inTank Media Baskets

Natalia's Reefbowlocalypse: all good

natalia_la_loca

consider space walls in the pico they work pretty sick

find any sort of packaging that uses clear polycarbonate, literally any of it is reef safe. half my monti frags are glued to plastic polycarb planks cut from 9 volt batter Duracell display/retail sales boxes that the batteries come in. the clear little window is that plastic, you can cut out a 2x2" square of it and then use a lighter to heat up one edge and curl it back, which is the glue surface

find the offensive sweeper coral and put superglue on the folded ridge and just glue the wall in between two corals. invisible underwater and a literal polyp block. I had some in place for so long they fully cemented w coralline and were part of the reef.

• Like 4
natalia_la_loca
5 minutes ago, ThePaontedFrogfish said:

gotta say, its been a while since i've updated myself in this thread and all i can really say is...wow! those gonis are amazing, i've heard straight up horror stories about those in massive established systems that barely make it, but yours are so happy and vibrant along with everything else, props to you :D

All I'm doing is the normal reefbowl routine of 100% waterchanges and a generous feeding once a week (including Reef Roids, which is specifically rumored to benefit gonis). Reefbowl conditions just seem to agree with them!

8 minutes ago, brandon429 said:

consider space walls in the pico they work pretty sick

Brandon, I love this idea. Much better than removing that beautiful frogspawn! I happen to have a big polycarbonate pack of batteries and will scope out options for adding a barrier or two.

• Like 3
natalia_la_loca

Went to the LFS yesterday :happydance: Look who I brought home!

32787168834_e0d38786fb_b.jpg

This is a very tiny crab, maybe an inch wide when stretched out. She seemed to acclimate very well. After sitting still for a bit, she crept into the shade of the frogspawn and started grooming herself. She took one of the anemones out of one claw and held it with a couple of feet, then groomed her free claw. I hope reefbowl life agrees with her! The hermit crab still seems to be doing well.

Fluconazone update: I am still seeing tiny, tiny, tiny strands of hair algae in a few places. I did another peroxide spot treatment during the water change. Today is Day 42 in all, and day 7 at the higher dose.

• Like 11
20 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Went to the LFS yesterday :happydance: Look who I brought home!

32787168834_e0d38786fb_b.jpg

This is a very tiny crab, maybe an inch wide when stretched out. She seemed to acclimate very well. After sitting still for a bit, she crept into the shade of the frogspawn and started grooming herself. She took one of the anemones out of one claw and held it with a couple of feet, then groomed her free claw. I hope reefbowl life agrees with her! The hermit crab still seems to be doing well.

Fluconazone update: I am still seeing tiny, tiny, tiny strands of hair algae in a few places. I did another peroxide spot treatment during the water change. Today is Day 42 in all, and day 7 at the higher dose.

omgomgomg

Shelby approves! :wub:

Looks like she's got some algae on her carapace!  I haven't seen that before on a pom pom.  But her nems are so big and fluffy!

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

I was a little concerned about that too! I didn't see the algae until I took the macro shot. Hopefully with all the fluconazole in there, the reefbowl will be an inhospitable environment for whatever algae she's introducing.

This thread is amazing.  I think this is my first post after reading the site for months.  From the reef bowls to the super shrimp...  Now that my 32 gallon is up an running, I wanted something else but small and low maintenance.  Now I just have to find a spot for one :)  Thank you everyone for great info and a great site...

• Like 4

Yay, you found a pom pom! I think tiny tanks like this one are great for pom poms, they're so shy you never see them in larger tanks. Even in my 4g tank, with two pom poms, I'd sometimes go a week or two without seeing either one.

I like Brandon's idea for a euphyllia shield! in my 4g, the hammer was a good citizen for about a year, right next to the acans. Then one day it found the acans, and from then on it was constantly growing sweepers and going after the acans. I eventually had to move the acans a good three inches away before they were safe. It's like once the hammer knew they were there, it went into atack mode and wasn't satisfied until they were so far away it couldn't sense them any more.

• Like 1

Hooray, you got a Pom Pom!!!

I bet she'll be amazing in this bowl, it's the perfect size. 

That removal of anemone and grooming behaviour you witnessed is pretty cool, I haven't heard of them doing that before. 

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

I didn't see the pom pom today, hopefully she'll get a little more bold over time. Meanwhile, the hermit gave me a nice photo op today  :)

33603743686_b1141d1f4a_b.jpg

Teeny, your experience with the euphyllia is exactly what I'm afraid of!

• Like 6
7 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I like Brandon's idea for a euphyllia shield! in my 4g, the hammer was a good citizen for about a year, right next to the acans. Then one day it found the acans, and from then on it was constantly growing sweepers and going after the acans. I eventually had to move the acans a good three inches away before they were safe. It's like once the hammer knew they were there, it went into atack mode and wasn't satisfied until they were so far away it couldn't sense them any more.

That makes two of us Natalia...my hammer is on a ledge just above my acan. I guess I'd better keep my eye on it. Moving the acan 3 inches away would be completely on the other side of my bowl! 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, A.Berry said:

That's awesome! I really want a Pom Pom but I can never find them!

My first four pom poms all came from LiveAquaria.  You could try asking a LFS to order them?

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

The pompom decided to dig a burrow right under the front rock with the blasto on it. Which means I can see her at all times :happydance: I was also able to drop a single pellet in front of her burrow using some rigid PVC tubing. So I can target feed her without polluting the tank!

• Like 6
natalia_la_loca

Thanks you guys :wub:

by the way, the new pics and the video that are featured in the profile were taken with my iPhone. Yellow gel filters work!  It requires some editing to get rid of the yellowish cast in the surrounding area (you can see it in the video especially) but it's worth it for getting rid of that overwhelming wash of blue.

• Like 4

Ohmigosh I got a mention in your write-up, I feel so SPECIAL now!!!! omgomgomg

I didn't expect that at all, had to go tell hubby, lol. 

That's so cool that the yellow gel filters work so well!!

I was just noticing that the colors looked a little different in the video, this totally explains it. 

I'm still working on the photography bit, this helps to know. 

This really is SO deserved natalia, I've been telling several people about your bowl because what it accomplishes truly is something special. 

• Like 4
natalia_la_loca

Aww, thank you so much :flower: 

yeah, the yellow filters work really well. They open up a lot of options, like taking better pics with a smartphone macro lens attachment (I haven't tried that yet). I got these, but I imagine just about any light yellow filter would work. Actually I think a more pale or transparent yellow would be even better.

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

By the way, here's a daytime shot that I took with the iPhone behind a yellow gel filter, then edited in Snapseed to knock back the yellow.

32903036444_6d96119d19_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • natalia_la_loca changed the title to Natalia's Reefbowlocalypse: all good