ReefCleaners.org

20 Gallons: 100 Corals ~ New Hydra!

TFish77

RIP Sebastian

I'm so sorry to hear about your lost. I'm still a noob but losing my clowns would be awful.

When I read through the post about the loss of fish all I could think of was the BRS 160. They cycled their tank for well over a month. When they added fish, they died after a few days. They tried again and everything is fine.

• Like 1

I have run through every potential problem that both myself and my local LFS could come up with. There were no discrepancies between my water tests and the LFS'. There was no stray current present in the water and I even looked up how to test with my ohm meter just to make sure. I haven't changed anything that I have been doing over the last couple months. Ph, alk, cal, sal, mag, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, and phosphate were all within normal levels. Temperature is also maintained at a constant 78 degrees.

for your water change, is that heater intact or did elements leak into the WC water?

Crash Checklist:

o2

electric current

power out

mg, phos, ph, alk, ca, salinity

ammonia, nitrate, nitrite

flea medicine

bad salt mix

heater element busted

recent environmental changes (pollution, sprays, fertilizers)

we need a sticky of all "verified" reasons for crashes.

• Like 3

Ahhh Tfish, I am so sorry, that is heartbreaking. Those sort of experiences are so painful and when you don't even know what happen it painfully perplexing. Take some time and just let the tank run on auto pilot (doing WCs of course)a while and maybe put a poly filter in the biowheel's chamber to pull out a contaminant just in case something got in the tank. That way you can heal from the hurt of this, but not make a hasty decision while you are feeling badly. I would give yourself at least a month, then decide how you want to proceed.

I am So sorry to hear about your losses :(

But I agree with Vlangel, please take time and don't make a decision too hastily.

Your Tank is AMAZING (Corals)

• Like 1

Oh, that is just heartrending. I lost a goby recently due to painting in the room near it - even with windows open and fan on. Cannot imagine how you feel losing all of them. Hope you can find a reason - hang in there!

• Like 1
Markburns43

I noticed you drain the water all the way down exsposing corals, I'm sure you run carbon, but I was thinking maybe some elvated coral toxins? Just a thought since every one suggested everyhing else.

• Like 1

I noticed you drain the water all the way down exsposing corals, I'm sure you run carbon, but I was thinking maybe some elvated coral toxins? Just a thought since every one suggested everyhing else.

I also thought this when I saw that photo - my corals get really annoyed when I lower the water that much. (Which often happens with my water changes) However, I'd still expect coral toxins to have an effect on the corals themselves, and not just kill the fish.

This thread has got me pretty bummed right now.

• Like 3
Markburns43

Quote "also thought this when I saw that photo - my corals get really annoyed when I lower the water that much. (Which often happens with my water changes) However, I'd still expect coral toxins to have an effect on the corals themselves, and not just kill the fish.

This thread has got me pretty bummed right now"

Yeah that's what has me confused, ESPECIALLY if your always watching your tank and monitoring everything, the fact of not knowing is what has driven the human kind mad since beginning of time. Press forward, I have recently lost multiples at a tine, due too flukes, but this is totally different:/

• Like 2

What a bummer!!! I'm truly stumped. The reality is that most things that would harm a fish would also harm corals.

Some ideas that would only affect the fish for the most part:

1) Did you add any livestock in the last 1-4 days? It could have been a parasite or infection. Did you notice any symptoms at all prior to their passing?

2) Did you change foods, open a new food packet, etc? If it were just the food that was poisoned then it would affect the fish most and possibly wouldn't affect the other inhabitants depending on your style of feeding.

3) A sudden electrical shock. If it were strong and quick it could have affected the fish much more (not 100% sure on that, but thinking of issues that would be likely to affect fish and not corals or inverts.

4) Gas exchange is another possibility - but it's not usually a super fast killer... As I understand it you haven't made any big changes to the tank within the past few days. So if it were an issue the fish would be gasping at the surface, etc...

I'll see if I can think of anything else but it's quite perplexing.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Just catching up on threads...this is indeed heart breaking. If i makes you feel any better, things like this can and do happen (even to those with a lot of experience).

My first thought was O2 deprivasion due to an extended power outage, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Do you have any organisms that might have realeased toxic spawn? Sea Cucmbers and Sea Apples come to mind, but I'm sure there are others. Fish typically don't know the difference between toxic and non-toxic eggs and they can easily over dose while chowing down.

• Like 1

I just want to take some time out to say a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone on here who has been so supportive during this disaster. I always said this tank wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the people on this forum and can honestly say now that you guys are the reason this tank will continue.

I still haven't figured out the root cause of this issue but have come to the general conclusion that is was a water quality issue. I made the mistake of purchasing water from a different LFS than I normally do and think they had something in there that led to all of my problems.

It will be a good month or so until I start adding fish back into the tank. However I was able to work out a deal with my local LFS and they are going to help me restock the entire tank. I can't thank them enough!

Now... what to restock the tank with.... :D

• Like 5
Nano sapiens

You may have figured this out with the different water source. I just wonder what could have been in that last batch of LFS water to take out all the fish?

Looks like you have a good LFS that will take care of you with the restocking ('win-win'). :)

• Like 1

You may have figured this out with the different water source. I just wonder what could have been in that last batch of LFS water to take out all the fish?

Looks like you have a good LFS that will take care of you with the restocking ('win-win'). :)

The water was the only possible thing I could think of after testing every last possibility. Unfortunately whatever could have possibly been in the water isn't something I can test for. Who knows? Maybe they had been sprayed for bugs and whatever pesticide they used got in the water. Needless to say I will never get water from them again.

It still makes me sick losing all those fish but at least the corals are all fine. And yes I am beyond lucky to have such an amazing LFS near me. I'm also lucky to have such an amazing forum to come to for advice!

• Like 1

It's heart breaking to hear this! I'm so sorry :(
What's strange is how only the fish were affected. Usually if there's a water quality issue, the corals are the first to go.

• Like 3

It's heart breaking to hear this! I'm so sorry :(

What's strange is how only the fish were affected. Usually if there's a water quality issue, the corals are the first to go.

Yeah, which brings it back to oxygen. From what I've read, corals can get the oxygen they need from zooxanthellae photosynthesis. Fish are SOL, though.

• Like 1

So not sure why or how but when I dropped a small bit of food in today I noticed something near the bottom. The lone survivor :lol:.

....Also don't mind the gigantic bristle worm.

rUMr3Yq.jpg

• Like 10

Got a new phone which means I got a new camera :happy: . Just wanted to post a few updated shots. Can't wait to spend a bit more time playing with all the camera settings.

vu7wyrH.jpg

aUJjnyy.jpg

2Ee8d8D.jpg

jjLmAiL.jpg

• Like 7

damn that's a beautiful find. Maybe he's a serial killer... Jk

I'd like to say the yashas like ... Hey where's every on at?

You know that has to be it.... I mean look at that face in the picture. Guilty as hell if you tell me!

I think I have gotten everything balanced out though and plan on adding new fish relatively soon.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear of your major loss. I'm excited to see this tank bounce back though!

Thank you very much. I think the main problem was just plain ole bad luck. Just picked up water from the wrong place at the wrong time.

I have some nice new clowns sitting in QT right now to add very shortly. Still haven't decided what else I want to add. All the corals are doing great though so I can't complain too much!!!

Sorry to hear of your major loss. I'm excited to see this tank bounce back though!

It will! I just need to be patient and not try and overload everything at once. I still have the yasha, got two more clowns to add, will probably do another green mandarin or red ruby dragonette, and definitely another six line. That most likely will be it for fish as I am way to obsessed with corals at this point. Who knows though :D