Pod Your Reef

Gorilla glue for dry rock and scaping?

L.bacchus88

I'm in the process of setting up a biocube 29 and I'm wondering about scaping. I want to make sure there are nice spaces for fish to swim through etc so I may want to stack some of the rock- can I use gorilla glue to stick the rocks together/ on top of each other or does anyone else have a better suggestion? Thanks

I don't believe Gorilla glue is reef safe.

To attach rocks together I use a combination of super glue gel and underwater epoxy putty and LR rubble.

You basically want to make an epoxy sandwich. Thick layer of superglue gel on rock A, then a hunk of epoxy, then another layer of superglue gel, then squish rock B down. Use LR rubble for support where possible if you need to use a ton of epoxy. Also when you've set everything in place take a piece of rubble and texture the epoxy so it looks like rock - Otherwise you'll have fingerprint textures which stand out sometimes.

7160234_jbw_8277_pri_larg.jpg

The gorilla glue brand of super glue gel will work on a smaller scale scapes, but the larger rocks will need something a little more .

I use this for coral , and occasionally for small rocks

gorilla_glue_7600105_gorilla_super_glue_

Wow that pic is HUGE :lol:

That looks perfect, except I'm poor now. Hahaha do you guys think the super glue gel/epoxy mix is good enough to mount a piece of rock to the back panel of the tank?

Gorilla glue is reef safe. It's just not the best alternative. The sandwich method works the best.

The background wall of this tank was built using normal Gorilla Glue.

8-8-08090.jpg

Gorilla glue is reef safe. It's just not the best alternative. The sandwich method works the best.

The background wall of this tank was built using normal Gorilla Glue.

Fo realz? I swear this came up a while back and the OP got an email response from the mfgr stating that it was not safe for aquarium use. It could be that it was a standard response to avoid potential liability, however it made sense to me. I'd have real trouble putting that stuff in my tank.

You're right though the superglue/epoxy method works great. Here's something I did with about 3 quarter size balls of epoxy, some rubble, and a bunch of super glue - that branch is glued to the one rock right below it.

1224152345_zpsxjc17mm9.jpg

Fo realz? I swear this came up a while back and the OP got an email response from the mfgr stating that it was not safe for aquarium use. It could be that it was a standard response to avoid potential liability, however it made sense to me. I'd have real trouble putting that stuff in my tank.

You're right though the superglue/epoxy method works great. Here's something I did with about 3 quarter size balls of epoxy, some rubble, and a bunch of super glue - that branch is glued to the one rock right below it.

The stuff does start to break down and lose it's bond after about 6 months. But that was a mantis tank and he didn't seem to suffer any negative effects. Again, not the best option... but doable.

The stuff does start to break down and lose it's bond after about 6 months. But that was a mantis tank and he didn't seem to suffer any negative effects. Again, not the best option... but doable.

Cool thanks for the follow up.

Archived