Pod Your Reef

Sharbuckle 29/65 (Closed)

Sharbuckle

Cencalfishguy56

Well I've had him nearly a month now and hes still with us. Still haven't seen him eat but he has more spunk than ever.

Avoided disaster today. While I was feeding I noticed the BTA had two or three tentacles stuck in the powerhead. Luckily it has the feed mode button and I was able to shut it off super quick. Moved the powerhead behind the top mushroom rock. Thank god I caught it. I saw the second it happened so no harm came to the nem.

Thinking about buying a camera to take some good pics for you guys.

Oh also, seems as those I have hydroids and some sort of sponge. I was looking at ways to get rid of hydroids but they seem to be getting picked at by something. Alot less today than when I first spotted them.

ive heard peppermints eat them or they disappear on their own

ive heard peppermints eat them or they disappear on their own

Bought a pepperming to eat aiptasia when i bought my first frag from another reefer. Worked wonders, it recently passed on. It was a little asshole to all my coral though.

Cencalfishguy56

Bought a pepperming to eat aiptasia when i bought my first frag from another reefer. Worked wonders, it recently passed on. It was a little asshole to all my coral though.

lol I think mine was a little asshole too after the aptasia because one of my hammers disappeared then when my cleaner ripped him to shreds my euphyllia were fine haha
  • Like 1

Well I've had him nearly a month now and hes still with us. Still haven't seen him eat but he has more spunk than ever.

Glad to hear he's doing good

Elizabeth94

Lovely tank. Your rockscape makes it look much larger than a 29gal. I think I had way too much rock in mine, yours is so open. I love it.

Glad to hear he's doing good

Thanks!

Lovely tank. Your rockscape makes it look much larger than a 29gal. I think I had way too much rock in mine, yours is so open. I love it.

Thanks elizabeth. Ive always had the "pile of rocks" look in my other tanks. Im a big fan of negative space. Also gives the fish some swimming room. The euphyllia will fill it out plenty so there was no need for more rock.

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 1

Well sad news. Yellow clown goby has passed on. Never saw him eat anything... Tried all kinds of food. Rest in peace little guy. I think in the end he was intimidated by the other fish.

Well sad news. Yellow clown goby has passed on. Never saw him eat anything... Tried all kinds of food. Rest in peace little guy. I think in the end he was intimidated by the other fish.

Truly I am so sorry to hear of this. They are one of my favoirte fish. Mine was very hard to get to eat at first as well. I fed the tank twice a day, a mixture of toods, just to hope he ate something. He now is very bold and eats anything I put in the tank as long as the particle size is pretty small. Mini mysis, fish eggs and such.

Not only did my poor little clown goby pass on.... my mag float decided to have its felt peel off and put a nice big 2" scratch on the center of my glass..... FFS. it was quite the day.

Decided to treat myself to some new mushrooms and bought the Tunze Nano Glass Magnet. Damn this thing is a million times better than the mag float. LOVE IT. Saw some nice leathers and softies at the store, trying to stick to my Euphyllia/Mushroom concept. Its hard with so many awesome corals. That softie revolutionist thread sure has me going.

Shot of one of the mushrooms before I brought it home.

shrooms.jpg

Got another 3 ricordias, blue and yellow on one frag plug.

ALSO. Decided that instead of going for the Eshopps nano cube refugium i'm going to build my own using a standard 10g tank. Picked up some marineland tank sealer and i'm gonna give it a go this week sometime. First ever attempt at it so we shall see how it goes.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

Well I picked up a 10g marineland glass tank for my sump today. Fits perfectly in the stand with room for a 3-5g jug for my ato. Woo

Placed my old t5 light on it and damn it fits perfect. Dare I? Naaaah i'll just stick with the one reef for now. :rolleyes:

10G.jpg

Gonna try to get some baffles cut tomorrow for this guy. DIY attempt #1 underway.

• Like 1

Thanks to the identification forums I now know that this is just euphyllia splitting. Thank goodness. Thought it had cancer or something.

The tank was transferred over from the 16 gallon 6 weeks ago tomorrow. I'm so happy with the way it's going. My vision is being realized. I now have 7 pieces of euphyllia and 5 type of shrooms. I can't wait until this thing starts to fill in.

Added two small frags yesterday. A orange/gold hammer and an unknown euphyllia for $10, its really small and is inside of snail shell but its pretty, really pretty.

Also added a few more snails and hermits to deal with a small algae bloom. Find myself scraping the glass a lot more.

Should be starting my sump build this week, one of the guys at the LFS has some glass I can have for free, decided on a Sicce return pump and the tunze 9001 skimmer.

Pics to come later this afternoon when lights are less blue.

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56

Thanks to the identification forums I now know that this is just euphyllia splitting. Thank goodness. Thought it had cancer or something.

The tank was transferred over from the 16 gallon 6 weeks ago tomorrow. I'm so happy with the way it's going. My vision is being realized. I now have 7 pieces of euphyllia and 5 type of shrooms. I can't wait until this thing starts to fill in.

Added two small frags yesterday. A orange/gold hammer and an unknown euphyllia for $10, its really small and is inside of snail shell but its pretty, really pretty.

