ReefCleaners.org

SCWD Power

BoyReefer

Today I filled my future ten gallon nano-reef with pre-mixed RO saltwater tha I purcased from the LFS. I also added my first piece of live rock as well as 5 lbs. of live sand for aesthetic purposes. But anyways, I also put my SCWD unit on the back of my ten gallon for the first time as well. It was put together in my presence by the LFS I purchased it at and they put a Maxijet 900 on it. When I turned it on I discovered that it didn't put out as much water as I had hoped it would because I plan on keeping certain corals such as SPS and zoanthids that require a substantial amount of water flow. My question is : Should I upgrade the pump? Is fo what should I upgrade it to? Would a Mag be too powerful for my ten gallon?

Also about what teperature should I set my Ebo-Jager heater to? I currently have it at 78 degrees. Is this about right?

Finally, I tested the specific gravity of my tank and it came out to about 1.024. Is this good or should I try nd lower it a bit?

Thanx!

ScottyDon't

SCWD's take between 10 and 20 percent from your flow with more being taken from lower flow pumps. Mag 2 is 275gph and mag 3 is 375gph at 0' head and 125gph and 270gph at 4' head respectively. Figure the scwd will take close to 20% off those numbers. So you would be ok with a mag 2 if using closed loop and ok with mag 3 if using a sump. My 2 cents. Btw, all these numbers are easy to find on the internet.

Scott

Originally posted by ScottyDon't

SCWD's take between 10 and 20 percent from your flow with more being taken from lower flow pumps.   Mag 2 is 275gph and mag 3 is 375gph at 0' head and 125gph and 270gph at 4' head respectively.  Figure the scwd will take close to 20%  off those numbers.  So you would be ok with a mag 2 if using closed loop and ok with mag 3 if using a sump.  My 2 cents.  Btw, all these numbers are easy to find on the internet.

Scott

Dude where were you when I asked a similar question?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=36623

I want to put a pump on the back of my 5g minibow. So it will be only about 1' from top of pump to top of tank. At 1', the mag 3 pushes 350gph - scwd(20%)= is what 270gph? is that too much for a 5g?

Sorry, If i hijacked the thread!

I've no practical experience yet but am in the process of setting up my own SCWD.

I researched abit and it's recommended to use pipes with internal diameter double the pump's internal diameter. So a 1/2" opening would use 1" pipes. This is to reduce power loss.

I'm planning to use a Mag 5 or Mag 7 and add ball valves just in case it's too powerful.

Cellenzweig
I researched abit and it's recommended to use pipes with internal diameter double the pump's internal diameter. So a 1/2" opening would use 1" pipes. This is to reduce power loss.
I always figured that would just be offset the extra weight in wate4r it has to push. Maybe it's time to buy some new tubing and reducers...

it may be reccomended to use 2x the id pipe as the ph output, but physics says that this will be a mute point. use the same size diameter pipes will rduce the amount of water inthe pipesand thus reduce the actuall load the pump has on it.

Before being concerned with the flow from a SCWD, I think you should do some reading to learn the basics of reefkeeping. Zooanthids are not corals. They are sessile invertibrates as are anemones. If they have too much water flow they may remain closed and eventually die. SPS corals do require a lot of turbulent water flow as well as bright light and calcium to thrive. I think some reading and study will go a long way in making this a pleasant and rewarding experience. Good luck.

Yah WTH? I have to agree and disagree with the oldtimer. My zoos do fine on the substrate, under a HOB filter, near a PH, and around acronyms.

However, SPS require a LOT of research and a LOT more time than most corals, and much better water quality than most corals. Still, some are will fine in a 10g even with just marginal lighting. Buh ohhhhhhhhhhhhh does MH change things...

Uhh so yah, a SQWD would be good....

I think high flow of water helps to brake down crap that your fish do =D helps pull the sane bed around tooo so i agree high flow is verry good

Archived