Coral Vue Hydros

The Don's Mr. Aqua 22L w/ OceanBox!

thedon986

• 2 months later...

Sorry for lapse in updates. I will try to take some new pictures this weekend. Have been busy between work and planning my wedding in September. Back and forth between Florida a lot lately.

Overall the tank looks good. I had a real rough patch with some cyano that took a long time to beat. I am still using the Aquamaxx HOB and I think that and 2x weekly water changes was what really helped beat the cyano. After the cyano I had some nasty white slime bacteria that rushed in to fill it's place, but that is retreating and nearly gone now.

With all the instability I have lost a few fish which has been frustrating. First I lost the baby male clown. He was very small and I wasn't really surprised I lost him. Then I lost my tailspot who had been with me for a long time. That was the hardest as he had the most personality I thought. Now there is just the female clown (almost 2 yrs old now) and the goby & shrimp pair. Thanks to the pistol shrimp, my caulerpa has been slowly disappearing as he digs it up and drags it into his lair and I have lost a lot of sand due to the cyano battle.

No changes to equipment. I am very happy with what I have, unless a Nanobox Hybrid falls in my lap. fingerscrossed Pics to come soon.

• Like 1

Took a new FTS today. Tank still looks very similar and growing well overall. Have some stubborn corals and others who grow like weeds.

07242016_FTS.jpg

• Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...

Love your tank! Last spring I lurked here and found your post when I was making plans for a nano/frag tank for my middle school classroom. I now have basically the same setup and am about to install the oceanbox. Although I purchased it to install across the short end I think I am going to put it across the back like yours. I don't love the black box back there but if I put it across the short side I think I would really miss the super long landscape look and it would be easier for light placement and skimmer access. Two questions:

1) Re: tiny return pump section. I ziptied my return pump and a short flexible tube onto the rigid return pipe. Once I silicone the box in, I just have to work in the tiny space to do pump removal? Is there some little trick I don't know about like adding a tiny union onto the return pipe?

2) Where did you place your Tunze sensor and water input?

Thanks in advance.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Love your tank! Last spring I lurked here and found your post when I was making plans for a nano/frag tank for my middle school classroom. I now have basically the same setup and am about to install the oceanbox. Although I purchased it to install across the short end I think I am going to put it across the back like yours. I don't love the black box back there but if I put it across the short side I think I would really miss the super long landscape look and it would be easier for light placement and skimmer access. Two questions:

1) Re: tiny return pump section. I ziptied my return pump and a short flexible tube onto the rigid return pipe. Once I silicone the box in, I just have to work in the tiny space to do pump removal? Is there some little trick I don't know about like adding a tiny union onto the return pipe?

2) Where did you place your Tunze sensor and water input?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the late reply, these past two months have been very busy for me.

1) Yep, I just work in the small space. I have to disconnect the Y return on the front of the box and then the return pump & tubing slides up and out.

2). The tunze sensor and ATO output are in the return pump chamber, it fits, but I have to move that to remove the return pump.

any updates? im about to pull the trigger on a similar setup

No real updates, still love the setup,l it's just kind of on cruise control right now. I just came back from a 2 week vacation and only have some cyano on the sand so pleased about that. Had a neighbor feed the tank and empty the skimmer cup. I would only go longer if I had the room. The length of these tanks is great and the best feature IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

I've recently added a Picasso clown in what seems like a never ending effort to find a mate for my female clown. Hopefully this one sticks. Also added two Bangai Cardinals. May add a Tailspot Blenny before I call it fully stocked.

It's been a while since I've posted new pics, so here's a bit of a dump. Lights are overly blue as it's evening time on the reef.

DSC_0097.jpg

My BOP has been losing color which I need to do some more research on. Still my fastest growing coral but losing color in some spots.

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Overdue update:

Added a Tailspot Blenny recently and also a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. My BTA has outgrown its original rock that it was on when I got it and has moved to the backside of my left island. <_< One of the branches of BOP birdsnest had what looks like dinoflagellates on it. :angry: At least that would explain why it has been on a downward trend with a lack of PE and color, it is still growing though and putting out new branches. It would also explain the '"diatoms" I thought I had on my sand that have never quite gone away. I have been doing a ton of water changes over the past few months. So far they seem somewhat contained so that is good thing. Have also been dosing NOPOX and Vibrant so I will keep an eye on things and see what happens. Have started using Kalkwasser in my ATO so I can focus on other things besides dosing (two part at least). So far so good there, Alk and PH have been steady. I am also hoping that the more stable params also helps with the coraline algae growth (of lack there of) in this tank.

FTS_12252016.jpg

These pineapple sponges are growing all over

Pineapple%20sponge.jpg

New Darth Maul Porites

Darth%20Maul.jpg

New Frogskin Acro

Frogskin.jpg

Right%20Island.jpg

Middle%20Island.jpg

Left%20Corner.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Small Update: The dinos/whatever they are seem to be in check and possibly receeding. I haven't done a water change in a few weeks and that coupled with Vibrant and NOPOX seem to be helping. Other algae is still nil so that is good to see when backing off maintenance.

Still dosing kalk via ATO, 1tsp per gallon and Alk and Ca are solid.

All corals except my bird of paradise and my rock flower that I have had for over a year are doing well. I don't know what is up with the RFA but it has not been happy for a few months. Since before I started tinkering with Vibrant and NOPOX. It shows no sign of dying but will not fully open. My porcelain crab used to hang out in it but it has chosen my RBTA (which looks healthy as ever) for good and I never see him near the RFA. Maybe that has something to do with it? Depression from the divorce?? :blink:

Some pics:

32100697681_9a7f4eab3a_b.jpgFTS_01082017 by Donald M., on Flickr

Angry RFA in the background. Any thoughts?

31843725790_4026d2c2f4_b.jpgFrogskin_01082017 by Donald M., on Flickr

Colorless BOP, still shades of color near the base and more shaded areas. PE isn't too bad but not as fluffy as before.

31843723640_00b65605b0_b.jpgSad bird_01082017 by Donald M., on Flickr

With the NOPOX dosing, the green cap has really changed colors. The base has darkened while the polyps are still bright and green. It looks more like when I bought the tiny frag years ago.

31843724790_5c757c7f4e_b.jpgMiddle_01082017 by Donald M., on Flickr

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
8 hours ago, Justanotherfishguy said:

Wow 🤤 Awesome  tank.   Do you have any pics of it recently.  
and what do you use for a heater 

what return pump do you use to fit in the ocean box??

@thedon986

Hey, no unfortunately I took down the tank in the summer of 2017 for a cross country move. I was using an Eheim Compact 1000 in the return and a Neo-Therm 75w heater. Both worked great. 

• Thanks 1