflow box. That was in 2007 and I have used it ever since, even when I downsized.

Your diy sump is prettier than mine. I like the clean, uncluttered look of your tank too. Good job.

I also have t5 lights. They are pretty good for growing most everything. I also had an Aquaticlife fixture. I loved the programable feature but was disappointed that the bulbs were shorter than the fixture. I used 24" bulbs in a 30" fixture. I just put my low light coral at each end of my tank.

I should have sumped it in the beginning but I was all, "I'm going to go sumpless, no hob or anything." That didn't last long lol.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Left for Vacation yesterday. Currently in florida for the week. Thinking about swinging by gulf live rock. Hit a wall in growth. Xenia hit a growth spirt though and the bta is doing great. The rfa is still alive with zero improvement. Thinking about adding a skimmer and seeing if that helps with coral growth. I may have nitrates even though testing shows zero. Dragons breath isn't really growing. May be due to light. Might invest in a par bulb. Right now its a 6w 5k led bulb.

Gone for 7 days and tank was fed once during that time. Came back and it was dirtier than I was expecting.

These are the params before my weekly water change. Only doing 2 gals but may need to start doing 3?

Sg 1.023

cal 420
KH 10
mag 1290
ph 7.8
getting ready to do a change and i'll retest tomorrow, posting the results.
quick phone pic.
20161022_192929_zpstyxglvfb.jpg
  • Like 3

Gone for 7 days and tank was fed once during that time. Came back and it was dirtier than I was expecting.

These are the params before my weekly water change. Only doing 2 gals but may need to start doing 3?

Sg 1.023

cal 420

KH 10

mag 1290

ph 7.8

quick phone pic.

It looks clean now!
Cencalfishguy56

Sg 1.023

cal 420
KH 10
mag 1290
ph 7.8
quick phone pic.

I do 5 gallons a week on my 20 Long and things stay clean even if I miss a week, maybe try bumping it up?

I usually can go a month before I have to clean the back glass. I get that fuzzy brownish algae growth.

Here's some pics I took at the Tampa aquarium. Really digging the nem tank. I would like to have a cube all nem tank. Someday....

Also I wonder what the life expectancy is for the nems in the touch tanks, They have great color and have kessil 350 lights over them, but they're like 5 feet over the tank.

20161017_115400_zpsbhjafawn.jpg20161017_115610_zpsowmlhcb5.jpg20161017_120041_zpsajxdswxh.jpg

• Like 2

Day after water change

ph 8.1
KA 10
Cal 440
Mag 1260
SG 1.023 (working on raising it)
Not sure why mag is lower after water change. Any suggestions? Using RSCP salt.
I don't have a lot of corals. I also have like no Coralline either, Tiny patch that came on a plug but hasn't spread in like 6 months.
edit: Phosphate shows 0.
edit#2 I think raising my salinity back to 1.025 will bump up the mag on its own.
  • 2 weeks later...

RFA is moving around which is great. It moved 1/3 of the way across the tank, woke up with it rubbing against my duncans though, and when I got home from work it was back in it's normal spot. I moved the duncans off the rocks. It'll keep the nem off them plus on the bottom there are 3 small buds which probably would never have grown If they stayed in the original spot due to shadowing. BTA moved to the back of it's rock to a larger crevice, I assumed that would eventually happen since its much larger than it used to be.

Also thinking about getting a 25g cube with LED sometime in the future.

• Like 1

Added a candy cane pistol shrimp and an emerald crab. Only got to see the pistol shrimp for about 5 seconds before he buried himself under a rock and the crab may have to go, or be moved to the sump. Caught him eating my sps.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up a small RBTA and monti frag tonight. The nem has a small tear in the bottom of the foot. It doesn't look too bad but we'll see what happens. I didn't notice it when I looked it over.

It attached to the rock though, so hoping for the best.

20161123_195018_zpsr76vjc5u.jpg20161123_203417_zpshmxtkzyp.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Csalt changed the title to CSalt's 20" Cube MH life