Coral Vue Hydros

I need some info on the Banded Cat Shark.

Clownfish2004

Clownfish2004

I have been researching on these guys for about 2 days now and I really want to get a tank setup with a one.So I need some help finding a big enough tank for not that much and what other fish i could keep with him.I was thinking about this tank http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquariums/top-fin-125-gallon-aquarium-ensemble-zid36-28286/cat-36-catid-300065?var_id=36-5175715&_t=pfm%3Dshopping_cart%26pfmvalue%3Dtitlebut I want a cheaper tank but similar size.If anyone has kept these or knows a lot about them then please help me out.

Calm down. I was once like you wanting a Banded Bamboo Shark. They are not true cat sharks, it is a trade name. If you are serious about being a responsible keeper of one of these sharks then I suggest you read the care sheet at http://sharkraycentral.com/. These are people that have actually kept this and many other species. I guarantee there will be other replies behind me that are just people offering their opinion and not any facts. Please read the care sheet. You will have to register for the site. Good luck!

Here is the care sheet from the site:

Common Name: Brown-banded Bamboo Shark

Scientific Name: Chiloscyllium punctatum

Alias: Black banded Bamboo, or Banded Cat shark.

Maximum Adult Size: Some sources claim that the maximum length is about 46" (117 cm). However the most often quoted maximum size for this species is 40.9"(104 cm) in length.

Average Adult Size: average around 35-37"(89-94 cm) in length.

Maximum Adult Weight: about 11.3 lbs (5.1 kg), although up to 18.5 lbs (8.4 kg) might be possible.

Size at birth: about 5.9-6.6 inches (15 -17 cm)

Size at Sexual Maturity: about 25.2-27.5" (64-70 cm) for females, and about 26.8-29.1" (68-74 cm) for males.

Age at Sexual Maturity: roughly 2.5- 3.0 years (30-36 months)

Growth Rate: up to 28 cm (11 inches) in the 1st year of life, drops off after the first year.

Longevity of species: up to 20 years.

Geographical Distribution: found in the western Pacific, from Australia to Japan, and the Indian Ocean from Indonesia to India.

Habitat: A very abundant small warm-temperate to tropical shark - found in tidal areas, sandy slopes & shallow reefs.

Diet: mostly invertebrates & small fish - like urchins, shrimp, crabs, mollusks (i.e. clams, squid, or octopus), and segmented worms. It has also been known to feed on small fishes.

Activity level: a very active during the night. But generally a fairly slow moving, and solitary species. These species like most of its genus is considered to be very hardy. They are active feeders, and are generally harmless to people.

Preferred Water Temperature, and Conditions: considered a tropical water species, the preferred water temp range is between - 72-82F (22-28 C). The preferred salinity levels are in the range of 27-32 ppt or about 1.020-1.024 SG, and a pH of 8.0-8.4.

Absolute Minimum recommended tank/pond size: for a single average adult Brown-banded a tank/pond with a volume of 660-750 gallons with a footprint of at least 45-50 sq.ft - so either a tank that is 11’ long x 4.5’ wide x 2’ deep or a pond - with a 7.5' diameter is highly recommended for this species. For keeping a pair or small group(2-3 sharks) - a pond/tank with a minimum footprint of 62-70 sq.ft. and volume of at least 950 gallons (so basically a tank that is 13' long x 6' wide x 2' deep, or a pond that is 9' diameter is recommended.

Brown-banded Bamboo Sharks in Captivity: This species does very well in captivity, and feeds rather easily, once acclimated. These species has been known to breed in captivity. The species does will with some live rock decor. This is by far the most common shark species available in to Hobbyists, and is often found in most Local Fish Shops. And is often the introductory species for many shark keepers.

Potential Problems: This species does appear to have a high mortality - due to attempts to hatch them from eggs. The pups also have a high mortality rate during the first month, when about 50% may die due to lack of feeding or stress related to the hatching process. Still some people are fairly successful in hatching and raising pups from egg cases - while others aren't. However - hatching out your own shark pups should really only be attempted by keepers with some experience in keeping sharks.

Cited Sources: Micheal (2001) "Aquarium Sharks & Rays", Compagno (2001) "Sharks Of the World", FLMNH, FIGIS, Fishbase.org

That tank is definitely not large enough for a shark. Like the notes above say, you need a 500-700 gallon tank. Sharks are awesome but really have no business being kept in an aquarium in most situations

Clownfish2004

Yellow Eye Kole Tang

• size: small
$49.99 $49.99
Hawaii Yellow Tang

$39.99 $39.99
Banded Cat Shark - Live Arrival Guaranteed

This is what I want to keep in the tank.And from my research the min size of tank for the shark I want to keep is 125 gallons.

