Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Sharbuckle 29/65 (Closed)

Sharbuckle

Well all the baffles are in place.... definitely not pretty. really hard siliconing the bubble trap together.. damn.

Anyway, dont really care if its not pretty, nobody is gonna see it! Water test tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

One of my superman mushrooms went missing two days ago. just found it on the opposite side of my tank. is this normal?

One of my superman mushrooms went missing two days ago. just found it on the opposite side of my tank. is this normal?

Sometimes they like to relocate, if they have any issues with flow or light and float around until they find another place to attach, nothing to worry about. Just be careful your powerheads can't eat it.

Well first baffle is leaky.... Lol. More silicone and 24 hours.... Made my return line from pvc today. Looks good. Need to get a fitting to attach it to return and we're almost all set.

Cencalfishguy56

Well first baffle is leaky.... Lol. More silicone and 24 hours.... Made my return line from pvc today. Looks good. Need to get a fitting to attach it to return and we're almost all set.

hurry up I wanna see lol
  • Like 1

Well its been about 24 hours since sump has been re sealed, one tiny little leak in last baffle. Fix tomorrow, hopefully plumbed in by sunday!

image_25.jpeg

Tank is in tub and on an angle but you get the point! Haha

Also pretty pumped i cut all the glass myself, this DIY stuff aint so hard.

• Like 3

Still not 100% sure on what this Hitchiker is but its getting bigger and its polyps are extending more and more everyday.

image_26.jpeg

• Like 3
Cencalfishguy56

Still not 100% sure on what this Hitchiker is but its getting bigger and its polyps are extending more and more everyday.

image_26.jpeg

i like the DIY man! Also hmm interesting for sure looks like a filter feeder

Okay so the sump is all sealed and ready to go! Plumbing is all cut and im currently gluing it together. Ball valve is visible so I will most definitely be putting a black background on soon.

FTS just taken now.

Here we go!

image_27.jpeg

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56

Okay so the sump is all sealed and ready to go! Plumbing is all cut and im currently gluing it together. Ball valve is visible so I will most definitely be putting a black background on soon.

FTS just taken now.

Here we go!

image_27.jpeg

YEEESSSSSS

I was under the impression you had to let the pvc glue cure for ages. Most people online are saying wait minimum one hour so thats what i'll do. Just did a small water change and i'm mixing water for the sump. Pics to come in an hour. Wish me luck.

• Like 1

Everything is plumbed in. Filled up. Working flawlessly! Woohoo. Go me. First ever sump, first really DIY and i'm pretty impressed.

HOWEVER.

Holy crap this thing is loud. Pump is dead silent. A bit of noise with water going up the pipe, but the Eshopps PF-300 overflow is so damn loud. Incredibly loud gurgling sounds are filling my living room with unwanted noise. I know my girlfriend won't be too pleased when she comes home from work. The tank was dead silent when she left lol. Looking into the Hofer Gurgle Buster but I don't have the tools necessary to build one. Any other suggestions?

• Like 2
Cencalfishguy56

Everything is plumbed in. Filled up. Working flawlessly! Woohoo. Go me. First ever sump, first really DIY and i'm pretty impressed.

HOWEVER.

Holy crap this thing is loud. Pump is dead silent. A bit of noise with water going up the pipe, but the Eshopps PF-300 overflow is so damn loud. Incredibly loud gurgling sounds are filling my living room with unwanted noise. I know my girlfriend won't be too pleased when she comes home from work. The tank was dead silent when she left lol. Looking into the Hofer Gurgle Buster but I don't have the tools necessary to build one. Any other suggestions?

saaaaweeeeeet! Pics man! I wouldn't know about the gurgling since my plumbing is unconventional but I will say getting my sump to stay level has been a PITA, past of me wonders if I should have got an AIO lol

HOWEVER.

Good for you on successfully making your sump and then plumbing it! I know how that feels because I did the same thing. Turning the return pump on for the very first time can be a very anxious moment, ha ha!

