Pod Your Reef

Natalia's Reefbowlocalypse: all good

natalia_la_loca

Can't wait to see the shrimp in there.

I keep crystal shrimp. I do virtually no mait on the tank. Maybe like once a year other than topping off water.

_MG_1412.jpg

I haven't been culling ... or feeding so their pattern quality has gone down hill along with their numbers. I just started taking better care of it again and have some babies crawling around.

_MG_1410.jpg

I used to have other kinds in my 75 gal but that tank is no more. Eventually I want to set up an identical tank next to it and do sexy shrimp and macro algae

• Like 5
natalia_la_loca

Cool idea, thanks for sharing! Do you have any more photos of the tank and contents?

I love photos :)

I keep crystal shrimp. I do virtually no mait on the tank. Maybe like once a year other than topping off water.

I haven't been culling ... or feeding so their pattern quality has gone down hill along with their numbers. I just started taking better care of it again and have some babies crawling around.

I used to have other kinds in my 75 gal but that tank is no more. Eventually I want to set up an identical tank next to it and do sexy shrimp and macro algae

I love your crystal shrimp tank, it's like a jungle. I'm really intrigued by planted systems that are (relatively) self sustaining. And your sexy shrimp/macro idea sounds AWESOME.

Here's a pic of the shrimp bowl at night, I love how it looks in every kind of light.

24822884040_b60b146d75_z_d.jpg

Yesterday I got a marimo ball at the LFS, but it was too big for this little bowl. So I put it in a "tank" of its own and gave it to my mom.

24505734754_366ec8e330_z_d.jpg

Somebody doesn't like it when I pay too much attention to my tanks

25110090856_5e086b33d5_z_d.jpg

AAAAAND...

I'm probably going to start a pico :haha:

I just can't resist it, I have to give it a shot. Plus, my LFS is overflowing with fantastic frags lately (some of which used to be in my tanks) and they're calling out to me.

So...wish me luck and stuff!

• Like 13

I love your crystal shrimp tank, it's like a jungle. I'm really intrigued by planted systems that are (relatively) self sustaining.

Here's a pic of the shrimp bowl at night, I love how it looks in every kind of light. And your sexy shrimp/macro idea sounds AWESOME.

Yesterday I got a marimo ball at the LFS, but it was too big for this little bowl. So I put it in a "tank" of its own and gave it to my mom.

AAAAAND...

I just can't resist it, I have to give it a shot. Plus, my LFS is overflowing with fantastic frags lately (some of which used to be in my tanks) and they're calling out to me.

:happydance: Luck and stuff!

• Like 2
Cencalfishguy56

I love your crystal shrimp tank, it's like a jungle. I'm really intrigued by planted systems that are (relatively) self sustaining.

Here's a pic of the shrimp bowl at night, I love how it looks in every kind of light. And your sexy shrimp/macro idea sounds AWESOME.

AAAAAND...

I'm just waiting to see some shrimp kicking around lol
  • Like 1
natalia_la_loca

I'm just waiting to see some shrimp kicking around lol

you and me both ;) I don't want to rush it though. Opae ula shrimp need biofilm to graze on, and there's almost none in this tank yet. Will probably place order in another week or two.

I ordered a bowl and a par38 lamp for the pico :) Will have to head over to the LFS and see if they've sold my acans. I may look into getting some of my zoas back too.

• Like 3
Cencalfishguy56

you and me both ;) I don't want to rush it though. Opae ula shrimp need biofilm to graze on, and there's almost none in this tank yet. Will probably place order in another week or two.

I ordered a bowl and a par38 lamp for the pico :) Will have to head over to the LFS and see if they've sold my acans. I may look into getting some of my zoas back too.

Lol might as well while you wait! A little zoa garden would be cool ;)
  • Like 1
natalia_la_loca

So the LFS sold all my acans (doh!) but they still had a lot of my zoas :wub: ...and they put them on hold for me along with several other gorgeous frags.

It's happening!!!

• Like 5

AAAAAND...

Are you the painter!?! If so you're holding out on us!!! :furious: We like all types of artsy stuffs.

Also, start the pico because; lets face it, our lives are not complete without corals. :wub:

• Like 2
natalia_la_loca

Are you the painter!?! If so you're holding out on us!!! :furious: We like all types of artsy stuffs.

Also, start the pico because; lets face it, our lives are not complete without corals. :wub:

Yeah :) Right now I'm working on two different commissions, and my clients have asked that I not post any pix until they're finished. Tomorrow I'll put up some photos of older paintings though.

