Coral Vue Hydros

20 Gallons: 100 Corals ~ New Hydra!

TFish77

I have come to the conclusion that there was something in the water I purchased that killed my fish. What it is, I will never know. However I think I found a way around running into that issue again: Make my own water :D

If you want the job done right, do it yourself!

hyhkTuJ.jpg

• Like 7
Cencalfishguy56

I have come to the conclusion that there was something in the water I purchased that killed my fish. What it is, I will never know. However I think I found a way around running into that issue again: Make my own water :D

If you want the job done right, do it yourself!

hyhkTuJ.jpg

I love and hate your thread because of all the pics loading on mobile lol
  • Like 1

i love how you took a pic with a name of each coral. And i feel your pain on the hippo, I wish "chain stores" wouldnt sell those fish, real reefers just dont fish there so too many novice uneduacted people go in to stores like that, buy a tank, some gravel, plastic decorations, tank it home and watch everything die.

• Like 1

Dropped the two new clowns in and they seem to be doing great! Also managed to grab a few pics of the yasha and pistol doing their thing. Sooo happy they made it through the fishpocalypse.

9xwco3U.jpg

fqO2dNG.jpg

rz0Mqjb.jpg

k4RX2tF.jpg

efIEnPX.jpg

xMWjvXO.jpg

• Like 13

I love and hate your thread because of all the pics loading on mobile lol

Lol I have been told that can be an issue. My b :happy:! I would change it if it hadn't taken me 4 threads to finally get all the pics together and one after another.

That is awesome about the yasha goby! Its nice to have your own water station anyway and you will be glad that you did that.

Not sure if you saw the new pics but he definitely has found his pistol buddy. I couldn't be happier with them :D ! He was truly my "great white buffalo" of a fish.

• Like 1

i love how you took a pic with a name of each coral. And i feel your pain on the hippo, I wish "chain stores" wouldnt sell those fish, real reefers just dont fish there so too many novice uneduacted people go in to stores like that, buy a tank, some gravel, plastic decorations, tank it home and watch everything die.

Unfortunately yes. Many people get into this hobby and treat it like they would a betta or glowfish tank. While I don't consider this hobby a hard one, it does require a certain degree of consistency and common sense that unfortunately isn't quite present in a lot of people.

I am not looking forward to the mass genocide of hippos that will inevitably happen after finding dory comes out. Every 10 year old is going to go into their LFS, see a baby hippo, and drop "dory" in an uncycled tank with some prime and be "good to go".

such beautiful corals. I love the yellow Zoas! Wait...I love all of it!

Awesome thank you! Although don't be mad at me but I pulled all of the yellow zoas (scrambled eggs) and everything else on the far right rock out. I promise I have incredible replacements for them. :D

I like the misbar and tailspot clowns. :)

I hope they live long and prosper.

You know I didn't even think of it being a misbar. I purchased them both as plain old ocellaris. Thanks for the heads up! They seem to be getting along great.

.... Although one of those bastards did try and take a nip at me the other day :angry: . Didn't hurt but still scared the crap outa me!

I love how happy your Yasha and Pistol look together. :) FYI your Yasha is a male. You can tell by the black spot on the sucker fin.

So I guess Yolanda the Yasha is no longer a proper name :D. Thanks for the heads up on the sex. Would have never known.

...Maybe Yuri the Yasha!

• Like 1

Sorry to see the fish crash you had, when I set my tank up I had little surface agitation and overnight I guess it was a low oxygen environment because I woke up in the morning to find a dead angelfish, dead cleaner shrimp, and a clown hardly moving gasping at the surface. Fortunately I had water already made and threw the clown in it and she lived, but that was a horrifying experience, can't imagine how awful it must have felt to have all fish in the tank die. In any case, good to see you're bouncing back from it. I do like the new clowns too, the tail spot one is very cool.

• Like 1

I have a frag of pink goni that's not doing so well. yours seem very happy. any tips?

Mine seems like to like lower light, med-high flow and supplemental feedings. On the contrary my ultra red goni wasn't doing too hot in the same spot so I moved it to higher light and lower flow.

I treat gonis like I do my euphelias. Start them at lower light and lower flow and slowly transition them upwards until you find the sweet spot. Hope this helps!

Sorry to see the fish crash you had, when I set my tank up I had little surface agitation and overnight I guess it was a low oxygen environment because I woke up in the morning to find a dead angelfish, dead cleaner shrimp, and a clown hardly moving gasping at the surface. Fortunately I had water already made and threw the clown in it and she lived, but that was a horrifying experience, can't imagine how awful it must have felt to have all fish in the tank die. In any case, good to see you're bouncing back from it. I do like the new clowns too, the tail spot one is very cool.

Thank you! I considered for maybe a half a second of tearing down the tank but realized two things: One I love this hobby way too much and Two: Corals are my main passion. I hate to lose fish but my corals are my babies :D.

• Like 1

So this has been a very long couple of weeks for me but I am slowly getting everything back to normal. My two main tanks suffered a bit but I think I have everything stable again.

