Innovative Marine Aquariums

Natalia's Reefbowlocalypse: all good

natalia_la_loca

HA! You know, I also gave extremely serious thought to getting a brand new Nanobox Tide for this bowl. I was just starting to compose an email to Dave when the angel on my right shoulder smacked me upside the head and screamed "CONTROL YOURSELF FOR F***S SAKE"

Took the words right out of my mouth :lol:

:lol: I like the devil on your left shoulder personally ;)

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

:lol: I like the devil on your left shoulder personally ;)

I have a soft spot for her too. She was all like, "but...but...you need a nanobox! Because nanobox!"

• Like 3

I have a soft spot for her too. She was all like, "but...but...you need a nanobox! Because tanks!"

HA! And because Nanobox! that lighting, those colors... you NEED it :P

Love the new thread title.

• Like 1

FYI, if you are looking to use an actual oring you could try McMaster Carr. They sell a wide variety. Probably not as cheap as a DIY sealing solution, but possibly more effective depending on your configuration. Great looking setup so far, I'm also patiently waiting for my cylinder to cycle. Here is a link to the oring section of their website

http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=11g6x4m

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

FYI, if you are looking to use an actual oring you could try McMaster Carr. They sell a wide variety. Probably not as cheap as a DIY sealing solution, but possibly more effective depending on your configuration. Great looking setup so far, I'm also patiently waiting for my cylinder to cycle. Here is a link to the oring section of their website

http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=11g6x4m

Thank you for the tip. I see McMaster Carr's clean room O-rings are made of clear silicone, which would make them attractive as well as functional. So far, my DIY solution is working great, but it's good to know there's something else out there. I haven't put my current system through the paces of water changes or other maintenance, so if it doesn't hold up over time, I'll try one of these O-rings.

The clear vinyl tubing is really great though. Here's another hack: an organizer for all the lines that feed into the bowl.

24984465474_9dc937e75c_z_d.jpg

Installed the Finnex temp controller yesterday. I have it set for 77-79, with a low-temp alarm at 74 and a high-temp alarm at 82. The temp probe is about 1.5 inches long and fully submersible--perfect for my reefbowl. I also added a switched surge protector so I don't have to constantly unplug cords. Can't believe it took me this long to get around to buying one.

25496329962_2ab05a2c1c_z_d.jpg

And here are some dogs.

25588834286_917f48cd65_z_d.jpg

• Like 7

Cute fur babies.

Love these tiny tanks. If I didn't already have 4 tanks to take care of I would consider one of these tiny shrimp bowls.

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

Cute fur babies.

Love these tiny tanks. If I didn't already have 4 tanks to take care of I would consider one of these tiny shrimp bowls.

Far be it from me to encourage anyone to overload on more tanks (my partner is still totally convinced my reefbowl is a slippery slope toward a fully stocked fishroom), but volcano shrimp bowls are as low maintenance as it gets. Just sayin' B)

• Like 3

looks very high tech :D

these guys can deal with temp swings from 15 deg C up to 27ish deg C so i wouldn't worry too much, keeping the PH nice and high is a bit more important :)

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

looks very high tech :D

these guys can deal with temp swings from 15 deg C up to 27ish deg C so i wouldn't worry too much, keeping the PH nice and high is a bit more important :)

Ha, all that tech is for my reefbowl. Per the recommendations of the opae'ula breeder at petshrimp.com, my shrimp bowl has no tech at all, except the light fixture. No heater, no circulation, no filter. I have a big calcium carbonate rock in the shrimp bowl to keep pH up.

• Like 1

Ha, all that tech is for my reefbowl. Per the recommendations of the opae'ula breeder at petshrimp.com, my shrimp bowl has no tech at all, except the light fixture. No heater, no circulation, no filter. I have a big calcium carbonate rock in the shrimp bowl to keep pH up.

ahh cool, im 'mech' on the petshrimp forum :)

didn't realize you were showing your reefbowl, i've had a few glass's :D

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

ahh cool, im 'mech' on the petshrimp forum :)

didn't realize you were showing your reefbowl, i've had a few glass's :D

Ah hello mech, I've read lots of your posts :)

I've been systematically reading every recent thread on the Petshrimp forum to gather as much information as possible before my opae'ula and brackish mossball arrive. Wish me luck!

