SaltCritters.com

Natalia's Reefbowlocalypse: all good

natalia_la_loca

natalia_la_loca

I can’t say enough what a difference it makes to wait a couple of days between the weekly feeding and the water change. The zoas are looking so plump and happy. And the little rainbow goniopora that I thought was a goner is definitely coming back. 

40234180281_a7af86b361_b.jpg

39336435995_272ea5049c_b.jpg

39523238624_7ef5be2c57_b.jpg

• Like 7
natalia_la_loca

It did stop :) The rest of it is fine, great polyp extension. I think it’s because those areas are shaded. I’m hoping the RTN’d parts will get covered with zoas, since the zoas are so much more tolerant of shade.

• Like 3
natalia_la_loca

The reefbowl is now two years old :happydance:

40661321401_618025d651_b.jpg

39766396285_1e46fa8ac0_b.jpg

As I mentioned in my art pico thread, I had to trim back the euphyllia. It’s been spreading aggressively since I started leaving food in the bowl a couple of days before the water change, and the valida acro and some of the zoas have suffered as a result. Hopefully they’ll bounce back now that the euphyllia is taking up less space.

• Like 12
17 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Congrats on 2 years!  I can't believe it's been that long already.  You've inspired quite a few folks in that time.

Including this folk!

• Like 2

I too have been recently waiting a few days for soak-in that’s wonderful pics above and well earned! Vs being exact with feed/change a couple hours later I’ll inject my roti feast and then just let it stew a while till scum develops on the glass then I’ll change it all out. Your bowl has no biological lifespan it only needs pruning and limits on elbows and nerf balls in vicinity 

what your bowl demos causes marine biologists to go back and rework claims of how coral allelopathy works. That ain’t supposed to be working says books from 1998. 

• Like 2
natalia_la_loca

So true @brandon429! My main challenge at this point is preventing runaway coral growth. What a luxurious “problem” to have :) 

I just noticed I need to prune my Duncan too. It had a scuffle with an acan last night. Looks like the art bowl will be getting a duncan frag soon...

• Like 5

its also showing that minor variances, drifts in dissolved nutrients from waiting a bit longer doesnt cause algae issues... it causes coral overgrowth issues ha

algae present or not present is independent to minor trending changes in tank nutrients

the rate at which we manually garden and guide at times may shift based on factors, but somehow year after year the bowls just fill up with ocean jewels after its all said and done without complicating things too much. Aware that sustained nutrient issues will select plants, but we are seeing as a recurring pattern that people who guide out algae mass by habit (which can come about during low nutrient periods many reefs have seen too) can endure swings up and down of the common plant fuel nutrients and really not change requirements for hand guiding much 

after coralline and coral fills in the areas as bio excluders then the gardening really lessens. Only my glass requires cleaning and indicates lazy time, the rocks never ever have algae by their own regulation

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
natalia_la_loca

Erm. Yeah. Time for some more pruning.

I also have a lot of coralline growth in here lately. Never had to deal with that before. The bowl has survived multiple business trips this year. Yay low maintenance reef systems!

45271979221_420ae3ef7d_b.jpg

45271979481_73b5d1bf20_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 2
  • natalia_la_loca changed the title to Natalia's Reefbowlocalypse: all good