Innovative Marine Aquariums

Natalia's Reefbowlocalypse: all good

natalia_la_loca

natalia_la_loca
4 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

:scarry:  Hope it's turned up!  Just wondering how it's possible to lose something in a bowl that small lol :lol:

Haha, apparently it is :) fortunately Lawn sent me two fruit loop frags :happydance:

2 hours ago, gena said:

Wow, natalia!!!  Your reefbowl is looking phenomenal.  So many vibrant colors.  I've always wanted one of the red goniopora.  Maybe one day :).

Thank you Gena :) I'm all about the color, i want this bowl to look like a candy jar. a red goni would look fantastic in your tank. I was nervous about adding them to the reefbowl, but they're doing really well. 

2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Holy WOW, this bowl is gorgeous!!!

Thank you Weetie :) It's easy to look after too!

So I went to a frag swap today :ninja:

• Like 4
natalia_la_loca

Ok, here's one. I've been talking about how I missed having petroglyphs. These look pretty much identical to me, and at $60 for this huge frag (comparatively speaking), they were a steal (comparatively speaking.)

33000041775_6cddd9fa6c_b.jpg

Also picked up this frag of "supergirls." They're a little grumpy because I treated them with peroxide for some nuisance algae.

33000119645_ef5ebb4908_b.jpg

• Like 10

I might look for a small red goniopora at my LFS.  Not sure I actually have room for one though.

I love your new pickups!  I have petroglyphs from LC.  They lost their color somewhere along the way.  I think when I did the switch-over.  But the color is coming back now.  THey really are stunning.  Glad you got some more...that's a nice size frag!

• Like 2
natalia_la_loca

Haha, there's always room for one more ;)  Just a little goniopora!

I can't say enough what a delight it is to have some petroglyphs (or something very like them) again. They're so big and exuberant. I can't wait to feed them.

• Like 4
natalia_la_loca

I couldn't find a Youtube vid of anyone feeding petroglyph zoas, but here are some pics I took a couple years ago of my old petroglyphs eating Fauna Marin zoa food in the Nuvo 8.

16529204586_b37fe98834_z_d.jpg

16368898729_c6af0172e3_z_d.jpg

16367455888_43928f73fa_z_d.jpg

• Like 1

Hi there! I just returned to Nano Reef today to have a look around and get some inspiration. I've been wondering whether a little reef will be in my near future again or not. After seeing your reef bowl setup, I totally want to get into it again! Can I be one of your bowl padiwans? I spent the whole day reading your thread! :D

• Like 2
natalia_la_loca
2 hours ago, Rain24 said:

Hi there! I just returned to Nano Reef today to have a look around and get some inspiration. I've been wondering whether a little reef will be in my near future again or not. After seeing your reef bowl setup, I totally want to get into it again! Can I be one of your bowl padiwans? I spent the whole day reading your thread! :D

Hey :) I'm honored to be an inspiration to you. I can definitely say this bowl has rekindled my love of reefing. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

• Like 2

Pictures are showing up now (they weren't the other night lol) and the petroglyphs look so cool when eating!  I've yet to see zoas eat...hopefully in my near future. :happy:

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

Yeah, the new site has been wonky about showing photos. Glad they're visible now.

Petroglyphs (and zoas of similar size/morph) show a great feeding response. True palythoas (like Purple Deaths, Nuke Greens, Captain Americas) also have a very obvious feeding response. Ditto for Miami Vice zoas and other large Caribbean morphs.

But for most zoas it isn't readily apparent whether they actually eat, IME. Even with some of the bigger ones like utter chaos and people eaters, I could never be sure whether they were eating. But they did grow and reproduce, so there's that.

• Like 1

That's good to know.  I really like the look of Captain Americas and the grandis palys (both cinnamon and green varieties) but wonder if they might be a little disproportionately large for my little tank lol.  I never fed previous tanks (well, I tried on my last 5.5 but between infrequent water changes and the Hydor Theo trying to cook everything, it didn't work out too well lol.  Stopped so I didn't totally wreck the tank) so it will be interesting to watch and hopefully see things grow better! :happy:

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

So this is the other zoa frag I picked up at the swap. They remind me of pink and golds, but they also have some green in the centers. I'm not totally sure if I want to keep them in the bowl because they look a little brown compared to my other corals, but at the swap they were so beautiful I had to pick them up.

32712177690_f19ebf6c45_b.jpg

I really like Mr Freeze. The price on them has gone down at Cherry Corals--last i checked, they had one available for $40.

33094164135_f4e4318fd9_b.jpg

FBS from today. Still a few stubborn strands of hair algae and I spotted a baby aiptasia on the witches' wheel acan, so I'll have to glue it today. Otherwise all is well.

32938191982_0f993238ce_b.jpg

32279093643_ca65528357_b.jpg

• Like 11

I keep coming back in here. Every time I see pics of your bowl I think that maybe I can do it too. I have to ask though - is there something special about the shape of the bowl/jar? Or is it just that it's a small system that's easy to maintain?

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

Thanks you guys :) I know Teeny, I really love pasting the pics directly from Flickr, what an improvement!

CM, I totally agree! Zoas are my favorites too. Lately the gonioporas are giving them some competition though--they are SO colorful and are less temperamental than zoas, at least in this reefbowl. But zoas have many more color varieties!

Rain24, I don't think there's anything special about the shape, although the roundness may be good for flow. The bubbler seems to give it a really nice random flow that the corals respond well to.

• Like 1

Natalia, I have a question about your PAR 38 lighting. 

I'm wondering about the reason for you covering some of the whites. 

Did you do that because of responses you noticed in the corals, or because of your own aesthetic preferences for how the corals look under the light?

These spotlight LED bulbs are so suited to Pico tanks, but I tried LEDs over Picos several years ago and found that they seemed too strong for the Softies & LPS I prefer. 

However, it's been a few years and I know there have very likely been improvements, so I'm trying to educate myself about what is available now. 

Thx in advance!!

• Like 1
  • natalia_la_loca changed the title to Natalia's Reefbowlocalypse: all good