ReefCleaners.org

Sharbuckle 29/65 (Closed)

Sharbuckle

3 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I can not help with an ID but they sure are purdy!

Arent they? :D

Damn lfs turned on just actinics and my jaw dropped. They sure know how to work me over lol

• Like 2
jedimasterben

They're just a Z. sansibaricus morph. Could be just about anything with a fancy name, but unless it comes from the original source, it's not likely.

7 hours ago, jedimasterben said:

They're just a Z. sansibaricus morph. Could be just about anything with a fancy name, but unless it comes from the original source, it's not likely.

Sansibaricus are from vietname/japan right? 

This rock came straight from fiji. 

When it comes to zoas, I don't have a clue what any of mine are called, ha ha.  Just so they look good.

There ya go, someone who knows what they are talking about!

jedimasterben
2 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Sansibaricus are from vietname/japan right? 

This rock came straight from fiji. 

They're common across the Pacific and the most likely species.

• Like 1

Okay. It's been a long while since I've given an in depth update on this tank so here we go.

Current Livestock:

Clownfish Pair

Yellow Coris Wrasse

Long Fin Fairy Wrasse

Harbour Goby

Two Barred Rabbitfish 

Yelloweye Kole Tang

The rabbitfish was added as a utility to battle some small patches of hair algae and has since not touched a single strand.

Added the Kole Tang yesterday and can truly say that I already love this fish. Not shy at all, constantly cruising and picking at the rocks. Beautiful fish. My first tang actually.

Harbour Goby murdered it's pistol shrimp in cold blood a while ago and i've been looking for a large tiger pistol to pair up with the killer.

Corals:

When I started my 16g over a year and a half ago the plan was to be a Euphyllia dominated tank. As I've upgraded the tank (twice) it has slowly been morphing towards a mixed softy reef. I kept three euphyllia and have gone a bit gorgonian crazy. 

I've added 7 gorgonians and 2 NPS reef fans since transferring into the 65g. 

The tank also now has 8 leather corals and a wealth of zoanthids. 

Safe to say i'm in love with the softies.

Equipment:

Recently built a canopy and added a two bulb t5 strip to supplement the t5's with. I'm seeing a positive reaction from the coral. Especially from the zoanthids. They were reaching for light before. Not anymore.

I removed all my powerheads and added one Glamorca Gyre (liscensed by Maxspect, same product as IceCap Gyre, just under a different name in asia and Canada). The flow it produces is incredible and my diatoms have all but vanished since adding it. However, the clips that hold the rotors to the shaft have been wearing almost weekly. You get what you pay for I suppose. LFS has been great by giving me replacement clips as they break. 

Also. Started to frag zoanthids for the first time. Really nerve wrecking when you razor blade off a head of $50pp zoas... some minor success and some minor failure. Fun learning experience however.

Anyway, if you've read this far. Thanks. Time to upload some photos.

Cheers

IMG_5342.PNG

IMG_5343.PNG

IMG_5344.PNG

• Like 5

I absolutely love the direction you have taken this tank in!  It looks really great.  You have interesting characters, like the murderer, and the rabbitfish who refuses to eat algae which make your thread amusing and fun to read, ha ha!  The tank has good color and great texture and I am so glad that you did not go smaller like you were thinking awhile back.  I think you have done an excellant job.  My 1 constructive criticism would be, replace your diy frag rack and buy one that is lower profile.  I feel that it detracts from the beauty of your reef.

RIP Sebastian
18 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I absolutely love the direction you have taken this tank in!  It looks really great.  You have interesting characters, like the murderer, and the rabbitfish who refuses to eat algae which make your thread amusing and fun to read, ha ha!  The tank has good color and great texture and I am so glad that you did not go smaller like you were thinking awhile back.  I think you have done an excellant job.  My 1 constructive criticism would be, replace your diy frag rack and buy one that is lower profile.  I feel that it detracts from the beauty of your reef.

+1

Or put them in your zoa frag tank.

7 hours ago, vlangel said:

As usual I appreciate the wonderful reply Dawn. I also really appreciate the criticism. The frag rack is temporary until we solve an algae outbreak in mels 15g.  Thought about getting a clear frag rack but I think I can handle the eggcrate for a while longer.

7 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

+1

Or put them in your zoa frag tank.

Zoa tank ended up being my ladys first reef. Its coming along nicely other than some big algae outbreak. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, vlangel said:

I did not realize that it was only temporary.  Yep, I would not mind that.  Good luck with getting Mel's tank cleared up.

Thanks. Picked up some Aquaforest Phosphate Minus today. Heard great things. 

6 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

The tank is really looking great!  Love all the gorgonians. ?

Thanks friend :)

Hoping this will starve out the dinos. 

IMG_5362.JPG

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw your update :(, hope you can get through this disaster and keep going!! At least you were home at the time and it looks like you were were able to save most of the livestock!

Are you on Canreef? I'm sure some of the guys near you would happily give you some frags to get things back on track with a rebuild.

• Like 1

I really like this tank and suspect this is one that I'd really enjoy just sitting in front of and watching in real life. 

Whatever has happened, I hope you are able to turn it around, cause you obviously know how to build a beautiful Reef.

He posted on Instracrap that the tank had a crack and the corals and fish were in the other tank and with a friend :o

I'm pretty sure he's too busy to get on N-R right now, but we're thinking about him!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Kyl said:

Saw your update :(, hope you can get through this disaster and keep going!! At least you were home at the time and it looks like you were were able to save most of the livestock!

Are you on Canreef? I'm sure some of the guys near you would happily give you some frags to get things back on track with a rebuild.

2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I really like this tank and suspect this is one that I'd really enjoy just sitting in front of and watching in real life. 

Whatever has happened, I hope you are able to turn it around, cause you obviously know how to build a beautiful Reef.

1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

He posted on Instracrap that the tank had a crack and the corals and fish were in the other tank and with a friend :o

I'm pretty sure he's too busy to get on N-R right now, but we're thinking about him!

Guys thanks for all the kind words.

Been a busy day...

Waching tv today and my tank cracked. Not just a little crack, top to bottom. The rear panel was gushing water. Managed to save all livestock. Some is with a friend, some is sold. 

I recently lost my job so its really bad timing. As I have no money in the bank or coming in I have to sell off most of my coral and fish to be able to afford a new tank.

im thinking about the IM 40. Truly i want the 50 lagoon but damn thats pricey.

once i sell enough coral ill hopefully order the IM 40.

stay tuned folks.

trying to keep my chin up

Damn dude.  Glad you were able to save everything.  What's the chances of that happening while you are home to deal with it. 

You'll be back up and running in no time. ?

• Like 1