Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bad News. Let me know what you think

johnmaloney

Unfortunately, shipping rates have increased considerably. Volume discounts were removed, and the rates went up. Which is odd, because they went up last time because gas prices increased. Now they are going up despite gas being 50% of what it was when they made their last large increase. So let me break the bad news:

To stay where we were last year, we would need to raise Express Mail to $35. $7, which represents a 25% increase.

Priority Mail would have to increase to $10.50 A $1 increase.

The only other option is to take a larger loss on shipping, and make it up with increased prices for items. It looks like we have to do that with heavier shippers, to keep the price changes reflected above. Anyway, let me know what you think.

I have been listening to the blues in the mean time.

You need to do what you need to do John. You have always done what you could to keep things as affordable as possible. If the rates go up for you they go up for all. IMO, raise the rates for shipping and keep your product prices in line.

Best of luck.

--Richie

You need to do what you need to do John. You have always done what you could to keep things as affordable as possible. If the rates go up for you they go up for all. IMO, raise the rates for shipping and keep your product prices in line.

Best of luck.

--Richie

Thank you for your input. This is encouraging from someone in needofreefunds since 2007. :)

You get what you pay for.. Shipping costs are part of the deal.

I have two pet peeves in aquarium stuff shipping.

1. Paying for shipping and recieving lower grade shipping if i pay for overnight/nextday it better come next day not priorty post in 2. or three days.

2. And, in trade like ebay dont charge me 30 bucks shipping for a good you know you are gonna send 4.95 express mail.

Other than that i appreciate being able to buy local where in state rates apply and you get charged less..

Raise the shipping rates.

It's easier than repricing inventory, they are realistic and don't look that high. Heck $35 bucks for "Next Day" look at the actual cost with UPS.

'07 woot

You get what you pay for.. Shipping costs are part of the deal.

I have two pet peeves in aquarium stuff shipping.

1. Paying for shipping and recieving lower grade shipping if i pay for overnight/nextday it better come next day not priorty post in 2. or three days.

2. And, in trade like ebay dont charge me 30 bucks shipping for a good you know you are gonna send 4.95 express mail.

Other than that i appreciate being able to buy local where in state rates apply and you get charged less..

Thank you for the tips, I appreciate the candor.

'08 bitchez

+1 modify shipping rates. When in doubt go with the most volatile pricing component IMO.

lol

"Volatile Pricing Component" - I should have gone to business school.

John, you're the only guy I know that would ask everybody what they think before raising shipping rates even though it's not your fault to begin with :)

Raise the rates, I don't think the new rates are unreasonable anyway. I appreciate the great service and products you offer.

Raise the shipping, the new rates won't prevent me from ordering. Your stuff is still very well priced.

You ever thought about making hermit crabs available priority? I swear I always get a few hitchhiker hermit crabs in my snail lot and they are always healthy and kicking. I also get them from KPA priority now and again and they do well. That's the one change I would love to see.

John, you're the only guy I know that would ask everybody what they think before raising shipping rates even though it's not your fault to begin with :)

Raise the rates, I don't think the new rates are unreasonable anyway. I appreciate the great service and products you offer.

Thank you!

Raise the shipping, the new rates won't prevent me from ordering. Your stuff is still very well priced.

You ever thought about making hermit crabs available priority? I swear I always get a few hitchhiker hermit crabs in my snail lot and they are always healthy and kicking. I also get them from KPA priority now and again and they do well. That's the one change I would love to see.

I think that is the consensus, shipping it is.

Well heck, I'll be the first to pay the new shipping prices and still feel like I'm getting a steal! Just ordered, thank you John for still being around! :D
I miss the dried foods though, sorry I had to say it! I love the smell of John's fish food in the morning

btw, do you have any threads showing your business' behind the scenes? I'm just curious how it all comes together!

I'm with all the others. Raise shipping rates. I think the fact that you're concerned about this shows how conscientious you are and that is absolutely refreshing. I'm also with Steve above: it's still one heck of a deal even with the raised shipping :)

Raise shipping. I to am going to look at my larger package rates. Things has been on the raise quickly. International is even worst now.

-Dave

With reduction in gas, this year didn't seem like a good candidate for such a high change.

chipmunkofdoom2

Definitely raise shipping costs.

The issue with repricing your inventory is first, that you need to reprice your inventory. Second, the more of the shipping cost you build into the product, the more you're out in the event you need to issue a refund. I know this occurs everywhere to some extent, but you're a small business owner, not a monolith like Amazon.com who can afford to eat such losses.

I'd just be straight forward and transparent with your customers (which is what this thread has done!) and I'm sure they'll understand.

It has been done. :( If anyone asks, I will tell them you guys forced me to do it. :)

This is common place across all industries - we just crossed this same path. You're doing the right thing. It's not always fun, but your end-users will get it.

jedimaster1138

Raising the shipping rates is the only sensible move. It's not your fault, John. My wife's small business is getting murdered with the same annoyance. She gets a ton of orders from overseas too...don't get me started on the international rates that seem to creep up all the time. barf.

We will still love you and order from you :)

John 30 nassarius from my LFS is $90. 30 from you is $15. Double shipping... Triple it and it still is significantly cheaper.

Of course my first ReefCleaners CUC order comes tomorrow, that's exciting :$

Edit: I'm also lucky since I'm $6 Florida shipping

LeCharlesMuhDickens

Not your fault at all man, I know how shipping goes, I've got spa business of my own. If you think rates on overnight livestock are bad, try shipping furniture and barn doors. Shipping is part of the process and it simply costs what it costs, most reasonable customers understand this and don't hold the shop responsible for the cost to move the product from A to B. Depending on the item, I will sometimes pad the shipping into the price a bit. People seem to be more ok with paying $2000 for a set of doors and tracks with $99 shipping than to pay $1600 + actual shipping cost, which if it's freight, can easily exceed $500. I supposed to feels like you're getting more product or something as opposed to 1/4 of the cost being in shipping.

$35 overnight seems pretty standard for livestock and such though, I wouldn't worry about it.

John 30 nassarius from my LFS is $90. 30 from you is $15. Double shipping... Triple it and it still is significantly cheaper.

Of course my first ReefCleaners CUC order comes tomorrow, that's exciting :$

Edit: I'm also lucky since I'm $6 Florida shipping

75 degrees outside, and $6 shipping. Why hasn't the rest of the country moved here yet? I don't get it. :)

Not your fault at all man, I know how shipping goes, I've got spa business of my own. If you think rates on overnight livestock are bad, try shipping furniture and barn doors. Shipping is part of the process and it simply costs what it costs, most reasonable customers understand this and don't hold the shop responsible for the cost to move the product from A to B. Depending on the item, I will sometimes pad the shipping into the price a bit. People seem to be more ok with paying $2000 for a set of doors and tracks with $99 shipping than to pay $1600 + actual shipping cost, which if it's freight, can easily exceed $500. I supposed to feels like you're getting more product or something as opposed to 1/4 of the cost being in shipping.

$35 overnight seems pretty standard for livestock and such though, I wouldn't worry about it.

I am one of those people. I am very sensitive about shipping costs. Happy I don't deal with freight charges often though. Those prices can really swing. I have a horror story about it. Ended up paying close to $5000, to ship $1200 in rock once. :blink: "Honey, we are cancelling our vacation". B)

Archived