Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Astinus' Build *A work in Progress*

Astinus

Very nice! Your green algae problem will subside in due time. Your tank just needs to mature.

Otherwise looking good; let it grow in and keep it healthy! You will be sure to enjoy the coralline growth as well as all the other cool stuff that will grow/happen in there!

btw; maybe move the thermometer so its out of sight? It will give a more natural look to the tank. The digital ones are pretty cheap and I've been running them for years with no problems. About $10 bucks, you can put the probe in the back chambers and mount the display on the side of the tank out of sight. Plus, I always use to worry about the glass ones breaking in the tank.

• Like 1

Very nice! Your green algae problem will subside in due time. Your tank just needs to mature.

Otherwise looking good; let it grow in and keep it healthy! You will be sure to enjoy the coralline growth as well as all the other cool stuff that will grow/happen in there!

btw; maybe move the thermometer so its out of sight? It will give a more natural look to the tank. The digital ones are pretty cheap and I've been running them for years with no problems. About $10 bucks, you can put the probe in the back chambers and mount the display on the side of the tank out of sight. Plus, I always use to worry about the glass ones breaking in the tank.

TY for the advice! TBH, I hadn't even thought of the glass breaking! Talk about :blink::wacko:

I will take care of that tomorrow!

And, yes, the tank certainly needs to "Grow up" lol! It is still in it's infancy! *Sigh* Patience young Padawan. :wub::PB)

• Like 2

I love the blenny, its so cute. Someday I am going to have a bi-color or tailspot. They have such great personalities!

Yes glass heaters break on occasion but its their propensity for malfunctioning that is even more dangerous. They can get stuck on and cook the tank!

• Like 2

TY LongDoggy for the link :) I will see if I can find 1 locally :)

I think your local PETCO/Petsmart had them. They are pretty standard; you'll probably pay about ten bucks in the store. I used double sided sticky tape and put it on the plastic part of the tank on the side so you really don't see any suction cup on the glass.

• Like 1

That is so cool that the blenny hangs out in the GSP!!!!! Your tank looks great....very nice coral selections :).

TYVM Gena :)

I'd still like to get some more Corals! Who Doesn't? lol. But, we are pretty pleased with the progress so far.

Being a beginner in the Hobby, I am sticking with the easy stuff. I really don't think I would want any SPS Corals. Just have stock lighting with this Tank. (CFLs and Blue LEDs) But, yeah, I am actually rather proud of it so far :)

Just don't want to have a "Crash", I wouldn't quite know how to deal with that yet.

• Like 1

I Don't have a Heater, It is a Thermometer that is the concern.

Oops, I should pay closer attention when I am reading, sorry about that. Sometimes the brain goes on auto-pilot and its not a good thing, ha ha!

• Like 1

Oops, I should pay closer attention when I am reading, sorry about that. Sometimes the brain goes on auto-pilot and its not a good thing, ha ha!

lol! All good VLangel! I do that too sometimes.

BUT! I did find ur reply helpful. I Know I won't need a heater for the Tank. Our house temp is usually around 78 and that is with an AC.

The Tank is running around 82, I know that might be warm, but, Chiller is pricey and at this time, I wouldn't know how to "Plumb" it.

So far things are looking good even with a warm tank.

lol! All good VLangel! I do that too sometimes.

BUT! I did find ur reply helpful. I Know I won't need a heater for the Tank. Our house temp is usually around 78 and that is with an AC.

The Tank is running around 82, I know that might be warm, but, Chiller is pricey and at this time, I wouldn't know how to "Plumb" it.

So far things are looking good even with a warm tank.

Even with my LED setup, my biocube will hit 80 if my house is 74. I don't know how much higher it will go as I have central air and the house is usually 69-71 in the summer and 71-74 in the winter.

Before LED setup with these house temps my tank was 80-86.

Even with my LED setup, my biocube will hit 80 if my house is 74. I don't know how much higher it will go as I have central air and the house is usually 69-71 in the summer and 71-74 in the winter.

Before LED setup with these house temps my tank was 80-86.

Our Bio Cube AIO has the CFLs. Stock, what ever JBJ uses. Temp is fairly stable. I Haven't seen it go over 84. Yeah, I see the LED Retrofit(s), for now, due to Available money, it just isn't within our price range :unsure:

I Do have a fan blowing at the tank and the "Feeding" Lid is open. That has been helpful.

• Like 1

Our Bio Cube AIO has the CFLs. Stock, what ever JBJ uses. Temp is fairly stable. I Haven't seen it go over 84. Yeah, I see the LED Retrofit(s), for now, due to Available money, it just isn't within our price range :unsure:

I Do have a fan blowing at the tank and the "Feeding" Lid is open. That has been helpful.

You do what you can, I understand. This hobby ain't cheap.

