Pod Your Reef

Rolyat's IM Fusion 10 New FTS 2.20.17

rolyat113

Alright, so a lot has changed since I last posted here. I decided to move from Ozark Missouri, so Colorado Springs. I broke down the nanocube and sold all the livestock. After finding a job here and getting kinda settled, I decided to start another tank. Since the nanocube is in my parents attic around 900 miles away I decided to buy a new tank. The owner of a lfs advised he had an IM Fusion 10 in his warehouse and said they were quite nice. I went home and researched them and found all these awesome threads and went back asap and purchased the version with no light. Having previous experience with nanoboxreef I already knew which way to go on that front.

I picked up some wet rock from a reefer here along with new sand and some water, and got the tank wet on 2/16/16.
Photos to come.

2.20.17%20FTS.jpg

FTS 2.20.17

Tank: IM Fusion 10
Filtration: Filter floss, chemi-pure and purigen
Lighting: Nanobox Tide

Heater: Eheim 50watt

Circulation: MP10

ATO: AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro

Skimmer: None yet, possibly IM's nano skimmer

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reefernanoman

Alright, so a lot has changed since I last posted here. I decided to move from Ozark Missouri, so Colorado Springs. I broke down the nanocube and sold all the livestock. After finding a job here and getting kinda settled, I decided to start another tank. Since the nanocube is in my parents attic around 900 miles away I decided to buy a new tank. The owner of a lfs advised he had an IM Fusion 10 in his warehouse and said they were quite nice. I went home and researched them and found all these awesome threads and went back asap and purchased the version with no light. Having previous experience with nanoboxreef I already knew which way to go on that front.

I picked up some wet rock from a reefer here along with new sand and some water and got the tank wet on 2/16/16.

Photos to come.

Yup, the Fusion 10g is nice little tank indeed. I bought one of the very first ones back in like Sept 2014 when they pretty much Unicorns. Congrats and looking forward to your pics.

Alright, so a little more update. Received a thermometer as well as an intank filter rack in the mail today. Still waiting on shipping confirmation from nanobox. Can't wait to get that attached and try out the bluefish!! Hopefully it arrives before reefstock this weekend. Now for some photos of the setup.

IMG_2511.jpg

I may regret not using a cabinet, but I couldn't find one and don't have a way to build one at this time.

IMG_2514.jpg

First scape. I liked it but didn't feel it gave enough opportunity for mounting coral, and didn't use enough rock.

IMG_2516.jpg

Got er wet!

IMG_2520.jpg

Found a LFS right down from my apartment that seems pretty good. Got a few more pieces of rock. I like this scape a lot better than the first.

I plan on having a lot of movement in this tank. (This will probably change) Hopefully a frogspawn, hammer and a torch. I really like the green monti in Tinyreef's Fusion. I'll have to con a piece off of him or someone.

Had the water tested at the LFS and it tested zero to very low on ammonia, zero nitrites and very low nitrates. The tank was started on 2/16/16 with live rock from another tank, as well as some new rock, water, and sand. I've just been ghost feeding fish food. Either the cycle was very quick or is just beginning. No algae as of yet, but I also don't have a light yet.

Feedback is always appreciated!

Looks like a great start.

The cycle may have been relatively quick, depending on how much live rock you used and how much of the bacteria transfered over. You should be monitoring daily to see an ammonia spike, then a nitrite spike, then a nitrates. Once you see good nitrate levels 10-20 ppm, do a good 25% water change and introduce your clean up crew. Add livestock slowly from there, if you want to see what happens when you go too fast, check out my thread. :(

Looks like a great start.

The cycle may have been relatively quick, depending on how much live rock you used and how much of the bacteria transfered over. You should be monitoring daily to see an ammonia spike, then a nitrite spike, then a nitrates. Once you see good nitrate levels 10-20 ppm, do a good 25% water change and introduce your clean up crew. Add livestock slowly from there, if you want to see what happens when you go too fast, check out my thread. :(

My test kit is supposed to come in tomorrow so I'll then be able to check params myself. I have experience from one other SW tank, so I won't rush this one lol. Not too much...

I just now noticed my heater is allowing the tank to fluctuate quite a bit. It'll go up to 79.2 and now it's down to 77... wtf mate? Maybe I should switch to the cobalt.

davidanthony921

The cobalt is awesome. No fluctuation whatsoever unless you don't have an ato out aren't keeping up with manual top off. I noticed when I was typing off manually even with the cobalt I got some fluctuation for sure. If my cobalt I'd even half way dry there's a temp drop since I keep my house around 71.

It may not help that my thermostat is set at 65 and my apartment generally stays around 69.. I'll keep an eye on it. If it sways too much I'll upgrade.