And yes, life itself is a gift....but life with coral is even better :lol:

• Like 4

I just found your new thread - I'm so excited! omgomgomg The bowl is beautiful, and I can't wait to see what you do with a pico zoa tank. The marimo ball tank cracks me up, though, it's very creative. :)

• Like 2
natalia_la_loca

These bowls next to each other is perfect! Excited for shrimp!! :D

I just found your new thread - I'm so excited! omgomgomg The bowl is beautiful, and I can't wait to see what you do with a pico zoa tank. The marimo ball tank cracks me up, though, it's very creative. :)

Thanks you guys :flower: I'm excited too!!! Really looking forward to adding the shrimp and starting the pico.

In the meantime, here are some pictures of earlier artwork I've done. Yes, I know some of it is a little creepy...

25200140335_577f7f6fd7_z_d.jpg25173941766_cd40bc1b59_z_d.jpg

25200262655_d7bbce1016_z_d.jpg25106961281_b64dc48d3f_z_d.jpg

24832479299_b030574a85_z_d.jpg

I also do a lot of sketching but don't have many sketches on hand...here's one.

24904493490_85f872520e_z_d.jpg

• Like 14

Thanks you guys :flower: I'm excited too!!! Really looking forward to adding the shrimp and starting the pico.

In the meantime, here are some pictures of earlier artwork I've done. Yes, I know some of it is a little creepy...

25200140335_577f7f6fd7_z_d.jpg25173941766_cd40bc1b59_z_d.jpg

25200262655_d7bbce1016_z_d.jpg25106961281_b64dc48d3f_z_d.jpg

24832479299_b030574a85_z_d.jpg

I also do a lot of sketching but don't have many sketches on hand...here's one.

24904493490_85f872520e_z_d.jpg

really cool, Natalia!

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

Very interesting artwork!

To my untrained eye, I see a synergy of Hindu and Victorian influences, along with a touch of New Age :)

Yup, there is all of that, although the Hindu element is more subconscious I think (at any rate, I wasn't thinking about Hindu gods as I was composing these paintings). The other reference that may be less obvious is ancient Roman wall painting...I'm crazy about it.

What is the story behind the one with the Harpy and Jack and the Beanstalk? (Are you horrified by what it suggested to me?)

No, I'm really interested in it as I haven't heard an interpretation like that before :) I think of these paintings as illustrations of mythological stories that have been lost to time. There are no definitive answers to what they are about, only possibilities.

• Like 3

I love your artwork. Surrealism, assemblage, Dada, and the Symbolists have always been attractive to me. I also see Leonora Carrington here...I adore her work, both visual and literary.

Also, I'm not at all surprised that artists are deeply drawn to aquaria. :)

• Like 2
natalia_la_loca

I love your artwork. Surrealism, assemblage, Dada, and the Symbolists have always been attractive to me. I also see Leonora Carrington here...I adore her work, both visual and literary.

Also, I'm not at all surprised that artists are deeply drawn to aquaria. :)

Thank you :) It was surrealist automatic drawing techniques that got me started me on this path. I've moved much more toward symbolism over time...not so much in the sense of having a clear symbolic meaning, but of exploring and mixing archetypes.

And yes I'm a big fan of Leonora Carrington :) her paintings that is. I'll have to look up her writing.

Later on I'll post pictures of some experimental sculpture I've done that is directly inspired by my aquariums.

• Like 4
natalia_la_loca

:)

I'm pretty sure I've drank paint water more times than I'd like to admit.

OMG, so true :lol: :lol: :lol: This happens to me ALL. THE. TIME.

BTW, still no biofilm in my shrimp bowl! Gonna wait another week and see. Meanwhile, supplies are arriving for my pico :ninja:

• Like 3

OMG, so true :lol: :lol: :lol: This happens to me ALL. THE. TIME.

BTW, still no biofilm in my shrimp bowl! Gonna wait another week and see. Meanwhile, supplies are arriving for my pico :ninja:

omgomgomg I can't wait to see the pico!

the worst is when I'm working in oils and I dip my brush in my coffee instead of the mineral spirits tub. I swear I think "ok, how MUCH paint did I get in there and can I still drink the coffee"

• Like 2
natalia_la_loca

Bit of an update :happydance: The new bowl came in the mail yesterday.

I decided against putting the reefbowl in the reading room. The room is set up to be warm and cozy, and the cool blue of the par38 just didn't feel right next to a chair that is used primarily for reading.

Besides, I like the look of the bowl sitting together with the shrimp bowl and the moss bowl in the art studio. There is a kind of logic to it...land, brackish pool and sea. Here it is in its future location. Its full volume is 1.75 gallons.

25055788459_d2c18a42d5_z_d.jpg

24792784014_8cfab18a6a_z_d.jpg

Working on a rockscape

25305015362_4652b63224_z_d.jpg

It'll be wet soon!

Also, the shrimp bowl is finally starting to get some green biofilm. Won't be long now :)

• Like 11
  • natalia_la_loca changed the title to Natalia's Reefbowlocalypse: all good