84 does seem a little high to me, I think your pets will survive, but your close to the temp where you may bleach corals and your probably shortening the life of your fish.

The LEDs are not that costly for the biocube. I did the best kit available from RapidLED and it was about 250 with the controller. Now I don't need to buy new PC bulbs each six months at $25 a pop.

I was very pleased with the result and support. If you can save up for the LED setup, I'm sure you will be pleased.

• Like 1

Thank You LongDoggy. I will budget in for a kit.

This Link brings me to 2 options. Dimmable and Non-Dimmable. Each link gives me other options. I Need advice as to what I Need.

http://www.rapidled.com/nanocube-28/

Can u help me decide? I am somewhat confused by the options. I almost wonder if I could just find a replacement hood with the LEDS

already in.

So, I just did an 8 Gallon or so water change. I tried my best not to stir up too much crap.

Alas, Tank is kinda cloudy. *Sigh*

Also, Plssed :angry: off some of the Corals. definitely going to keep an extra eye on things.

On a Positive note. It had to be done. Siphoned off a bit of surface Diatoms and I also have some Cyano on the sand bed that got sucked up s well.

fingerscrossed That the Corals don't stay too grumpy for long.

• Like 1

So, I just did an 8 Gallon or so water change. I tried my best not to stir up too much crap.

Also, Plssed :angry: off some of the Corals. definitely going to keep an extra eye on things.

On a Positive note. It had to be done. Siphoned off a bit of surface Diatoms and I also have some Cyano on the sand bed that got sucked up s well.

The coral wont be grumpy long and may actually enjoy filtering some of the stirred up debris. I intentionally stir up my sand bed regularly to keep detritus from building up in it, to keep it aerated for beneficial bacteria to colonize and to feed the coral the stuff that floating around.
  • Like 1

The coral wont be grumpy long and may actually enjoy filtering some of the stirred up debris. I intentionally stir up my sand bed regularly to keep detritus from building up in it, to keep it aerated for beneficial bacteria to colonize and to feed the coral the stuff that floating around.

Don't disturb the Sandbed too much though. You can damage the balance of your nitrification establishment and it's possible to inadvertently invoke another cycle.

Thank You LongDoggy. I will budget in for a kit.

This Link brings me to 2 options. Dimmable and Non-Dimmable. Each link gives me other options. I Need advice as to what I Need.

http://www.rapidled.com/nanocube-28/

Can u help me decide? I am somewhat confused by the options. I almost wonder if I could just find a replacement hood with the LEDS

already in.

Yea your in the wrong place. You don't have a nanocube right?

You need to find your exact model. You have the Coralife Biocibe 14?

If so, get this: http://www.rapidled.com/solderless-coralife-biocube-14-retrofit-kit-with-two-dimmable-drivers/

You will also need the controller, just get the basic storm controller with a case.

This was a fun afternoon project for me. No soldering necessary and you can pick out what color LEDs you want.

I did six royal blue, two UV and four white (don't remember if I did cool white or neutral white).

Also, contact rapidLED support. They are very helpful and knowledgeable. I had a great experience.

I had a broken fan and the wrong LDD drivers in my initial delivery and they replace all quickly and free of charge.

Tomorrow they'll look better than ever. They love a water change but don't show it right away :).
  • Like 1

Don't disturb the Sandbed too much though. You can damage the balance of your nitrification establishment and it's possible to inadvertently invoke another cycle.

Yea your in the wrong place. You don't have a nanocube right?

You need to find your exact model. You have the Coralife Biocibe 14?

If so, get this: http://www.rapidled.com/solderless-coralife-biocube-14-retrofit-kit-with-two-dimmable-drivers/

You will also need the controller, just get the basic storm controller with a case.

This was a fun afternoon project for me. No soldering necessary and you can pick out what color LEDs you want.

I did six royal blue, two UV and four white (don't remember if I did cool white or neutral white).

Also, contact rapidLED support. They are very helpful and knowledgeable. I had a great experience.

I had a broken fan and the wrong LDD drivers in my initial delivery and they replace all quickly and free of charge.

I Have a JBJ Bio Cube 28 gallon. Here is a Link. I Don't have the LEDS and I did not pay that price.

http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_28_Gallon_Nano_Cube_LED_Aquarium_89_Watt_Advanced_Nano_Tank_with_Lighting_20_29_Gallons-JBJ_Lighting-JB7137-FIAQNCCKTLTT-JB7145-vi.html

Looking good! And for the thermometer I just use one of those 3 dollar floating ones from Petco in the back chamber of my AIO Now onto the lights......if you are looking for simple I think this one works http://www.rapidled.com/solderless-jbj-nanocube-28-cf-quad-retrofit-kit-non-dimmable/ buy it and just install. I like the dimmable option but that one needs a controller from what I read. the one linked looks like a plug and play system ready to go. Good luck on the decision.