Coral Vue Hydros

Rolyat's IM Fusion 10 New FTS 2.20.17

rolyat113

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any updates?

I've been meaning to take some photos and give an update. The tank kinda went to the sidelines for a bit. Lost a couple ricordea and my cleaner shrimp. I've been hitting hard with algae removal and more frequent water changes. Gonna head to reefstock in Denver in a couple weeks, so I'm really excited for that! Have an order coming in from KPaquatics with another red mythrax crab and some ricordea. Maybe I'll snap some photos once that's all acclimated.

Ok, so I'm not entirely sure what the issue is. Since I let the tank decline for a couple months, my zoas have receded by quite a bit. My leather, hammer, cyphastrea and a new torch are doing fine. My ricordea went downhill as well. I've tested the water and the parameters came up great. I just can't figure out why the zoas won't bounce back. The ricordea don't seem as fluffy or nice looking as they were before. Any ideas there?

I manually removed a bunch of GHA, and I'm hoping the rest on the rocks will recede. I used to have a massive dragons breath, but i got mad when it wouldn't stay put, and eventually took it out. I think that's why I had basically no pest algae earlier on. I bought another piece on eBay, but it ended up staying an extra night in our front office. Most of it died off except for the main stem, which is still nice and red. I'm hoping it will come back from that. Maybe I should just order more.

Any feedback on the corals would be great. No major changes recently, so I just can't figure it out. They were growing like crazy before! Makes me mad that I let it go for so long. Moral of the story. Don't skip out on water changes.

I've been sick the last few days, so no energy to pull out the DSLR. Here's a short iPhone video I took though. You can see how sad the zoas look. Especially the green ones higher on the rock on the left side. The hammer coral is a little less fluffy right now, while he gets used to the power head swap. I moved it to the other side so I'd get less of a dead area on the right side. The left side is a little more open, so I'm hoping that's no a trouble spot.

Make sure and change to 720p.

Phosphates or anything? Could it have been a shock to the system removing the gha? I removed a bunch of macro from Gerts, only left like 1/4 and deep red/purple cyano the following week for me. So you never know if removing something did it?

Phosphates or anything? Could it have been a shock to the system removing the gha? I removed a bunch of macro from Gerts, only left like 1/4 and deep red/purple cyano the following week for me. So you never know if removing something did it?

The trouble with the zoas and rics started before I removed the gha. I'm thinking maybe it was just the lack of water changes for a while. They look a little better since I've started taking better care of it. Maybe they'll eventually bounce back. I'm interested to see how the new rics from KPaquatics do. I'm also hoping the new mithrax crab will dine on my remaining gha. The last one did a good job on the small amounts that were in there.

As far as phosphates go, I'm not sure since I don't have a tester. Guess I should research the best kind and give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Tank is looking a lot better.  Added another RFA and placed my new torch on the top rock.  My zoas aren't growing much, but everything else seems to be good.  I glued one of my new rics to a shell I thought was too large for my hermits, but the next day it was gone.  Turns out it wasn't too big, and is now one of my hermits new home.  I have some time off this weekend.  Am going to break out the DSLR and take some photos.  

Alright, so I broke out the camera today and took a few photos.  The zoas are still not taking back off and the toadstool has been sad and closed for the last week.  Today after I did my water change, it finally opened back up though.  Picked up a new RFA last weekend, and it's doing great.  Still in the market for some new dragons breath.  I've purchased it twice lately and both pieces arrived basically dead and very smelly.  Maybe I'll try once more.  Here are a couple photos of how it's looking currently.

2.20.17%20side%20shot.jpg

2.20.17%20FTS.jpg

green%20rfa%202.20.17.jpg

16 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Great update! The hawkfish is a boss in the small tank.

He always comes forward when I approach the tank, it's pretty cool.  Can't wait to pick up some frags at reefstock this weekend.

Archived