inTank Media Baskets

Astinus' Build *A work in Progress*

Astinus

Hey folks, TY for following along.  Sorry that I haven't updated my thread with Pics in awhile.

Tank looked and still looks sorry.  Had a nasty GHA issue.  Getting it under control.  I have achieved Nitrate control!

Finally under 10!  So, a combination of that and some manually pulling out, also have a Lawnmower Blenny that is

also doing what it can. Tank looks a lot better!

I added, 2 or 3 weeks ago, 3 Emerald Crabs, 6 Peppermint Shrimp (Have a bad case of Aptasia) :( and a Cleaner Shrimp.

So, for tha Aptasia, I am using the Shrimp, I was using Aptasia-X  for awhile, but now, with the Shrimp, I am using the Aptasia-X very sparingly.

Certainly don't want to kill the Shrimps.

And now with all that said....Some pics for you :)

Elegance Coral....Not looking like it should <_<:(

xGwtKa.jpg

Brain, Elegance (Not touching each-other, just looks like it) Some Zoas.

abkSDG.jpg

Zoas and some of the Aptasia :(

swnpQy.jpg

A once upon a time Nice Zoa Colony, now mostly Aptasia Bastards.

3mTrRu.jpg

Zoanthid Colony with 1 maybe 2 Aptasia.

8D8Ywu.jpg

FTS...

Yby5aO.jpg

npn1PP.jpg

Right Side, Top Down.

51YHHI.jpg

And lastly, the Brain.

91fMCn.jpg

TY all so much for stopping in :)B)

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, vlangel said:

You are too hard on yourself.  Its not that bad.  You can use boiling hot water and squirt it down the aiptasia's throat and that might kill some.

Aye...TY for reminding me of this option...I totally forgot about this.

Shar and I are reluctant to add some replacement coral at the moment.

We were at the Reef Store yesterday and did see and agree on a nice Zoa colony.

Will have to wait for the 1st or 3rd to come.

DOH!  Forgot to add that at some point we we love try and replace the Bubble Coral that we lost.

Not yet though.

• Like 2

TY Teeny and Dawn.

I am not sure, Teeny.  They seem to be nocturnal and they are hiding in caves

in the rocks and also hiding in the back of the rocks as well.

The Reef store re-assured us that it could take some time before we notice a difference.

I am trying to feed flake for the 4 banded Damsels (2) and the 1 Blenny.

I am curious and worried about the Elegance Coral.  I recently got Omega One Marine Flakes with Garlic.

Started using this about 3 or 4 weeks ago.  Could this possibly be the cause of the Elegance

"Shrinking"?  I will look back in this thread and link to pages showing the Elegance in good health.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 3/30/2017 at 9:16 PM, pappadumplingz said:

Damn that trachy is insane! I wanna start a garden of em, but good ones are hard to find here

Damn Papa. I read ur post the same day u posted.  That same day, That Brain started looking odd.

Well,  it's been a week now and It is now 95% Skeleton :tears:

Started losing the Elegance a couple months ago and brought it back to LFS in hopes that It might survive.

So, now, our So called Reef is nothing.  Some Zoas, 2 Duncans (With some growth), GSP that is now starting to "Spread"

Also have a Torch and a Goni, at least I think it's a goni, that is still hanging in there.

OH!  And! Now I noticed some Red Slime...Just treated the tank for that :(

I am seriously thinking of doing a heavy duty tank "reset"?  

Remove the LR and manually kill each and every Aiptasia, 1 at a time.  

Remove as much algae (from the rock ) as I can by hand and Tooth brush.

Place said rock in a 5 gal bucket with Tank water, to keep it wet.

I want to pull the corals that I do have remaining in a separate bucket with Tank water, for obvious reasons.

Then to catch and put the Livestock (Fish, shrimps, Crabs and snails) in a Bucket.

Then! Remove the Sand bed!

When I set the tank up, I now realize I may have used to much sand. (40 LBS for a 28 gal DT) Roughly 2-2.5 inches of sand bed.

I am not sure How I can "Clean" that sand, and I am not to sure if I chose the right sand to start with.  To Fine?

I am seeing other tanks here on NR that have some nice Substrate that is courser.

Damn, I just realized I only have 4 5 gal Buckets (Food Grade).  I am going to need maybe 2 more. :rant:<_<

This update Sucks! :(

I would post some pics, but I do not have a Camera at this time.  Maybe Late Friday or Saturday.