• Like 2

Thank you for the tip. I see McMaster Carr's clean room O-rings are made of clear silicone, which would make them attractive as well as functional. So far, my DIY solution is working great, but it's good to know there's something else out there. I haven't put my current system through the paces of water changes or other maintenance, so if it doesn't hold up over time, I'll try one of these O-rings.

The clear vinyl tubing is really great though. Here's another hack: an organizer for all the lines that feed into the bowl.

24984465474_9dc937e75c_z_d.jpg

Installed the Finnex temp controller yesterday. I have it set for 77-79, with a low-temp alarm at 74 and a high-temp alarm at 82. The temp probe is about 1.5 inches long and fully submersible--perfect for my reefbowl. I also added a switched surge protector so I don't have to constantly unplug cords. Can't believe it took me this long to get around to buying one.

25496329962_2ab05a2c1c_z_d.jpg

And here are some dogs.

25588834286_917f48cd65_z_d.jpg

:wub: Those eyes on your pup :) One of our cats is convinced he's a dog :)

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

:wub: Those eyes on your pup :) One of our cats is convinced he's a dog :)

Ha :lol: I was wondering if anyone would notice the caption. This kitty is totally convinced she's a dog. Whenever we walk the dogs in the evening, she walks with us the whole way.

• Like 1

Ah hello mech, I've read lots of your posts :)

I've been systematically reading every recent thread on the Petshrimp forum to gather as much information as possible before my opae'ula and brackish mossball arrive. Wish me luck!

if you have any questions then just ask, there is nothing too trivial when it comes to these guys.

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

My opae'ula shrimp order arrives Saturday omgomgomg Hope it isn't delayed!

The shrimpbowl is cycled and has lots of green.

25630206846_048527cee6_z_d.jpg

The hunter. First kill of the year

25537649112_456e813bbe_z_d.jpg

• Like 8
natalia_la_loca

We have shrimp :happydance:

looking good in the bag--no losses at all. They lose their color during shipping but should get it back in a few days.

25640143141_0636043651_z_d.jpg

Little baby mossball...perfect for my gallon bowl

25735203005_8468df9fd8_z_d.jpg

chilling in the bowl! They started eating right away (sorry for poor vid quality lol)

• Like 13
Cencalfishguy56

We have shrimp :happydance:

looking good in the bag. They lose their color during shipping but should get it back in a few days.

25640143141_0636043651_z_d.jpg

Little baby mossball...perfect for my gallon bowl

25735203005_8468df9fd8_z_d.jpg

chilling in the bowl! They started eating right away (sorry for poor vid quality lol)

Finally :happydance:
  • Like 3
natalia_la_loca

Will they reproduce in there?

Yup. This bowl could support a population of 50 or more over time. Based on other people's experiences in the petshrimp.com forum, I should start to see berried females within about 2-3 months.

• Like 3
Cencalfishguy56

Yup. This bowl could support a population of 50 or more over time. Based on other people's experiences in the petshrimp.com forum, I should start to see berried females within about 2-3 months.

I used to breed freshwater blue crayfish, it was fun, good luck
  • Like 1

They are so cool! It's hard to tell how small they are in that picture of them in the bag, but then I saw them in the video and realized how tiny they are. I'm starting to get inspired :)

What kind of light fixture did you do for their bowl? I can't remember if you showed that one already.

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

can those shrimp live in ocean salinity?

I believe they can be acclimated to ocean salinity, but i'm not sure how well they would do long term. They would also be sitting ducks for any predators in a marine tank. I don't think they have any predators at all in the brackish pools in Hawaii where they occur naturally.

They are so cool! It's hard to tell how small they are in that picture of them in the bag, but then I saw them in the video and realized how tiny they are. I'm starting to get inspired :)

What kind of light fixture did you do for their bowl? I can't remember if you showed that one already.

They really are neat, and very small. A couple are already at the full adult size of 1.5 cm. I could accommodate this number of shrimp in a half-gallon bowl, easily. I really wanted to get 20, but thought it best not to overload the system so soon after cycling.

Opae'ula are okay with pretty much any light source that grows the green algae they feed on. I'm using an old Skyye LED that sat over my damsel tank until a couple of years ago. It's very dim and is supplemented by indirect sunlight from an east window. People have kept opae'ula successfully in windowsills with no artificial light source. I know of one guy that has had his opae'ula tank sitting in a window for like 25 years or something. He has never fed them.

• Like 2
  • natalia_la_loca changed the title to Natalia's Reefbowlocalypse: all good