SaltCritters.com

IM Nuvo Lagoon 25 Owners Thread

jjwukasch

13 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I think about that sometimes...then I see more pretties and there goes my tank budget! :rolleyes::lol:

:lol: that’s how I am. Although I just remembered I’m getting a free (used) MP10 and RKL at the end of the month. So I guess I can wait on the RFGs. There are still other things I need to buy though. 

• Like 1

@schgr.cube Yeah - I ordered them the same day last week lol. I think it arrives today or tomorrow. I'll report back and let ya'll know if it's an upgrade for our tanks or not. I also ordered one for the IM10 as well.

So the RFGs with the drop adaptors arrived yesterday evening. I had a chance to install them, but haven't had a lot of time to tinker with it and closely inspect it.

IMG_8531.thumb.jpg.7b1335207ec5caff19a80ef84a1e8bcf.jpg

But, my initial impressions of it... it does indeed generate a random flow. Not as dramatic as what is shown in the videos, because we're not using the optimal gph as recommended, but we do meet the minimum gph recommended. I was able to use my RBTA's tentacle as a gauge in the random flow and it was about every 3 seconds, the random flow would stream towards my RBTA's tentacle again.

With the factory flared nozzles, the water stream was a bit powerful for my tank as I mainly keep LPS and softies, with some easy SPS. With the RFG nozzles it seemed to disperse the water flow a lot more, which is good for the euphyilias and acans I have towards the front of the glass.

I will have more time to mess with it more when I get home today... so I can give ya'll a better update then.

• Like 3

So here are the pictures of it installed with the drop adapters.

IMG_8534.thumb.JPG.503e42da36f43d4dbf410e2b67eadc2d.JPG

IMG_8535.thumb.JPG.a55bdd3f1303f459be4d1a31cfc83e86.JPG

The drop adapters are nice because you can aim the nozzle upward, towards the surface to get some waves up top.

I tried to install the RFG nozzle to the factory adapter and it works fine, but if you try to point it to the water surface, you get splashing and some bubbles.

The RFG does create a random flow, but it's more like a circular flow just to be clear, sort of like a spinstream but without the drastic loss in flow.

The return pump I use is a MJ1200 with the Y splitter and there's good flow to it. I also installed the RFG with drop adapters to my IM10 and that one has a stronger random flow because of the smaller adapter size and higher GPH pump per nozzle. On the IM10 I use the Sicce 1.5 pump which has 190gph, whereas the MJ1200 has 295gph and then half the gph to each nozzle.

Either way I like it better than the factory flared nozzle. With the flared nozzle the water stream is too concentrated. So anything you have on the bottom, towards the bottom of the glass gets pelted with a high flow. My euphylias were always pretty annoyed and my RFA's always moved away from the front and settles towards the back of the tank. With the RFG nozzles the stream is way more dispersed with a moderate flow to a larger area.

Hope this helps to anyone looking to get this. Also, I had issues with fitment but the team at Vivid Creative Aquatics are very responsive and helpful.

• Like 2

Hi Reefers...
I've been in the hobby for 11 years, starting with a 29g Biocube and then upgrading to a 57g Illuminata Rimless w/ (2) AI Hydra 26. I've decide to break down my 57g and go back to a smaller tank with just a pair of clowns and a few corals. I'm really liking the FUSION 25 Lagoon. Any tips, tricks or advice before getting into one. Thanks. Adam

Question regarding the 5 back chambers and equipment placement. 

Have the intank media baskets in the outer chambers. My media reactor and skimmer are in each of the inner tanks, and the pump and ATO in the middle chamber.

Realized I forgot the heater. I am assuming most people put that in the middle chamber as well. It's a tight fit with the ATO in there with the plastic Y piece for the pump. 

16 minutes ago, colinlevy said:

Question regarding the 5 back chambers and equipment placement. 

Have the intank media baskets in the outer chambers. My media reactor and skimmer are in each of the inner tanks, and the pump and ATO in the middle chamber.

Realized I forgot the heater. I am assuming most people put that in the middle chamber as well. It's a tight fit with the ATO in there with the plastic Y piece for the pump. 

I opted for intank filter floss holders instead of the intank baskets (although I supposed you could do one of each). I was able to route my heater under the holder to free up chambers otherwise. I have the cobalt neotherm heaters. 

1 minute ago, schgr.cube said:

I opted for intank filter floss holders instead of the intank baskets (although I supposed you could do one of each). I was able to route my heater under the holder to free up chambers otherwise. I have the cobalt neotherm heaters. 

That's not a bad idea. I suppose now that I think about it, I don't even know what media u could use to fill up both baskets. 

I have the Neotherm as well. I may have to look into that and give it a try 

5 minutes ago, colinlevy said:

That's not a bad idea. I suppose now that I think about it, I don't even know what media u could use to fill up both baskets. 

I have the Neotherm as well. I may have to look into that and give it a try 

Yeah I thought about getting one media basket and one floss holder, but I opted for the two floss holders and a fuge basket instead. 

I don’t really use chemical media anymore, and I buy carbon in sheets which fits with the floss in the holders. 

