ReefCleaners.org

Rolyat's IM Fusion 10 New FTS 2.20.17

rolyat113

Tailspot is slowly becoming more bold. While I'm on the couch he will now sit in the open among the zoas or on top of a rock watching me. Still retreats to his cave if I get up though. Just placed an order for an MP10, which I will probably not immediately install since nothing I have really needs it. I figure the tank is going to need a little more water movement though. I messaged a local guy who sells coral and fish requesting a pink streaked wrasse. Will probably take a couple weeks, so by then the tank should be good for fish #2. Everything is looking healthy and open. Sunday I plan on doing a good 2 gallon water change as well as attaching some coral to the rocks. I'm looking forward to getting the corals off the sandbed. March 26th there is a local "coralcon" I will attend. Maybe pick up a few frags there if I can get the day off. Work has been garbage lately. If anyone ever thinks "hey I think I'll go work for the post office" stop right there and don't.

This tank has been a major stress reliever. It's nice to come home and just watch it for a little while. Will be better once there is a little more life though.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like thing are really coming along.

Don't hesitate to install your wp-10. More water movement is a good thing. It helps cut down on potential algae and dyno outbreaks and your corals will love it. Mine have really started to grow after I bumped up my flow.

Sounds like thing are really coming along.

Don't hesitate to install your wp-10. More water movement is a good thing. It helps cut down on potential algae and dyno outbreaks and your corals will love it. Mine have really started to grow after I bumped up my flow.

I'll likely get really excited when it arrives and install it immediately. I went ahead and placed a couple corals. Not sure what I'll put way up top. Maybe the golden torch, but I don't think they like so much light.

*edit*

Placed a couple more. Everything is so pissed right now. Interested to see what things look like in the morning.

FTS%203.3.16%20adjusted.jpgFantastic FTS.

Input is appreciated. (need to take out that scraper)

I think you could go ahead and get a clean up crew at this point, and feed the tank some coral food once or twice a week. You're already feeding your fish, and the CUC will easily live off the leftovers from that. Plus the sooner they get in there and start pooping, the sooner you'll get the nutrients growing.

And then you can enjoy the inevitable algae bloom :)

I think you could go ahead and get a clean up crew at this point, and feed the tank some coral food once or twice a week. You're already feeding your fish, and the CUC will easily live off the leftovers from that. Plus the sooner they get in there and start pooping, the sooner you'll get the nutrients growing.

And then you can enjoy the inevitable algae bloom :)

Just placed my CUC order from reefcleaners (duh). I ordered reefroids nano and one nano from Polyplabs. They should arrive Saturday and I will start feeding then. Is it weird to be so excited about this tank? I've missed it so much since I had to take my last one down. I really wish I had all the coral from my NC12. Next time I go to Missouri I'll bring back that tank and maybe start it again. Even if just for a frag tank.

Finally broke out the DSLR and remembered how I couldn't get decent shots with the stock lens on my last tank. I began reading up on macro lenses, and discovered they are VERY expensive, even used. I looked into other options and discovered the Nikon D40 is able to mount just about any lens Nikon has ever made. I ended up at a local camera store and found a 55mm f/2.8 micro lens. It is manual focus and won't meter with my camera, but since the tank is standing quite still I decided to give it a shot for $125. Here are the results. Criticism is requested. I feel like this lens is capable of better than what I've done.

FTS%203.5.16%20photo%20mode.jpg

This is in photo mode with the blues turned way down

FTS%203.5.16%20Blues.jpg

This is with midday settings, with blues up. Adjusted the W/B a bit in fotor.

Side%20shot%203.5.16.jpg

Sideshot from my couch freehand

Zoa%201.jpg

My favorite zoas so far

GF%20first.jpg

And finally Grumpy Fish

Let me know what you guys think!

Any advice on what could go up top? I was thinking of placing the torch on the second highest rock. I'll probably keep this a softy/lps tank, except for some birds nest later on. No more coral is going in until the end of the month. We are having coralcon here in the springs on the 26th.

Took a few more photos today. I need to use the tripod more I believe.

Green%20zoa%203.6.16%20better.jpg

Zoa%20shot%203.6.16.jpg

Green%20acan%203.6.16.jpg

GF%20and%20zoas%203.6.16.jpg

Grumpy likes to hang out in front of that rock, and is getting more bold it seems.

Alright, so no new photos today. I got my cuc in as well as my mp10. Cuc arrived right on time because I'm getting what I believe are diatoms. Installed the mp10 and put it on reef crest mode, which seems to be what people are liking best. Set it to about 40%ish power. Flow seems to be good. Also moved my torch up onto the rock work, which i think is going to be better.

Going to Denver Friday with my sister. Can't wait to check out a couple of the lfs there! Might pick up a frag or two if I see anything I like.

Considering picking up one of Smitz tops. Having no gaps around the top seems like a great thing. Also, I ordered some dragons breath from a seller on eBay, and pods to seed the tank from keydiver here on the forums. Both of those should hopefully be here Saturday.

I don't know how to make the video thumbnail appear, but here is a short vid of my tank.

