Cultivated Reef

Sharbuckle 29/65 (Closed)

Sharbuckle

I had this in my 40 for a while.  I just let it go, stirred the sand every once in a while, and eventually it faded.  I understand this isn't ideal, I get upset whenever anything in my big tank looks off, but for the smaller tank gentle neglect has always worked wonders. :)  I'm not a fan of PO4 removers, I think they introduce more problems than they solve.  Any change will lead to a short imbalance and might make matters worse but I would consider taking GFO offline.  I don't use any PO4 remover in my 40 and while it's gone through algae cycles it's generally not overrun with algae.

• Like 2

Shar

if that tank was mine it would be parted out and cleaned, the sb rinsed in smoking steaming tap water until it ran perfectly clean, then all reassembled skip cycle. don't play around with that invader, just attack is my mode. you have caught it before takeover, the rip clean is a powerful method     A rip clean means invader gone by 5 pm today...then if it grows back, repeat the rip, and then run any number of the dino battling techniques on the clean condition tank

a secret to being algae free is never take action on algae you can see, only take water actions nutrient/controls/clean up crews/chemical actions on algae you muscled out. 

2 hours ago, markalot said:

I had this in my 40 for a while.  I just let it go, stirred the sand every once in a while, and eventually it faded.  I understand this isn't ideal, I get upset whenever anything in my big tank looks off, but for the smaller tank gentle neglect has always worked wonders. :)  I'm not a fan of PO4 removers, I think they introduce more problems than they solve.  Any change will lead to a short imbalance and might make matters worse but I would consider taking GFO offline.  I don't use any PO4 remover in my 40 and while it's gone through algae cycles it's generally not overrun with algae.

I've had success with GFO in the past but it was on a 15g and the algae hadn't really taken a hold yet.... I'll give it a while longer I think. Then I will try your method. LFS told me worst thing I could do with Dinos is water change. Said it will feed them. Is this true?

51 minutes ago, brandon429 said:

Shar

if that tank was mine it would be parted out and cleaned, the sb rinsed in smoking steaming tap water until it ran perfectly clean, then all reassembled skip cycle. don't play around with that invader, just attack is my mode. you have caught it before takeover, the rip clean is a powerful method     A rip clean means invader gone by 5 pm today...then if it grows back, repeat the rip, and then run any number of the dino battling techniques on the clean condition tank

a secret to being algae free is never take action on algae you can see, only take water actions nutrient/controls/clean up crews/chemical actions on algae you muscled out. 

I've debated this however it's all over my zoanthids and frag rack as well. Funny enough the only zoas that aren't covered are the ones on the sandbed, surrounded by algae. 

the zos are resistant to peroxide it wouldn't be a horrible idea to rinse them in a small dilution reefwater and perx outside the tank, as the rocks are rinsed off and the substrate blasted clean. if no detritus clouding is imported back into the setup tank, it will not recycle.

steps can be taken to verify if that is bad dinos before big action if preferred

on r2r dino threads they have posted cheap microscopes now avail on amazon that will take a pic of the cells cheap

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Handheld-Digital-Microscope-Pro/dp/B00CMJ1I08/ref=pd_lutyp_simh_4_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00CMJ1I08&pd_rd_r=859NZ7RX90XGS5Z2X1EW&pd_rd_w=hAEKl&pd_rd_wg=sRa3o&psc=1&refRID=859NZ7RX90XGS5Z2X1EW

cheap mass produced video scopes are fun future use reef toy anyway, and the big job isn't as indicated if this is just cyano or something appearing with the morphology of invasive dino strains. I vote 90% its dino strains they've posted at r2r going off those pics.

many take lesser actions such as just removing it in tank, and not parting/cleaning agreed its all a spectrum of option.

The key push for the rip clean however remains that its regenerative, not stressful, for a nano reef all the time. That type of detritus removal cannot be beaten, the invasive mass that can be removed physically using nothing as a rinse other than sw are so powerful that a rip cleaning is what we can do to regenerate a tank that is running perfectly fine. in your case its the most assertive action for something with a fair invasion potential.

Once you run a thorough rip cleaning you'll come to use them from time to time. It only seems like something that would be harsh. if that turns out to be truly invasive strains, you are on your last window of opportunity. if not, then any partial guiding will probably work just fine.

There's no denial that hands off reefing works for a long time, but if you want to rip clean you'll simply have a brighter reef/corals opening even wider. its regenerative and flushing, like a real reef. effects are seen next day.

The pore size of your substrate requires rip cleaning in fact, but not immediately. im not saying you couldn't get out 40 months but its a larger grain, that takes on more mass. you don't have to run the big job now for sure, but consider it as a back pocket idea for future events

• Like 1

Wellllllll. Algae update. It is all but gone from my system.

Lowered photo period to 6 hours. 

Less feedings. 

Physical removal.

Aquaforest Phosphate Minus.

Added filter sock.

All of those things combined battled away the dinos, and bryopsis....

Happy tank, Happy Shawn!

Also, don't tell anybody but I think i'm going to put one sps frag in this tank. Not my first foray into hard coral however it has been a very loooong time (8 years) since I kept sps. Thinking about a lemon lime millepora. Maybe an orange digitata as well. 

K bye

• Like 2
Sharbuckle

Algae battle over. Other than a few small patches of bryopsis on my frag rack. Came in from a friends tank. Argh. 

Also,

I just bought a 5 foot, 8 bulb, t5ho fixture.......

Now I need a tank to go under it... 

• Like 3

Well. I just dropped more money on a single head of zoanthid then i've spent on any other coral. 

Adonis Maul on it's way friday. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

you spent 300 bucks on a single zoa polyp to put in a new tank?

Yes. you make me sound crazy? 

• Like 3
gone_PHiSHin

haha well i would have at least waited until the new tank algae and such was all through...stability would make me feel a little better about putting a $300 single polyp in my tank!

lets get a pic of this guy!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

haha well i would have at least waited until the new tank algae and such was all through...stability would make me feel a little better about putting a $300 single polyp in my tank!

lets get a pic of this guy!

It shows up tomorrow. Along with some other beauties. New tank algae is gone. No cycle. It was all beautifully cured live rock that I've had for two plus years. My zoas are all exploding with growth at the moment so I believe its a perfect time. 

I totally agree with where your head is at though. Im more worried about the three heads of aussie gold torch i bought. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gogeta said:

Pics!!

as soon as theyre in the tank i will take some pics :)

1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

I can't wait to these!  Where did you order from? 

Candy Corals in Toronto. Canada :) wish I had access to all the online suppliers you guys have. Candy Corals carry only high end showstopper kind of stuff. So pumped. It's like Christmas. 

• Like 1

Well. I promised pictures but nothing really opened before I left for work. Only managed to snap a pic of this RR Amarillo. First SPS in over 6 years. We'll see how she goes. 

image.jpg

• Like 1
Just now, RIP Sebastian said:

+1

Just now, WV Reefer said:

Where dem pics? 

Haha they're coming. My gold torch melted within 24 hours. :( they gave me a credit. More zoos on the way lol

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

Haha they're coming. My gold torch melted within 24 hours. :( they gave me a credit. More zoos on the way lol

Ooh nooo!  

I guess we'll wait. :happy: