inTank Media Baskets

Fourthwinds IM "Nuvo 38" build

Fourthwind

Being limited on space for a DT, I decided to go with a cube tank. Picked up this used tank locally and built it from the ground up so to speak.

Nuvo 38 tank

Home made stand

Sicce 1.5 return pump

Jebao RW-4 wave maker

Finnex Digital titanium heater

Tunze 9004 skimmer

Large Sunsun canister with 13 watt UV (experiment with Cermedia)

120 watt black box lights programmable with wifi

2 - 5 watt 6500K led strips for chaeto.

(waiting on the smart micro ATO to get back in stock)

Going to go against the grain with the canister and Cermedia and that will probably get me flamed by a few, but based on some research and talking to some folks who I consider to be tops in the industry I am going to give it a try. The intake is in the sump (post filtered area) and is wrapped to reduce any particles from entering the canister. The outflow goes to one of the two return nozzles. The Sicce pump runs the other nozzle which is why I went with the 1.5 instead of the 2.0

The Nuvo has two surface skimmers running two fuge style baffles on each side of the tank. On one side I have the Tunze skimmer, and an area for floss and chemical media. The other side I am running two media baskets. One will be for floss and chaeto, and the other will be coral rubble. I have removed some of the film IM installs on the back of the tank to install the two LED strips to light the chaeto. These lights are 5 watts each at 6500k. Strips are run from 5 watt micro USB power supplies. The surge protector I installed in the cabinet for power has two 5 watt outputs that I will use to drive these lights.

post-90150-0-26779000-1456933209_thumb.jpgpost-90150-0-29052300-1456933232_thumb.jpg

Almost done with the scaping. Need more epoxy putty and thick cyanocrylic. Also working on some wire channels to hide the wiring going up the wall to the light fixture.

post-90150-0-96540200-1456933252_thumb.jpg

post-90150-0-64466400-1456933246_thumb.gif

Received my Cermedia in the mail today. Really looks like it will do an amazing job of biological filtration. 1 sphere has 240 square feet of biological surface area. My 2 quart package had 34 spheres. That's a little over 8000 square feet of biological surface area. That's the equivalent of 47 gallons or 2800 standard bio balls. Will see how it does!

post-90150-0-79698900-1457023081_thumb.jpg

Still cycling, but I think I have my scaping ready for corals when its ready. Likely another week before that happens. Fish in QT for another month, and corals are in a fish free tank. Hopefully I can keep bugs out of the DT.

post-90150-0-28284600-1457282558_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Progress Update: Tank is cycled! and I might add it has been very stable. I have no doubts that some of that has to do with the Cermedia. Never seen a tank grab of a cycle like this one. Lots of surface area equals lots of bacteria. Added a few pieces of gear. Got the jabeo 4 wave maker working well. Aqua smart micro ATO. IM reactor, and a DIY style heating and cooling control. I bought a rim mount dual fan to make sure temps keep stable during the summer. The controller should keep it all happy.

Got a few of my LPS, zoas, favi, and a piece of Monti cap in there. Everyone is happy happy. Except for the Goni who got ran over by a hermit just before pic time lol

Now my search for Monti Digi and acros that fit my wifes color scheme lol

post-90150-0-26337400-1458434387_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...