Also added a few more snails and hermits to deal with a small algae bloom. Find myself scraping the glass a lot more.

Should be starting my sump build this week, one of the guys at the LFS has some glass I can have for free, decided on a Sicce return pump and the tunze 9001 skimmer.

Pics to come later this afternoon when lights are less blue.

im ready for some pics lol

im ready for some pics lol

Pictures you shall receive!

Photo Dump time.

What I think its a torch coral spawn. Got it for $10 at LFS.

image_22.jpeg

Hairy Mushrooms I thought had dissapeared. Apparently not! This guy snuck up from underneath a rock.

image_21.jpeg

What i'm told are "Superman" Mushrooms. Three on this rock. Looking good.

image_20.jpeg

The start of a Riccordea garden it would seem!

image_19.jpeg

Orange and gold hammer frag. This guy will be preeeety when its all grown up.

image_18.jpeg

Last but not least. FTS taken Today.

image_17.jpeg

Thanks for looking. :D

• Like 5
pewpewkittah

I need a camera so you all can see the true beauty of this thing... Ugh, phone cameras suck

Just because you don't have a fancy camera does not mean we do not see the real beauty of this tank. I love it! I've always been a lover of Euphyllia. You don't have any problems with the coral beauty nipping? I would like to get one for my tank...

Just because you don't have a fancy camera does not mean we do not see the real beauty of this tank. I love it! I've always been a lover of Euphyllia. You don't have any problems with the coral beauty nipping? I would like to get one for my tank...

Thanks pewpewkittah.

No trouble so far with the coral beauty nipping, Keep it well fed and happy and you will have no trouble.

Cencalfishguy56

Pictures you shall receive!

Photo Dump time.

What I think its a torch coral spawn. Got it for $10 at LFS.

image_22.jpeg

Hairy Mushrooms I thought had dissapeared. Apparently not! This guy snuck up from underneath a rock.

image_21.jpeg

What i'm told are "Superman" Mushrooms. Three on this rock. Looking good.

image_20.jpeg

The start of a Riccordea garden it would seem!

image_19.jpeg

Orange and gold hammer frag. This guy will be preeeety when its all grown up.

image_18.jpeg

Last but not least. FTS taken Today.

image_17.jpeg

Thanks for looking. :D

love it!!! Maybe that's a galaxea frag? But kinda looks like a torch also lol either way both are LPS

Hurray for tax returns! Picked up an overflow and return pump today from LFS. Eshopps 300 and a Sicce silent return pump. Also picking up glass for baffles today. Debating on skimmers or not, I may just run the 10g as a refugium. Hmmmm

image_24.jpeg

image_23.jpeg

• Like 2

looking good sharbuckle. wish I had room under my tank for a sump/rufugium. one of these days I'll have to upgrade I guess (probably should wait till I'm gainfully employed though!). How long have your blue shrooms been up that high in the tank? Are you concerned at all that they might lose their color? I thought they needed lower light. I recently purchased one and have it almost on the sanded.

I was really happy with my eshopps overflow boxes. Mine were nanos and getting the syphon going was a bugger but they worked flawlwssly once that happened. The closer your return pump is matched to the max flow of the overflow box the better. Too little flow and bubbles will build up in the U tube and threaten to break the syphon, too much and you will get a sucking noise from the drain. Having a valve on the return pump (or an adjustable return pump) helps dial that in.

looking good sharbuckle. wish I had room under my tank for a sump/rufugium. one of these days I'll have to upgrade I guess (probably should wait till I'm gainfully employed though!). How long have your blue shrooms been up that high in the tank? Are you concerned at all that they might lose their color? I thought they needed lower light. I recently purchased one and have it almost on the sanded.

They've been up there a few weeks. Seem to be doing great. I'm not too concerned about color loss. They look super purple in person and I'm cool with that. Suppose i'll keep a watchful eye on them. Thanks for the heads up!

I was really happy with my eshopps overflow boxes. Mine were nanos and getting the syphon going was a bugger but they worked flawlwssly once that happened. The closer your return pump is matched to the max flow of the overflow box the better. Too little flow and bubbles will build up in the U tube and threaten to break the syphon, too much and you will get a sucking noise from the drain. Having a valve on the return pump (or an adjustable return pump) helps dial that in.

Thanks so much for the advice. My first sump build so I'm going into it rather ignorant. Asked lots of questions at the LFS and they've always pointed me in the right direction. The pump I have is adjustable but I also bought a double union ball valve so I can have twice the control.

Picked up my glass today and had a go cutting it. Managed to get two baffles cut perfectly and they're currently siliconed in the tank. Pretty messy job but it will be hidden away so I'm not too concerned. Gonna put the other two baffles in the morning as I was getting a bit frustrated with the glass cutting. Broke a few pieces lol.....

Bought all the PVC and fittings I need to get my return line in place but it seems I don't have an attachment to get the 3/4" pvc to attach to the return... Bummer. Back to the store.

Decided to paint the back of the tank black. As per the original plan. I was liking the clear background but I really like the clean look of hiding all the equipment behind paint. Just gotta figure out how to paint it while its running....

Pics tomorrow, but most likely thursday.

• Like 1