Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

IM Nuvo Lagoon 25 Owners Thread

jjwukasch

Hello beautiful Lagoon 25 people. I've been planning a build for a while and I've been dreaming of the lagoon 25. I love the depth, it's a great looking tank in dimensions I'm dying to work with but I have a hiccup. I live in a very small apartment so I don't have alot of real estate to play with this. I legit only have one spot to put a tank and that is on top of an Ikea Kallax 2x4 shelf. However, for anyone who knows those shelves, they are only 15 3/8th inches wide and the lagoon is 20 inches wide. What I would like to get from you people is your thoughts on the structural integrity of putting a counter top on top of the Kallax so there would be 2.5 inches over hang on each side, front to back. Do you think there is a concern for the weight on the 2.5 inches on each side from the tank or will enough of the weigh be supported from the shelf unit under it? So basically the counter top would support the whole depth of the tank the the kallax under would not be. Sorry if that didn't make sense. If you need me to draw a picture or something, let me know.

Thanks for the insight!!

The overflow intank things worked great raised the water level within a half inch of the top looks so much better!

Still having trouble with my tunze nano anyone else got recommendations? Cleaned the pipes, took the magnet and put cardboard between them. When I unplug it and plug it back in it works  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
reefhound

UPDATE.. I've been working on cleaning up the look of the tank.

ordered a kessil A160 and the controller

and an MP10. will order the battery backup soon!

IMG_0479.JPG

• Like 1

Just an update of mine.

1. Moved out all the fish for ICH treatment so tank is fishless.

2. Replaced MP10ES/WP10 combo with 2 Jebao SW-4's in W2 mode @ 100%. So far they work 200% better and much quieter.

3. Replaced Reef Octopus NS80 with SeaHog DC-60 skimmer, it's got DC motor and performing really well. Fit nicely into the second chamber without any mods.

4. Glued some frags onto the rock and most of the frags that still on the sand will going into the frag tank.

2017-05-08-12.19.39-1.jpg

• Like 2

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Lagoon 25. I really wanted the Lagoon 50 but $600 seems to much.

Does anyone have any regrets or wish they went with something like a JBJ 30gal rimless?

1 hour ago, 3s1k said:

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Lagoon 25. I really wanted the Lagoon 50 but $600 seems to much.

Does anyone have any regrets or wish they went with something like a JBJ 30gal rimless?

I mean look, I always want a bigger tank - it means I have more room for more fish and corals, and I want ALL the fish and corals. The Lagoon 25 is just the biggest I can get away with while in college; when I graduate I intend to upgrade to something around 200g. In this size range, I'm very pleased with the Lagoon 25; it has fantastic dimensions for aquascaping, and it's large footprint means that your fish get more room to swing around that they would in most other tanks that size. That being said, if a Lagoon 50 is what you really, really want... I don't think you'll ever really be happy with the 25. You'll always wish you had that extra space and volume to play with; you'll regret not being able to get that particular fish that just won't fit in the 25. $600 is a lot, yeah - definitely sticker shock material. But I think you'll be happiest if you save up a little longer to be able to get the tank you have your heart set on.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, 3s1k said:

not at all.. I wanted a lagoon type when the jbj frag tank came out.. I was actually looking for it when I ran across the IM Lagoon. I love the tank. built a law stand so i'm eye level with it when my ass on the couch. just recently bought a kessil so I could look down in it and see everything. I love the look of "depth" it gives you. and yes, if I wanted a bigger tank I would definitely go with the 50. as it is, the 25 really is a great size to maintain, and get your hands in without taking a bath.

recently added an mp10.. I had a jebao wp-4 or whatever the hell it is.. but it was way too powerful.

my equipment list:

kessil A160 w controller.. not really an upgrade, just more compact than my led build was. awesome look though

MP10

intank media baskets running floss

Tunze 9001 skimmer

IM reactor (run carbon)

smart ATO

return pumps eheim 600 x2.. overkill, but easier with the skimmer

14 hours ago, 3s1k said:

I really like mine. I actually downgraded from the IM 40 to the IM25 because the 40 was too deep for my arms. 

