ReefCleaners.org

Too Much Live Rock?

reefWheelie

reefWheelie

I just started a Biocube 14 and it feels like the liverock takes up all the space. Do I have too much?

This is my first tank and my first time on a forum. Any helpful hints will be much appreciated.

CronicReefer

:welcome:

Generally 1lb per gallon is a good rule but you can always do more or less depending on what look you want. Sand has a much larger surface area for bacteria to grow than your live rock does anyway. Tank of the Month threads always offer great inspiration and insight.

reefWheelie

Thanks! I have 15 lbs. I'm trying to upload a photo but having difficulty from my phone. Anyway, the issue I am having is I feel I get a ton of algae growth or brown stuff on the sand. Not sure if there is too much rock restricting flow.

post-90814-0-20496800-1457120547_thumb.png

:welcome:

Hey there! I too am new to the game, but when I started my Bio Cube 29 AIO...I went with near 30 LBs LR and 40 LBs of LS.

But as the previous poster said, or what I got from it was, go with what appeals to you.

BTW, I really like ur Rock..looks very nice.. just my .02c ;)

burtbollinger

I don't think I like it...the rock on the left looks too big...I guess it depends what kind of coral you're doing. its a lot of wasted surface area, I think...as I'm not sure what's all going to co-exist on that one flat, slanted surface.

I'd consider breaking that rock in two and re-arraning...but you might decide otherwise.

Also, I'm really hoping you don't have 2 maroon clowns in a 14. You bought the wrong kind. Certainly, you cannt add anything else. Frankly, I'd strongly advise you to return them for perculas.

as far as helpful hints....here's wildly random tidbits I wish people would have taught me:

- learn about the importance of alkalinity and calcium...especially alkalinity. visit bulkreefsupply and look into their two-part starter kit.
- buy a good salt mix and an ro/di unit, and begin making your own water
- go slow, and keep your hands out the the tank if possible
- avoid non-photosynthetic corals IMO
- avoid clams unless you have proper lighting, and an established tank.
- avoid gorgs, sea fans...and mandarins...
- even at 5-6 months, your tank is in its infancy...treat it carefully and be prepared for ugly algae blooms
- consider running a media reactor with carbon and GFO
- if you dont test it, do not dose it...iodine, strontium....all that crap is a waste.
- ignore Ph....focus only on keeping a stable alk. Ph will take care of itself...
- dont buy things to make wife/kids happy....youre the expert, not them.
- magnesium helps keep alk. stable.
- Aim for a salinity @ 1.025
- damsels are mean....6-line wrasses can be mean, maroon clowns are mean
- peppermint shrimp may or may not be reef safe
- sally lightfoot crabs are not reef safe
- you may want some sand stirring snails
- don't take the LFS employee's word for anything
- don't take people's advice on this web site without seeing their tanks....lots of people like to comment a bunch and boost post counts and pretend to be 'experts'

i like the big flat rock. You can smash them on the ground to break up - or hammer and screwdriver to trim if you want to adjust something

burtbollinger

IF I WERE YOU, knowing what I know (I've done this hobby successfully for 15 years).

I'd return the maroon clowns (if possible) and work on artfully busting up that top rock, then re-arranging.

IF I WERE YOU, knowing what I know (I've done this hobby successfully for 15 years).

I'd return the maroon clowns (if possible) and work on artfully busting up that top rock, then re-arranging.

Damn long time no see :)
burtbollinger

Damn long time no see :)

LOL...I've started lurking again. After I moved from an apartment to a house (and had a set of twins) I've been out of action a while. Lurking now with the goal of re-learning everything I've forgotten so I can jump back into the hobby in @ 24 months.

LOL...I've started lurking again. After I moved from an apartment to a house (and had a set of twins) I've been out of action a while. Lurking now with the goal of re-learning everything I've forgotten so I can jump back into the hobby in @ 24 months.

Well it's good to see you back. It's like riding a bike you don't forget much :)
burtbollinger

Well it's good to see you back. It's like riding a bike you don't forget much :)

thanks buddy...I was hoping to come back and see a giant revolutionary technology that had made reef-keeping super simple...still no such luck :)

reefWheelie

Apparently maroons are bad? Is it because of the small space? Are they bad for corals or other livestock? Not sure if I can return the fish or not but I will look into it. I don't plan on adding anymore fish. I am unsure of what corals would be best to get. Any recommendations? I don't plan on getting any for another month or so (need the funds to reaccumulate). I am still debating on what to do with the flat rock. I was skeptical when I got it. Should've stuck with my gut.

Apparently maroons are bad? Is it because of the small space? Are they bad for corals or other livestock? Not sure if I can return the fish or not but I will look into it. I don't plan on adding anymore fish. I am unsure of what corals would be best to get. Any recommendations? I don't plan on getting any for another month or so (need the funds to reaccumulate). I am still debating on what to do with the flat rock. I was skeptical when I got it. Should've stuck with my gut.

Maroon clowns get much larger, and are much more aggressive, than percula or occelaris. A mature female can push 6", and they're very heavy set fish. If they're your only inhabitants, they'll be fine for a while, but will eventually outgrow the space.

IME, I'd much prefer a large flat rock to a stack of boulders, depending on what coral you intend to stock that is. I would personally pepper the bottom half with zoanthids and let then grow toward the light

How old is the tank? Algae and diatoms in a young tank is common and pretty normal. It will eventually go away as long as parameters are in check. The tank needs time to mature.

Ask the place where you got the clowns if you can trade them in for an occy or percula pair.

Personally I would go with less rock. But if you like it go for it. + 1 on what others have said about the Maroons. Most LFS will give you store credit on returned fish as long as they are healthy. Maroons, Tomatoes and Clarki's get huge and are super aggressive. Keep in mind that they can live 20 to 30 years maybe more. In a small tank I would get a pair of Perculas. All clowns can be a bit aggressive but Perculas seem to be less aggressive than others.

Archived