Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

IM Nuvo Lagoon 25 Owners Thread

jjwukasch

tonydahomie
On 5/18/2017 at 2:29 AM, rewsreef said:

Does anyone have issues with the filter socks? I have a Tray, but wanted to stick with at least one sock. I've washed them out every other day the past few days, and they are still overflowing. I put a filter pad behind the sock so even when it overflowed it had to go through the sponge, then it would just raise the water level in the chamber to the same as the rest of the tank. and it really messed up my ATO, which went into that chamber.

I just switched from two socks to two intank baskets and its definitely the way to go imo

• Like 2
Kellie in CA

What is the consensus as to the best pump upgrade for this tank? 

I have an MP-10 for the display, will I still need more flow?  I don't plan on any SPS.

For the return pump? I found the Sicce Micro plus is perfect with an addition of a power-head for LPS corals and below.

I tried the MJ1200 as the return pump and it was just way too much flow for my LPS corals.

Anyone else has any inputs?

2 eheim 600's for the return (they are adjustable)

and, I don't turn my MP 10 up past 3

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:57 PM, tonydahomie said:

I just switched from two socks to two intank baskets and its definitely the way to go imo

yep.. buy the polyfill from wallmart.. (the kind without fire retardant)

I'm thinking about getting a mp10 or a maxspect xf230 gyre for my lagoon just to randomize the flow more. Anyone using either of these in their lagoon?

flatlandreefer
48 minutes ago, CoppyCat said:

I'm thinking about getting a mp10 or a maxspect xf230 gyre for my lagoon just to randomize the flow more. Anyone using either of these in their lagoon?

mp 10 is very common and does a good job, this is what I am running.  I haven't seen many if any running the gyre as it is a lot of flow for this tank.  Dialed back I think it would do well and if I didnt already have an mp10 and backup for it I would be tempted to try the gyre.

1 hour ago, CoppyCat said:

I have an MP10 and run it at a max of 80% for an sps tank.  It does a good job... too good.  I accidentally destroyed an acro when I moved it and forgot to move it back (I was adjusting somethings so I moved it so I wouldbt break it)  Right in the path of the vortech... Lesson learned. (fyi thats nothing wrong with the pump, that was me making a dumb mistake and paying $50 for it)

Kellie in CA
17 hours ago, lkoechle said:

sicce syncra 1.5 fits too.

Thanks so much!  Is there anyone who successfully runs this tank with no powerheads inside? 

I currently have a 15 gallon cube and will be upgrading next month.  I only keep LPS and Euphyllia and they are never happy because they don't like the high flow from my MP10 even on the very lowest settings.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to configure the Lagoon for them. 

KyleAwesome
3 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

Thanks so much!  Is there anyone who successfully runs this tank with no powerheads inside? 

I currently have a 15 gallon cube and will be upgrading next month.  I only keep LPS and Euphyllia and they are never happy because they don't like the high flow from my MP10 even on the very lowest settings.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to configure the Lagoon for them. 

I have zero equipment in the display. I've pulled that Y splitter and am running the stock pump servicing one return and threw in an Aquatop SWP820 (237gph) and a spinstream to service the other. All in all about 450gph going through the rear chambers, it all provides more than enough flow (possibly too much). However if I were to do it again I'd probably keep the single pump and have better dwell time for the filter media. 

Kellie in CA

Thanks so much everyone for the info!  I think I'll upgrade to the Sicce 1.5 and see if that is enough.  If it is, I'll just sell the MP10.  It's too bad, I've only had it running for 4 months!

Many people have far too much flow in their tanks.  If you have ever dived on a reef, there are many tidal pools and protected areas that are not blasted non-stop with maximum flow.  Some folks think fish have to be blown around the tank 24/7.  So ridiculous. l can't imagine needing any more flow than a Sicce 1.5 would provide, especially with small fish and bad swimmers like clowns and gobies.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 1:04 PM, cbandotho said:

Is anyone using a Tunze skimmer and the AI Prime HD with this tank.  I can't figure out how I would get both to fit.

You can use the flexible 12" mounting arm.. you can attach it to pump return part at back of tank, or even side of tank, and just bend the mount around of light is at center of tank.  No need for mount to be dead center of back of tank.

Kellie in CA

Yeah, that what I'm learning.  I bought the MP10 because for years I kept hearing more flow was the answer for everything.  However, my corals really don't seem to like it, and it's a total waste that  spent that much money to run it on the lowest setting.  Oh well, it was fun to play with!  

9 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

I ran it forever with 2 eheim 600's (they are cheap and adjustable).. couldn't turn them up all the way, worked well

had spinstreams on it as well, but they are a pita

Yeah, if you get a return pump in the 350gph range, it's a bit too much flow for your LPS corals and below. I had that issue.

@Kellie in CAwhat you can always do... is run the MP10 towards the back of the tank only after the lights are off. This will help kick up the detritus. At least that's what I do. I have the Jebao SW-2 that I run at the lowest setting during the day and when my lights kick off I will run it at a stronger setting.

I run a cobalt/mj 900 for the return and an Aqamai KPS. I replaced my MP10 with this. I find this combo to give me the most options for flow.

• 3 weeks later...
HelenofTroy

Recommendations on what to use to control temperature? Anyone have a standalone temperature controller? Or just go with a reefkeeper lite? Trying to go with cheapest option to have super stable temperature. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I'm thinking about getting a Tunze 9001 skimmer, which I've heard works well for this tank, but how do you fit it in? Does anyone have this setup who can take pictures and/or explain it to me?

On 6/5/2017 at 5:10 PM, Kellie in CA said:

Yeah, that what I'm learning.  I bought the MP10 because for years I kept hearing more flow was the answer for everything.  However, my corals really don't seem to like it, and it's a total waste that  spent that much money to run it on the lowest setting.  Oh well, it was fun to play with!  

im currently running my tank with just the Sicce 1.5 but i wouldnt advise it. I dont get enough flow throughout the tank. i'm only doing it because my MP10 decides to spin off on the wetside so im probably going to have to buy a new wetside. 

What I would advise is either a.) seel the MP10 and buy a smaller PH, or b.) turn the MP10 down a bit. I (did) run mine about 50-60% and got very good flow.

On 5/21/2017 at 8:57 PM, tonydahomie said:

yeah ive switched to 1 so far. Using floss and Chemipure. Anyone try to do a Fuge back there? 

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:15 PM, rewsreef said:

Using floss and Chemipure. Anyone try to do a Fuge back there? 

Yeah - I am running a chaeto fuge on one side of the overflow and it works really well. Consistent Nitrates of 0.2PPM and Phos of 0.02 PPM, I feed heavily too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 11:00 AM, JLynn said:

Okay, so I'm thinking about getting a Tunze 9001 skimmer, which I've heard works well for this tank, but how do you fit it in? Does anyone have this setup who can take pictures and/or explain it to me?

The magnet side attached to the skimmer should pop off by pinching the little clips. I used that as the external magnet, and superglued the blue magnet on to the side of the skimmer body. It's really easy, and fits nicely in the return chamber.

15012903502421879566712.jpg

• Like 1