Like above, I'd like to have a bigger tank, but this is what fits in my house right now. Bigger tank = bigger equipment = bigger fish = bigger budget. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, 3s1k said:

There are some things I wish was different like a sump.  I really really prefer sumps but this is what fits me. and so far, space hasnt been issue.  I love the dimensions and I agree with the above about swimming room.  

In the back I have two media baskets, a skimmer, heater, 4 probes and probe rack for the Apex and two water sensors for the ato.  

Its a great tank for its size and price.  

• Like 2

I love my IM25.

My only complaint initially was that it only held 19 gallons of water when it was empty and nearly brimming it to the top.

I re-filled the tank 3 times during a leak test when it arrived and I was only able to put 19 gallons of water in it.

Then I thought... shoot, once I add rock, sand, equipment... I'm at like around 15-17 gallons of working water??

But in the end it wasn't too big of a deal.

I really like the foot-print, AIO system, and the craftsmanship of the tank.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, I'm not sure its downgrading but I would be moving over from a standard 29g. I don't like the height of the 29g and the water comes up to my bicep when I'm working with corals in the sandbed. I really love the look of the shallow tanks which led me to the IM lagoon. I was looking at the JBJ 45g but it's just as tall as the 29g as it's a true cube in dimensions.

Many moons ago I had a 120g reef tank and I could keep pretty much any fish I wanted. The maintenance and budget don't fit into my current lifestyle which is why I prefer the smaller tanks these days.

I really like the IM tanks, I have a 10g Nuvo Fusion in my office at work and I love it. The glass is so clear compared to standard fish tank from a big box petstore.

20170425_142916.jpg

• Like 3
HelenofTroy

Do y'all let algae grow in the back chambers? Any downsides from doing so? 

I got a healthy amount growing back there and am wondering if I should cover up the back to block the light from entering. 

I had a hob fuge for a long time... PITA in my opinion. I had it to keep copepod population up, but otherwise, no way I would deal with macro in a tank again.

twice I wound up with it going rampant in the DT,, had to tear some rock work out. never again for me

The new skimmer is such a gem. This is how much it pulled since water change on last Saturday. My tank reads 0.5ppm NO3 without detectable PO4. I have to add KNO3 to boost nitrate.

IMG_0129.JPG

KyleAwesome
5 hours ago, ug.mac said:

It's SeaHog DC60

ug.mac is that a whitebox/offboard I cant seem to find anything about them? I'm also looking to replace my NS80

Thanks!

5 hours ago, KyleAwesome said:

ug.mac is that a whitebox/offboard I cant seem to find anything about them? I'm also looking to replace my NS80

Thanks!

I googled it and it seems to be some kind of Asian - Japanese, probably, but my skills at distinguishing Asian alphabets are next-to-non-existent, so... 

I'd be curious to know if you can find it anywhere else.

I got mine from a friend in China. I also found it on eBay when I was Googling for someone else though. Keywords #SEA #DC #Skimmer

got some new Dendro this weekend :) 

opened and eating like the little pigs they are!

the wouldn't open at the lfs.. so I stole them for 60

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0514.JPG

• Like 1

Does anyone have issues with the filter socks? I have a Tray, but wanted to stick with at least one sock. I've washed them out every other day the past few days, and they are still overflowing. I put a filter pad behind the sock so even when it overflowed it had to go through the sponge, then it would just raise the water level in the chamber to the same as the rest of the tank. and it really messed up my ATO, which went into that chamber.

6 hours ago, rewsreef said:

Does anyone have issues with the filter socks?

Sorry, I don't use the filter socks. I use a media basket with polyfil/filter floss in the top and change out weekly. Sounds like your socks are holding onto a lot even after you clean them out. might need to replace them completely more often...? 

I also don't use the filter socks for that reason. I use the Intank Media basket on one side and the Intank gloss holder on the other. By day 5 I'll usually notice the flow slowing down and toss it out.