• Like 1

A lot of aquaria is learning through experience.  I know you feel like you are not experiencing very much of the positives that is suppose to come with keeping a tank but you are gaining knowledge.  

My advise to you would be concentrate on easier coral to keep.  Some of those can be gourgeous and amazing in their own right.  Do not discount duncans, zoas and gps.  Maybe add some pretty mushrooms, some blue clove polyps or other types of clove polyps.  There are very pretty palys.

When I began keeping a reef I did not know forums existed so I was never tempted to compare my tank with others and I kept only easy coral, (actually my tank still has only easy coral, ha ha!).  Any coral that becomes a sizable colony is attractive and impressive.  When the rock gets covered by coral, then algae is less likely to take hold and the tank will be easier to maintain.

• Like 4

TY Dawn.  Yeah, I am thinking softies.

I really like Zoas and the Euphylias.  Part of my "Learning Curve" is trying to find 

what Corals will not "Fight" with a neighbor.  Also, Placement.

I would like to maybe find some 

7 minutes ago, vlangel said:

pretty mushrooms

I am kind of hesitant to add the Clove Polyps, due to their "Invasive"Nature ;)  When I was 1st looking at coral, I noticed them right away.

I really liked the "Pulsing" and the movement.  Then I read some threads here about how they can take over the tank.

On some of the more "Common" corals, I can find that info on Liveaquaria.

I am  also thinking that I want to re-scape the tank.  Hence my "Rant"?

So, what Corals do u have Dawn?  

Penny (Pjanssen) has some Hammers she may Frag for me.  It is just a matter of connecting and being sure my tank's quality is good :) 

On a positive note, The fish, 2 Damsels and the Lawnmower Blenny are doing good.

Cleaner Shrimp and Peppermint Shrimp are doing good as well.

• Like 2

Dont get down Astinus! 

Think of it as a learning experience.

We all go through ups and downs in this hobby. Ya just gotta keep your head up, Fix what didn't work, and remember the parts you enjoy.

• Like 2

TY Sharbuckle! I hear ya.  Ideally, I think "IF" I do re-scape, I might remove 1 or 2 rocks.

I will return it or them to LFS for credit and use that for Coral ;)

Several months ago, Shar expressed interest in Land Hermit Crabs. (LHCs)

So, We got a 20 Gal Long Tank and 4 Hermits.  I am tinkering with the idea of converting 

this to either a FOWLR for her, OR, A Shallow reef Tank with 1 or 2 fish.

Positive side is, I have a Spare light I can use for the 20, if I go with FOWLR.

Or, I can use the Light I have on the reef tank. (AI Prime)  I know that I won't get the Spread

(Light coverage) of Just that 1, but, some Corals "Prefer" less light?

IDK, to many ideas running in my head.

I have mushrooms, palys, zoas, blue clove polyps, xenia, pagota cup, blastos, gsp, and gorgs.  Everything is easy except some of the gorgs.  I use my red macros for a punch of color.

• Like 1

Hey man, if there's one thing I know from this hobby is that it's always something, up or down, like the past week straight none of my corals seemed happy. A small WC and light dosing now everything's happier again! Unrelated to your situation I think, but persistence is key! 

You have some really nice looking corals!!! Keep at it!! 

• Like 2

@Kijho TY :)  But sadly I lost 3 of the "Prettier" Corals.  The Open Brain, Bubble and the Elegance :(

On the upside, It gives me time to "Re-think" the "Reef"?  

I now have dome open room on the Sand bed.  And some room on the rocks.

I was just now looking at the Rocks and I am really thinking of removing 1.

By doings, it will give me more Mid Tank "Shelf" space.

But that can wait for now.

• Like 2

I know that teenyreef went through a lot on his IM10 to reclaim the tank from some issues, just like you are considering doing. 

It was about as much work as what you listed above, but it made a noticeable difference in his tank, and from the results, I'd say well worth it. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks, Weetie! It's getting there :)

I actually read through that whole fiasco on your tank thread a couple of days ago and found it very encouraging. 

Thx for being willing to share it. :flower:

• Like 3

I have been dealing with some High Nitrate levels recently.  Did a 10g WC t'day.  So, I am thinking of adding some Macro Algae.

I Like The Maiden's Hair Plant, the Shaving Brush or a Red Macro...can be found in this Link.

http://live-plants.com/redbush.htm

I am also Looking at this Site for the Maiden's Hair and or the Shaving Brush.

http://www.aquariumcreationsonline.net/vip.html

I'd like to hear thoughts and opinions please.