New FTS 3/19/16

9FbXUuV.jpg

I was able to get a temporary frag tank set up to get ready for the upcoming Texas Coral Fest. Myself and a few others will be there representing the late Alfred Armour and Dynamic Reef Systems to help raise money for his wife and 1 year old son. I hope anyone in the DFW area can make it out!

YAG6AzT.jpg

gUk4cNk.jpg

pdVJLDK.jpg

AdFPRht.jpg

A lot of corals are being moved around and needless to say I have had a few F%@# ups that I am not proud of. I broke the main frag of my JF Garfbonsai off which I am not happy with.... oh well. I also had a very beautiful chalice disappear behind my rock stack which I searched endlessly for. I was however able to retrieve my 4 head cornbread white zombie frag from behind my rock stack which I was very proud of (I had to use extra long chopsticks) :lol:

GhvgfMR.jpg

3JLRaHs.jpg

Here are a couple sexy pics from my new camera B)

5dXeL8t.jpg

dkwk6Pc.jpg

ENXZql8.jpg

1t0lATB.jpg

yWE4gGJ.jpg

Happy Reefing Everyone!

• Like 4
Cencalfishguy56

Lol I have been told that can be an issue. My b :happy:! I would change it if it hadn't taken me 4 threads to finally get all the pics together and one after another.

Not sure if you saw the new pics but he definitely has found his pistol buddy. I couldn't be happier with them :D ! He was truly my "great white buffalo" of a fish.

It's cool! Love the frag tank! Sell me some frags :D
  • Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Great thread you have going here. I am looking to get a yasha and pistol also- so cool to watch their relationship and the pistols' endless energy to clean up their home. How is feeding them-does the goby catch and bring to the pistol or do they both get their own? Do you have to spot feed and what are you feeding them?

Great thread you have going here. I am looking to get a yasha and pistol also- so cool to watch their relationship and the pistols' endless energy to clean up their home. How is feeding them-does the goby catch and bring to the pistol or do they both get their own? Do you have to spot feed and what are you feeding them?

I don't feed them anything particularly crazy (edit: exactly what I feed the tank is on the first thread post). Grant it at this point I do feed the tank a much wider variety of foods but the pistol lived in the tank for around 8 months by himself without me ever seeing him so he was getting food somehow without the goby bringing it to him :lol:. My yasha seems to run out and grab food for himself when I do feed and I have yet to actually see him physically bring food to the pistol.

• Like 1

Awesome thank you! Although don't be mad at me but I pulled all of the yellow zoas (scrambled eggs) and everything else on the far right rock out. I promise I have incredible replacements for them. :D

AGHHH...What?Why?Where?Wait...What did you do with them?...I Have the perfect spot for them...just saying'...

Thanks for the heads up about the pistol shrimp and yasha pairing. I went back and saw the pics. They are so cute together! Your tank and coral are looking great. Best wishes at the swap, thats nice that you are raising money for his widow and child.

• Like 1

So I guess Yolanda the Yasha is no longer a proper name :D. Thanks for the heads up on the sex. Would have never known.

...Maybe Yuri the Yasha!

Yolando would work too! ;) You could call him Lando for short... Lando Calrissian was a smooth operator, kinda like the way I imagine your Yasha chats with your pistol.

I don't feed them anything particularly crazy (edit: exactly what I feed the tank is on the first thread post). Grant it at this point I do feed the tank a much wider variety of foods but the pistol lived in the tank for around 8 months by himself without me ever seeing him so he was getting food somehow without the goby bringing it to him :lol:. My yasha seems to run out and grab food for himself when I do feed and I have yet to actually see him physically bring food to the pistol.

I had a Yasha/Pistol pair as the the only fish in an 8 gallon. My Yasha spent most of her time with her head poking out of their burrow. I'd target feed with a pipette. She'd eagerly take food. I'd sometimes see her grab a mouthful, spit it into the burrow, then turn around and grab (and swallow) another mouthful so I was under the impression that she would "feed" the shrimp. I saw my shrimp pop out of the burrow frequently at feeding time too. If Yasha hadn't spit some food in the burrow, he'd snatch a piece and scurry back inside to eat.

• Like 2

Yolando would work too! ;) You could call him Lando for short... Lando Calrissian was a smooth operator, kinda like the way I imagine your Yasha chats with your pistol.

I had a Yasha/Pistol pair as the the only fish in an 8 gallon. My Yasha spent most of her time with her head poking out of their burrow. I'd target feed with a pipette. She'd eagerly take food. I'd sometimes see her grab a mouthful, spit it into the burrow, then turn around and grab (and swallow) another mouthful so I was under the impression that she would "feed" the shrimp. I saw my shrimp pop out of the burrow frequently at feeding time too. If Yasha hadn't spit some food in the burrow, he'd snatch a piece and scurry back inside to eat.

You sir are a genius! From this day henceforth my yasha will be known as Lando Calrissian (Lando for short :D ). Editing my original post now.

• Like 3

Frag Tank looks awesome. Never had enough coral to need a frag tank... maybe one day.

Haha thanks! Trust me I never thought I would either especially with such small tanks. Happens to the best of us though I guess :D

AGHHH...What?Why?Where?Wait...What did you do with them?...I Have the perfect spot for them...just saying'...

Well come to Texas! They grow so damn fast too.