No new photos. Tested the parameters on the water today and they all showed zero. I have continued to ghost feed, so I'm thinking the cycle is finished.

Added three small hermits today to cleanup some of the pellets laying around. Also did a small water change. My nanobox arrives tomorrow and I am quite excited. I'll break out the actual camera and do a "good" FTS as soon as it's all set up.

It's crazy how fast this tank is evaporating! I went ahead and ordered an ATO. That will be installed probably the beginning of next week.

IMG_2532.jpg

Look what came in the mail!

IMG_2536.jpg

I'll have to figure out how to edit tank photos again since the light is SOOOO blue. May need to tweek the color settings, but I have nothing to compare colors of since all I have are rocks and tiny hermits.

Tonight might be the night for fish #1. I'm thinking tailspot blenny. One of my LFS has one in stock currently.

IMG_2544_Fotor.jpg

Look who we found! Adjusted some of the blue out of photo mode and it works even better now. Still need to break out the DSLR. He sat here adjusting to his surroundings for several minutes, then found a cave.

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

This tank is so cool, even being bare. I was worried about my blenny this morning because he was just frozen in his little cave. When I got home just now he was swimming around, so I feel better. Went right back to his cave as soon as he spotted me. Going to top off and try feeding him in a little bit. LFS sold me some frozen food, so I'll try that if he doesn't take the pellets. Reefstock is tomorrow. Can't wait to add some more color to this tank. It's unfortunate overtime season is in the past (post office). Not as much coral money coming in.

It looks great! The tailspot is so cute, they are my favorites :)

Have you tried setting up photo mode in the bluefish controller? I set mine to run whites and blues at an equal ratio for pictures and they turn out a lot better that way.

It looks great! The tailspot is so cute, they are my favorites :)

Have you tried setting up photo mode in the bluefish controller? I set mine to run whites and blues at an equal ratio for pictures and they turn out a lot better that way.

He's so cool! Trying to decide what to get next now.

I did adjust photo mode. Gotta get out the tripod and test it with the DSLR now.

FTS%202.29.16.jpg

FTS 2/29/16 Taken with iPhone. Still need to break out the camera/tripod.

Went to Reefstock in Denver on 2/28/16. Picked up several frags and a rock flower anemone. Maybe went a little overboard, but everything is open and looking happy. The colors aren't quite as wonderful as they were at the show, but that could be attributed to their lighting.

Current light settings with Bluefish (Will probably change)

Royal blue: 60%

White: 40%

Violet: 50%

Cyan/Blue: 60%

Grumpy fish (tail spot blenny) is becoming slightly more bold. He still retreats to his cave when I come near. I fed him some frozen brine shrimp today. Also fed the RFA, which accepted the shrimp immediately.

I received an AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro in the mail today. I think it'll work ok, except the anti-siphon deal leaks which makes it difficult for the tiny pump to keep pressure in the line when it is filling. How terrible would it be for this to be removed?

FTS%202.29.16.jpg

FTS 2/29/16 Taken with iPhone. Still need to break out the camera/tripod.

Went to Reefstock in Denver on 2/28/16. Picked up several frags and a rock flower anemone. Maybe went a little overboard, but everything is open and looking happy. The colors aren't quite as wonderful as they were at the show, but that could be attributed to their lighting.

Current light settings with Bluefish (Will probably change)

Royal blue: 60%

White: 40%

Violet: 50%

Cyan/Blue: 60%

Grumpy fish (tail spot blenny) is becoming slightly more bold. He still retreats to his cave when I come near. I fed him some frozen brine shrimp today. Also fed the RFA, which accepted the shrimp immediately.

I received an AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro in the mail today. I think it'll work ok, except the anti-siphon deal leaks which makes it difficult for the tiny pump to keep pressure in the line when it is filling. How terrible would it be for this to be removed?

My ATO anti-siphon also leaked. I wound up removing it with no ill effects.

Just make sure to have the outlet tube above water so you can't start a syphon.

Also your tank's looking awesome!

I do not use the check valve either.

As for the corals looking different, remember every vendor there only blasts blue. :)

-Dave

So the tank has been cycled for a couple weeks, but I haven't seen any algae blooms... I was going to get a CUC but I'm afraid they'll just starve. Any ideas?

You could always feed them algae wafers or such for the interim. Then once you've built up enough natural food for them cut back.

Just an idea.

Nice rock work

Your tank is extremely new imo...you seem to be stocking a little too quickly..just my opinion tho

Nice rock work

Your tank is extremely new imo...you seem to be stocking a little too quickly..just my opinion tho

I maybe stocked too soon, but I've only added a fish. The coral provides no bioload to speak of. I've been testing frequently and everything seems to be in check. I'm gonna give it some time to settle either way. Out of fish money for now lol.

Archived