inTank Media Baskets

Frogfish's 32 Gallon Reef - Back to looking... okay-ish

YaBoyLaj

On 3/29/2017 at 9:16 AM, Weetabix7 said:

What is the Anemone Shrimp doing to irritate the RBTA?

Not just the rose bubble, but also 2 rainbow maxi minis, he steals their food and VERY aggressively "grooms" them

7 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Hmmm. 

I've been wanting to get Anemone Shrimp, but now I'm not sure....

Mine is a white spot, I've heard of similar behavior from the Caribbean species as well. I've always wanted the Venus or graceful anemone shrimps as they seem to care more about shaking their butts instead of hurting the anemones. I actually came home tonight and found my white spot using his pincers on the RBTA and I lost it, so I modified an isolation box, gave it more flow and added some shrooms and that's where he resides now. And to my astonishment, as I was trying to catch him, he kept swimming to where the maxi's had moved and since they've had time to heal, are back to becoming rainbows, I guess they are bullet proof, huh

• 5 months later...

Ok, its been a hot minute since I updated this tank thread, the 30 has changed quite a bit, it's not pretty, but here she is!

I need to start using my nikon more... these pics suck lmao

That breeder box is for culturing xenia and has about 6 really healthy and happy stalks with probably around 15-20 heads per stalk

• 3 months later...

Ok so this tank is a legitimate wasteland, the only good thing to report is the fish are plump and the xenia is happy, that's it, I managed to lose my lawnmower, rusty goby and zanzibar shrimp, no trace of any corpse. the algae is indescribable the hair algae is back in full force and the filament algae on the glass is back after maybe 2 or less days after scraping it off. And to top it all off the aptasia are massive and spreading at a rate where I cant keep up. I've come to a few options and are as follows...

1. Empty the tank, remove the filtration, vinegar bomb the tank, restart the whole damn system'

2. Sell the xenia colonies, find new homes for the fish and again, completely reset the tank and do a species specific tank.

3. sell the whole system because it's driving me nuts 

now here's the problem, not only do I know very few people that have reef/salt tanks in my area but I've legitimately become attached to these fish, every one that has lived this long has been with me for a year plus. I honestly don't know what to do with this set up. Not only this one but my 12 AND 10 have also experienced their own disappearances. In the 12, both the tangaroan goby and elongated dottyback have dissapeared, i peeled the black cover from the back of the tank to give myself a better viewpoint and see if they were tootin around in the back like they have before but to no avail... and to add to that mess, the duncans caught brown jelly, a flatworm outbreak has broken out and aptasia is popping up in that system too and finally, the 10, a tank I set up to be a species specific anemone shrimp tank, and I lost the fricken shrimp, I did a big water change and did a re-scape to change things up but to also look for the body, but nothing, I swear man, this hobby seems like it wants me to gtfo but I'm not giving up on it, if anything Ill break all of the 3 down and start a single 10 or less and devote all my time to that thing, I will admit, I made a mistake setting up 3 systems, I have 7-8 months before I'm off to college... and they dont allow anything larger than a 10....:unsure:

• Like 1

I know that I could never really concentrate on more than 1 tank at a time, (although right now I have the reef jar).  Maybe consolidating into the 10 might just be the answer.  With the livestock from 3 tanks you will feel like its instantly filled up without spending money, and you can concentrate on just maintaining it.

• Like 1

I really have considered breaking the 30 down all together and I'm almost 100% certain that's what I'm gonna be doing in the coming weeks. It should definitely relieve a lot of stress :P

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so last night I spent about an hour straight peeling, and i mean PEELING algae off the back, front, sides and rocks. The cheap chinese parts gave up last night as the grate that allows water to flow from the actual tank to the back of the system snapped like a damn potato chip. Not a hard fix tho. I did notice that the back of the tank is clear with no black film which gave me the idea of making a small chaeto refugium in the first compartment using the old sea star light that was meant for my 10, if needed, i can throw in a powerhead for more flow, but for now, I'll just use the light :P

• Like 1

Definitely agree with that! The xenia was pissed for a day (I did a massive water change) but are back to looking 100%. I'll be adding some new rock and doing a re scape tomorrow, just to give the tank some life again. I added some chaeto in the tank to help with the access nitrates but it's too early to tell if it's growing or not. I plan on adding a new fish we've had at work for nearly a month now, if it happens, it'll definitely be exciting!

• Like 1