ReefCleaners.org

new to SW! please help!

dillon96

ok

i want a SW 10g tank. do i need to buy a new filter? can i use gravel? do i need a new light? i really just want a FO tank with some fake anomones. please help me with these questions.

Thanks

Dillon

If you are starting a FO tank, then you don't need new lighting. You could use gravel, but sand is better, fish waste can get bury under the gravel.

i would get a new filter, cause all the gunk and stuff from fw is all molded in the filter

what fish do you plan on keeping

This is just my opinion so take it or leave it...

If you are doing FO, I would get a larger tank. Tanks aren't really that expensive. What makes large tanks expensive are intense lighting (you don't need), live rock (you aren't using), and stocking with coral (you aren't doing). The only big increase in expense is the amount of salt you will go through.

Nano tanks work for reefs best because corals don't have the space/water volume requirements as fish. With a 10g you are going to be very limited on what you can keep (like 2-3 small fish). You can pick up a larger aquarium (55g or so) for not much, and even cheaper if you find one used. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that I think you will be happier in the long run if you get a bigger tank. Take one trip to a high end marine aquarium store and look at the fish, then look at what you can put in a 10g, if you will be happy with those couple fish, go for it. Otherwise, you might want to just bite the bullet and get a larger tank.

Another suggestion...

I am probably going to get torn apart on this forum for saying this. Since you are only having fish, you could just use a rubbermaid bin and make your own trickle filter/sump. It probably wouldn't cost much more than buying a HOB or canister filter. Then you can throw your junk (heater etc.) in it. Just be sure to keep up with water changes when using a trickle filter... you don't want a nitrate problem (even with FO).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Or another idea...

Set up your 10g as FOWLR (fish only with live rock)... you will eventually get bored with your 2 fish and you will spend hours staring at your LR looking for new critters appearing. Then BAM! you will be running out to upgrade your lights and making a shopping list of corals you want. Hehehehe we will have our claws in you and you will be unable to turn back. We will have gotten another victim to change to the "dark side". :-)

Archived