A small shark will grow into a big shark. You need a huge tank, 500 + gallons, to house it when it grows up. And that's just a couple of years down the line. Do you really have the space and budget for this animal? You want a tank big enough "for not that much," which means you do not have the budget to care for this animal. The small sharks have a high mortality rate - 50%. Are you willing to deal with that?

Clownfish2004

Okay I get the point but the 125 gallon tank could hold one for at least two years then I could sell him to someone and get a new one,this would actually break into a surplus in the hobby.

Okay I get the point but the 125 gallon tank could hold one for at least two years then I could sell him to someone and get a new one,this would actually break into a surplus in the hobby.

Yeah you won't make money selling it lol. You'll sell it for less than what you pay from the LFS and then buy another for more; that's just how it goes.

And yeah I wouldn't reccomend one AT ALL. And I think planning this is too early given no tank yet

gulfsurfer101

The answer is with cat shark comes great responsirbirity! Your not ready! You'll never be ready! I've heard of people keeping sharks in kiddie pools hooked up to major sumps with massive skimmers. All that cost more money than your willing to spend if your not the avid diy'er!

Okay, wha I see here is quite interesting. You came here so that you could be pushed in the right direction so that you can be sucessful at keeping a shark. People gave you the facts and informed you that for this to work properly, you need a larger tank. However, it doesnt seem that you liked that answer since you are stuck on the idea that a 125gal would be a nice "temporary home." I personally would bever take on the care of any animal when i knew I would purposfully get rid of it because it grew too large to keep. If you cant handle it full grown (and I will admit that I could never afford taking care of a shark properly, never mind afford a tank that large), you should not get one.

Why dont you look into some lionfish? They are absolutly beautiful and some can be kept in a 40gal breeder sucessfully. It would be cheaper in the long run and you wouldnt have to worry about rehoming one due to size. They are exotic fish imo. Just be careul of the spines!

Okay, wha I see here is quite interesting. You came here so that you could be pushed in the right direction so that you can be sucessful at keeping a shark. People gave you the facts and informed you that for this to work properly, you need a larger tank. However, it doesnt seem that you liked that answer since you are stuck on the idea that a 125gal would be a nice "temporary home." I personally would bever take on the care of any animal when i knew I would purposfully get rid of it because it grew too large to keep. If you cant handle it full grown (and I will admit that I could never afford taking care of a shark properly, never mind afford a tank that large), you should not get one.

Why dont you look into some lionfish? They are absolutly beautiful and some can be kept in a 40gal breeder sucessfully. It would be cheaper in the long run and you wouldnt have to worry about rehoming one due to size. They are exotic fish imo. Just be careul of the spines!

^I agree with Elizabeth 100% in this situation. Yes, sharks are beautiful and exotic. But I immediately hit online articles the moment I saw this thread, and you need a minimum of 360G for a BABY shark, and a fairly large one (easily double the size of the original tank) for an adult shark. Mind you, these sharks can grow up to 46" in captivity. Also, they need room to turn around in, so you'd ideally need a large, circular pond where they can't bump their noses into, and which is at LEAST 4' in diameter. Even that is pushing it.

Plus have you considered the costs of equipment, setup and maintenance? You need a strong filtration system, and also a nice chunky wallet to keep your shark well-fed. Most of them have problems eating and pups have a high mortality rate as it is.

All the sites I read through recommended sharks for only experienced reefers and public aquaria. Unless you're secretly a millionaire or rich enough to afford the upkeep (do take note you also can't head off anywhere for vacation too long or your shark will starve to death), don't try it.

Lionfish are a beautiful substitute. Check out Felicia's thread on here - I think it was called Predator's Paradise - and look at how wonderful her setup is. Predatory fish in a 40G including an eel too! It can work, if you take it slowly and be reasonable about it.

P.S. My LFS once brought in four black-tipped pups that cost RM1000 each. All four died within a month due to starvation, even though the workers tried their best to feed them everything. That's reality for you.

Look were not trying to just burst your bubble. I get it...its a really cool idea on the surface. Its just not practical or responsible to do what you are proposing. One thing that we dont know is what your background or skill level is in this hobby. Even for the most skilled hobbiest, a 125 is going to be extremely hard for housing a baby shark, and past 6 months I would venture to say it would be impossible to keep it truely happy and stressfree. One of the biggest obsticals that I think you are overlooking is how dirty it will make the tank. I had a good friend that was extremely knowledgable that attempted to raise a baby shark in his 300 gallon and it wreaked havok on the biology of the tank. It was just too dirty of an animal for his equiptment to keep up....and he had literally over $5000 in equiptment invested.

The pups are extremely hard to care for as well.

I helped bring one of these creatures into the world whilst working at an LFS. We spent the first three weeks trying to find anything it'd eat. Damned near lost it along the way. Then I finally managed to get it eating live ghost shrimp. Fed it live shrimp three times a day for another two months before I got it trained on frozen Krill. After that I was slooowly able to introduce other frozen foods.