Mine drain was also loud. Are you getting a lot of sucking noise because the overflow fills too fast and then creates a syphon? If that is the cause then you can throttle back your return pump a little and see if that helps. A hofer gurgle buster can only help so much. I have the same problem with my drain being pretty noisy. Since I use a mag drive pump (and they are not suppose to be throttled back) I had my husband make me a hofer gurgle buster. It helps with the noise in that it is longer between the gurgling but it is far from silent. I am going to put a valve on my return so I can throttle it back a bit and see if that fixes it.

jedimasterben

Good for you on successfully making your sump and then plumbing it! I know how that feels because I did the same thing. Turning the return pump on for the very first time can be a very anxious moment, ha ha!

Mine drain was also loud. Are you getting a lot of sucking noise because the overflow fills too fast and then creates a syphon? If that is the cause then you can throttle back your return pump a little and see if that helps. A hofer gurgle buster can only help so much. I have the same problem with my drain being pretty noisy. Since I use a mag drive pump (and they are not suppose to be throttled back) I had my husband make me a hofer gurgle buster. It helps with the noise in that it is longer between the gurgling but it is far from silent. I am going to put a valve on my return so I can throttle it back a bit and see if that fixes it.

Danner Mag pumps have no problems with their outputs valved down - the same physics applies to the pump as if you were pushing more head height. The pump actually uses less power (and therefore less heat), as well :)

• Like 1

How well do instagram links do here? Lets find out.

https://instagram.com/p/BDUclsdoT7i/

This is great :) He's going to town!

image_26.jpeg

I really like this little thing, whatever it is!

Just caught up on your thread! the tank is looking great! I am sorry to hear about your clown goby :(

You could try a smaller version of these. The concept is actually relatively simple and works great. You can buy them or get all the parts at a local hardware store.

This is pretty cool, is there a list of things to buy to make your own?

saaaaweeeeeet! Pics man! I wouldn't know about the gurgling since my plumbing is unconventional but I will say getting my sump to stay level has been a PITA, past of me wonders if I should have got an AIO lol

Thanks. Pics to come when everything is open. The sump seems to have worked damn well all night, girlfriend definitely isn't happy about the noise though ...

No sucking noise, already dialed the return back to its minimum setting and closed the ball valve on the return quite a bit. Gonna try to build the hofer buster today , will post results.

This is great :) He's going to town!

I really like this little thing, whatever it is!

Just caught up on your thread! the tank is looking great! I am sorry to hear about your clown goby :(

Thanks stella, was too hard to get the little guy to eat. Oh well, a part the hobby i guess. Thinking i may add a pistol/goby pair. Once i get some mesh up top that is.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

The hofer will definitely do what you need, but keep in mind that you'll need to keep the return below ~300gph or so to keep the drain quiet.

Then again, the Sicce pump you have should be right around the right head height to keep it in that range, so you should not need to valve it down any :)

The hofer will definitely do what you need, but keep in mind that you'll need to keep the return below ~300gph or so to keep the drain quiet.

Then again, the Sicce pump you have should be right around the right head height to keep it in that range, so you should not need to valve it down any :)

We will see how the buster fares and go from there, right now its geared down i have a ball valve turned down as well. So we shall see.

I used to have a standard 29, with an overflow box too. I made a "stockman standpipe" and it got my overflow nice and quiet. You could make one out of standard PVC parts from Home Depot.

Full Tank shot. Much less equipment but you can see the plumbing :(. So I will definitely be putting some sort of background. Black I Think.

image_29.jpeg

Here you can see the tank in all its glory.

image_28.jpeg

• Like 1

Not sure why i'm telling you all this but I thought the foam that went around the overflow pipe was there for a reason, turns out its just packaging, took it off and its 50% quieter. Still getting a gurgle so I'm gonna make a stockman standpipe and give it a whirl.

• Like 1