(shoot, it does it automatically, how about that)

Ha! Your tank reminds me of the first tank I had 3 yrs ago, my Evolve8. You can do a lot in little tanks. Even sps and maximas.. Enjoy your nano!!!

055_zps055f1104.jpg

052_zps019bb3ee.jpg

My tsb.

050_zpsb48ca462.jpg

My first rock flower from Saltcritters.

003_zps1dd60c42.jpg

Ha! Your tank reminds me of the first tank I had 3 yrs ago, my Evolve8. You can do a lot in little tanks. Even sps and maximas.. Enjoy your nano!!!

Thanks for the response! Yes, they look quite similar! I'm very excited to add a few more things to this tank and watching it grow out more. Eventually when I can buy a house, I'll be adding or upgrading to an IM 25 Lagoon (or similar) tank.

You don't have to feel limited in a small tank. A pic w/ the gsp and taking pics up close or different angles can show the background pretty too.. I have 2 other tanks now but I still miss the littlest one. And I miss my tsb.

005_zpse9107280.jpg

044_zps98f872b4.jpg

You don't have to feel limited in a small tank. A pic w/ the gsp and taking pics up close or different angles can show the background pretty too.. I have 2 other tanks now but I still miss the littlest one. And I miss my tsb.

005_zpse9107280.jpg

044_zps98f872b4.jpg

Get another TSB! I'm going to add GSP but I can't decide where to place it yet. I won't put it on the rocks again since it grows like crazy. Maybe on the back wall... We shall see! I really like nano tanks because I feel like you can see more life. You can add tiny things like sexy shrimp and pom pom crabs, and sometimes actually see them.

gavinsepanik

Sweet tank! Love the little TSB. It definitely would've been my first choice, that or a pink streaked wrasse if i hadn't gotten a killer deal on my pair of snowflakes for 20$ :P

Sweet tank! Love the little TSB. It definitely would've been my first choice, that or a pink streaked wrasse if i hadn't gotten a killer deal on my pair of snowflakes for 20$ :P

That is indeed a killer deal. I love snowflakes, and plan to get a pair in another month or two. That or a snowflake and a black clown like I had in my last tank.

It's like you have a magnifying glass to the cut out of an edge of a reef. I missed that when I went larger. I'll get another tsb at some point.

It's like you have a magnifying glass to the cut out of an edge of a reef. I missed that when I went larger. I'll get another tsb at some point.

Exactly. I love seeing large tanks for sure, but it's just not the same because I feel like they don't have as much detail. They go for big colorful fish and coral, which are cool, but not as cool as having all of the intricacies that exist in a real reef.

Great looking tank! You take great photos too :).

Any advice on what could go up top? I was thinking of placing the torch on the second highest rock. I'll probably keep this a softy/lps tank, except for some birds nest later on. No more coral is going in until the end of the month. We are having coralcon here in the springs on the 26th.

If it were me, I'd put the torch on the top rock. When it grows out I think it would look cool to have the tentacles flowing around in all that space up there. They need a lot of space anyways...give it lots of freedom up there :).

Then I'd fill that middle rock with acans. Lots of fluffy puffy acans LOL.

Looking forward to following along and seeing what you do. It's a sharp looking tank :).

Great looking tank! You take great photos too :).

If it were me, I'd put the torch on the top rock. When it grows out I think it would look cool to have the tentacles flowing around in all that space up there. They need a lot of space anyways...give it lots of freedom up there :).

Then I'd fill that middle rock with acans. Lots of fluffy puffy acans LOL.

Looking forward to following along and seeing what you do. It's a sharp looking tank :).

I like that suggestion a lot! I moved the torch to the top rock. It's supposed to be a golden torch, which are rare? Maybe the colors will show better being closer to the light. I need to buy some more super glue... Then I'll move the acan to the middle rock.

Went to Denver yesterday and picked up three ricrodia frags, a frog spawn, and a cleaner shrimp. The shrimp looks to be carrying a lot of eggs. Looks like my tank will soon have some free food!

I also received my pods from Keydiver, which have slowly been poured into the tank to hopefully seed it. Lastly, the dragon's breath I ordered off of ebay arrived. It's been placed temporarily until I can decide where it needs to go. Gonna let things sit for a week or so before I move them around again. I'll get some pictures maybe tomorrow when I do my water change. Going to up my water changes to two gallons I think, instead of just one.

FTS%20Close%203.13.16.jpg

FTS 3.13.16 Taken after my water change.

Sadly the shrimp died the yesterday. Only a day after I got him... I'm thinking he may have had an issue from the LFS. Everything else in my tank is open and happy. Grumpy fish is everywhere nipping at the rock and sand. Hermits are crawling all over munching on algae etc... Let me know if you guys can think of anything else. The shrimp had a load of eggs so I don't know if they are weaken while that's happening maybe? I doubt it.

FTS%203.13.16.jpg

Took this photo of the entire setup. The photos taken in photo mode turned out terrible. I think it is because the white balance on the camera was still set to handle the blues. With some more experimenting I think I'll be able to take better photos. The camera really does a pretty good job when the blues are up fairly high if I adjust the WB accordingly. Camera battery is dead, so I'll experiment later with shots of the entire tank. I'd like to post one worthy enough for Dave to post.

Archived