26 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

Yeah I thought about getting one media basket and one floss holder, but I opted for the two floss holders and a fuge basket instead. 

I don’t really use chemical media anymore, and I buy carbon in sheets which fits with the floss in the holders. 

I will give it a try. I am having the worst problem getting either of my media baskets to fit in the left chambers anyways. Even after shaving off some of the tanks channel inlet piece (as recommended to get it to fit), it still feels like I have to jam it in. It is not touching the plastic inlet let, so not sure what's wrong. I will just throw a floss holder on that side

4 minutes ago, colinlevy said:

I will give it a try. I am having the worst problem getting either of my media baskets to fit in the left chambers anyways. Even after shaving off some of the tanks channel inlet piece (as recommended to get it to fit), it still feels like I have to jam it in. It is not touching the plastic inlet let, so not sure what's wrong. I will just throw a floss holder on that side

Well my buddy from Puerto Rico is moving up here this month, and he owns a laser cutting shop down there. If he can somehow bring his machine up, we will be able to make whatever. I’m going to tinker around with some custom stuff for the 25, first thing being a filter holder with a slot for the cobalt heater.  

Yeah let me know if that works out @schgr.cube

Just got in the rock and finishing up the water.

Where is a good water line in the Lagoon? I know the manual says 1 inch below the middle chamber walls. Is that accurate? I think I may have overfilled it. Don't even see those walls anymore. 

On 10/14/2017 at 7:10 PM, schgr.cube said:

Carbon on sheets? Can you post a link for these....I can’t say I’ve ever seen this before then again Ive never really looked for it....and you said you don’t use chemical media, so I take it you have a fuge what light are you using for back there? 

@colinlevy a good water line is being able to see water drop into your overflow chamber.

If you see the water level in your display matches to your overflow chamber, that means you aren't really getting a lot of the surface skimming action. When my DT's water level matches my overflow chamber water level, I'll usually see a dirty/oily water surface.

15 hours ago, colinlevy said:

Yeah let me know if that works out @schgr.cube

Just got in the rock and finishing up the water.

Where is a good water line in the Lagoon? I know the manual says 1 inch below the middle chamber walls. Is that accurate? I think I may have overfilled it. Don't even see those walls anymore. 

I have mine 1" below the middle walls, and I feel like it is fine! You may have overfilled it if you can't see those baffles lol.

Just now, coreyisag said:

Carbon on sheets? Can you post a link for these....I can’t say I’ve ever seen this before then again Ive never really looked for it....and you said you don’t use chemical media, so I take it you have a fuge what light are you using for back there? 

Yeah I should say I don't run anything besides filter floss, and carbon filter pads. I used to run chemipure and purigen but i gave up on those. I bought this light for my fuge, but have yet to set it up:

https://www.amazon.com/ACKE-Spectrum-Seedlings-Hydroponics-Lights/dp/B01LX1EO3W/ref=sr_1_60?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1508162258&sr=1-60&keywords=led+grow+light

Also, here are the carbon pads from Petco. I don't always run them, but its nice to just cut a piece to fit, rinse, and stick it in.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-carbon-filter-media-10x18

@schgr.cube keep us posted on the light and fuge...a couple people ive seen say that the compartments are to small to grow cheato and its almost pointless to try to run a fuge back there...guess thats why people are running cheato reactors now, they seem to grow cheato a little better on AIO tanks. 

20 minutes ago, coreyisag said:

@schgr.cube keep us posted on the light and fuge...a couple people ive seen say that the compartments are to small to grow cheato and its almost pointless to try to run a fuge back there...guess thats why people are running cheato reactors now, they seem to grow cheato a little better on AIO tanks. 

Yeah I will definitely keep you up to date! I haven't moved forward with it as I may have something else in the pipe that I'm not sure I'm allowed to talk about, but I'll give details as soon as I can.

• Wow 1

Curious on what you guys concluded for the RFG nozzles. Right now I have two spin streams but the flow is cut in half with them on.

Is it worth picking up a pair of the RFGs?

I like the RFGs a lot better than the spin streams and factory flared nozzles.

Here's why:

1) Flow isn't cut down in half.

2) The flow is a lot more even and dispersed than the factory flared nozzle

3) I get a circular random flow with no moving parts to worry about

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Nart said:

I like the RFGs a lot better than the spin streams and factory flared nozzles.

Here's why:

1) Flow isn't cut down in half.

2) The flow is a lot more even and dispersed than the factory flared nozzle

3) I get a circular random flow with no moving parts to worry about

I'm really excited to use these if I ever get this tank transfer going! 

Fishy snowman

Hi all 

I'm in the market for a skimmer for my IM lagoon 25 I see a lot options can someone recommend one that their are happy with ...

thx really appreciate it ........      was thinking about the Eshopps nano just don't want to make a mistake  

pls50 is the best you can get but for some reason cadlights quit making it and good luck finding one on the resale market, ive been looking for awhile and havent seen anything.....with that being said i went with the eshopps nano and i have no complaints...10x better than the ghost from IM

• Like 1
On 10/14/2017 at 10:01 PM, schgr.cube said:

So I just put in the intank filter floss holder but see no way the cobalt neo-therm can put underneath it 

• Like 1