Coral Vue Hydros

Natalia’s reefbowl: 8 years old!

natalia_la_loca

natalia_la_loca

I forgot to mention the Opae’ula brackish shrimpbowl. It’s still thriving. The first generation of babies is now as big as their parents and there are several new batches. Still no feeding or water changes whatsoever. Opae’ula are incredible.

25400000908_5841b012d6_b.jpg

Hitching a ride on the horned nerite

25399995238_7b8a070bb0_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 2

This makes me wish i stuck to the bowl as opposed to my jar haha, i love how this looks! ( my heater i bought was too large to stick in the bowl, so i got a jar) 

Everything looks so healthy! Great work! 

• Thanks 1

you grew food in that bowl which isn't unsightly

it does not look like an ats screen, that'd be not as nice.

how did you select for the macro like algae base system.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
natalia_la_loca

@brandon429 I didn’t select the algae, it grew by itself :) the shrimp are starting to tidy it up a little as their numbers grow.  Here’s a current shot.

38756345245_82c7c8a0b4_b.jpg

January reefbowl update: all is well generally. However, the base of the tricolor valida has RTN’d for reasons unknown. Not enough light maybe?  The rest of the valida has good polyp extension and the necrosis doesn’t seem to be spreading, so I’m hopeful. This is the reefbowl today, just before the weekly feeding.

38756239425_3c08ff4ab2_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
28 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

@brandon429 I didn’t select the algae, it grew by itself :) the shrimp are starting to tidy it up a little as their numbers grow.  Here’s a current shot.

January reefbowl update: all is well generally. However, the base of the tricolor valida has RTN’d for reasons unknown. Not enough light maybe?  The rest of the valida has good polyp extension and the necrosis doesn’t seem to be spreading, so I’m hopeful. This is the reefbowl today, just before the weekly feeding.

That reefbowl still = WOW!

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Same thing just happened to my pink and green digi at the base, i think i had my light too high. Gonna crazy glue the rtn spots to stop em from spreading

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

The zoas have been very happy lately. The searchlights and morphed melons from @teenyreef are looking fantastic!!! The utter chaos and blondies from @Lawnman are also doing really well.  Here you can see where I have to glue around the red planet to keep it from invading its surroundings. It’s not pretty, but those blondies would be in very bad shape if not for that glue!

25911064518_7f6d807622_b.jpg

• Like 5
1 minute ago, natalia_la_loca said:

I can’t get over the awesomeness of opae’ula. Such amazing creatures and so low maintenance!

i know right, these little things just seem to do their own thing and go on and on and on lol.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Laika said:

i know right, these little things just seem to do their own thing and go on and on and on lol.

What do you have their salinity at?  What do you feed them?

I'm really happy to see the searchlight zoas are doing well! They always seem very reluctant to multiply unless they're in just the right conditions.

The bowl looks beautiful! :wub:

• Thanks 1
natalia_la_loca

Yup, I’m really glad about them too. A while back I was worried I’d lose them. Hopefully their current exuberance will be followed by an increase in numbers. There’s still a bit more room on that rock :P

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

February update: I took an 8-day trip overseas last week. To be safe, I asked a family member to do an 8-ounce water change and RODI topoff every 2-3 days. It went well! These pics are from the day after I got back. 

40026434872_ebdac736fd_b.jpg25186785157_5b4fb3ddd4_b.jpg39160481795_7906ca8342_b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 3
18 minutes ago, TheRope said:

Jeez awesome family members haha! I dont think any of mine would understand that in the slightest XD

Same. No one in my family even knows what a coral is still, they just call them flowers... I tried to tell my mom that they’re technically animals and she was like whatever they look like sea flowers to me :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
natalia_la_loca

Ha, my fam doesn’t know much about corals either. It helps that the maintenance is very simple and infrequent. Also, no feeding or dosing to mess up!!!

• natalia_la_loca changed the title to Natalia’s reefbowl: 8 years old!