Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How to set simulated location

edward1096

Hey everyone, I've been trying to change my simulated location but it doesn't seem as though the bluefish app allows you to change it to something else. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Looks like I was able to figure it out! I'm just wondering now do I have to use dynamic photoperiod in order to get real time weather changes on my light?

jedimasterben

Looks like I was able to figure it out! I'm just wondering now do I have to use dynamic photoperiod in order to get real time weather changes on my light?

No, you just need to have clouds/storms enabled :)

SpencerShepard

Yes, it's important to note that you have to set a city and not a region. ie. "Sydney, Australia" is valid, but "Australia" is not. Also if the weather station doesn't report consistently it will revert to the default. This could be the case with a really obscure location.

Clouds, Storms, Lunar Cycles, and Dynamic Sunrise/Sunset times are all individually selectable. If you want to use dynamic photoperiod, I would highly recommend you read that section in the manual so you understand how it works.

• 1 month later...

Yes, it's important to note that you have to set a city and not a region. ie. "Sydney, Australia" is valid, but "Australia" is not. Also if the weather station doesn't report consistently it will revert to the default. This could be the case with a really obscure location.

Clouds, Storms, Lunar Cycles, and Dynamic Sunrise/Sunset times are all individually selectable. If you want to use dynamic photoperiod, I would highly recommend you read that section in the manual so you understand how it works.

• Is there a reason the following isn't recommended? Thats what I have now on my Bluefish mini on the Biocube retrofit. Still trying to figure out the best lighting selections.
  • Option C: To use the sunrise and sunset times from your Simulated Location directly, enable Sunrise and Sunset (not recommended).
SpencerShepard

It's mostly just to try to reduce confusion. If you understand how it works then there are no issues.

It's mostly just to try to reduce confusion. If you understand how it works then there are no issues.

Ok, I see. I suppose it might be better for fish only tanks. But during winter or in certain locations that don't have long day lengths, coral growth could suffer.

• 4 weeks later...
charnelhouse

Spencer, the description of the dynamic settings doesn't do much to reduce confusion. It doesn't explain how it actually works. And labeling a setting as not recommended is generally reserved for something that will create performance issues, not user misunderstanding.

If you explain that the dynamic settings are matching photo period, not time per se, it would make more sense. i.e. "dynamic sunrise will match the length of daylight of your set location, subtracting from your "night" start time to override your "morning" start time. If you use both dynamic settings the exact sunrise and sunset times of your set location will be used."

That needs some polishing of course, but I'm on my phone and done typing :D

• 6 months later...

I keep setting it and it keeps resetting itself ot fiji - this is getting infuriating. I want it Durban South africa (got it back)

how do I get it to Stick?

not to mention that where the choice should be, keeps showing up as a big white outlined black box.

is there an option on the website to change it so I don't have to use a phone?

it reset itself and I changed it back again....

And Again.

SpencerShepard

Location reverting back to default means the location is invalid or has returned invalid weather data.

Go here: https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=durban+south+africa

It shows that the station is offline. Click "change station", and find a nearby weather station that looks active. Then search for the name of that station in the bluefish app. Try Durban/Virginia, South Africa.

Archived