After 6 months I finally found a foster home I'd be willing to send the shark to so it could grow out in peace and comfort. I already had connections thru the store to our public aquarium and introduced the new owners of the shark to the curator who was willing to take the shark after outgrew his new 260g aquarium.

2 months later it was dead. :(

As far as he could figure, the guy I fostered the shark to said it starved because it never came to the surface to get food but waited until scraps fell to the bottom of the tank. He could never get whole food to the shark itself.

This was, by far, one of the greatest heartbreaks of my LFS career.

When I walked into the store to open up the morning it hatched, I noticed he was caught up in his own shell and struggling free himself. His pectoral fin was stuck inside the egg preventing him from wriggling out the small hole he'd carved. He looked exhausted from the struggle and, this being my first encounter, I tried to call the boss to no avail. I paced back and forth a few times waiting for a response but got nothing.

Finally, I grabbed a razor and, ever so carefully, cut the egg sac over and around the sharks fin finally freeing him.

Then I spent months meticulously caring for him, only to have him die within two months of letting it go from my care.

So in my opinion, if you really care about your pet, don't get one... he'll only break your heart.

RIP lil dude

FB_IMG_1455268656425_zpsjgxtr0qa.jpg

Clownfish2004

That might be the best thing for me, since the are less expensive and I could keep some other cool things in like a 55 with them like a small tang or two and a fox face even.Thanks.I am not stuck on the 125 I was thinking about going for a 300 since that does seen the best for sharks.

I am agreeing with what you guys are saying.Thanks for the info it could eventually lead to me getting a shark or two but after doing some of the setup math it is way to expensive for me.Thanks again fr all the help.

Clownfish2004

I have doon some reserch on them and they cost way to much like $300+ wich I do not have for one animal.But thanks if you know a good place to get them let me know.

That might be the best thing for me, since the are less expensive and I could keep some other cool things in like a 55 with them like a small tang or two and a fox face even.Thanks.I am not stuck on the 125 I was thinking about going for a 300 since that does seen the best for sharks.

I am agreeing with what you guys are saying.Thanks for the info it could eventually lead to me getting a shark or two but after doing some of the setup math it is way to expensive for me.Thanks again fr all the help.

Look I was trying to be nice but your comments are starting to make light of the fact that you really dont care at all about the creatures you are talking about keeping. You havnt commented at all on the people that gave you advice on the actual care of the animals. Everything has been about what might be cool to keep or have or about what is less expensive. The is a very expensive and time comsuming hobby. The only people that truely do well in it are usually the ones that actually care about the animals they are keeping. You still didnt answer my question about your previous experience so im assuming this is your first venture into the hobby and I personally think you need to take a step back and rethink what you are getting yourself into.
Clownfish2004

Recommended Tank: The Banded Cat Shark stays on the smaller size for a Shark, but requires at least a 180 gallon or larger aquarium as an adult. It requires a soft sand bottom as the substrate as the belly can easily be scratched by coarser substrate, which may lead to an infection. Like all sharks, it can never be exposed to copper-based medications.
Food and diet:Feed a varied diet consisting of large chunks of meaty foods. These foods include krill, raw table shrimp, squid, clam and mussel.

This is what I found on a site were I was thinking about getting some livestock from

Think about how you will be preforming water changes too. On a tank that is 300gallons, not only will you have to do big water changes (especially if you plan to keep predators, they are messy eaters) but you will also have to think about topping off with RODI water. I am sure that a tank that size would take a whole lot of topping off. Never mind the amount of filtration that would be needed. I know even my 29gal was topped off with 5gallons a week.

I understand your fascination with sharks, they are super cool and maybe you could own one one day. It may be now, or fives years from now. This hobby can be brutally expensive.. But yea, lion fish are super cool and there are plenty off different types to choose from. They can be housed with other predatory fish if you plan to get the big species.

Clownfish2004

Look I was trying to be nice but your comments are starting to make light of the fact that you really dont care at all about the creatures you are talking about keeping. You havnt commented at all on the people that gave you advice on the actual care of the animals. Everything has been about what might be cool to keep or have or about what is less expensive. The is a very expensive and time comsuming hobby. The only people that truely do well in it are usually the ones that actually care about the animals they are keeping. You still didnt answer my question about your previous experience so im assuming this is your first venture into the hobby and I personally think you need to take a step back and rethink what you are getting yourself into.

I get what you are saying and I said I agreed with the facts.I was wrong obliviously to even make this thread.Like I said the facts you are telling me are true and I am no longer thinking about getting a shark since they are a bigger challenge then I thought they would be.But I am thankful that you guys steered me away from that idea or you would have seen some pretty sad threads down the road.

You're from Vegas? Lol the capital of exotic pets. If you really want a shark you need a 300+ gallon rubbermaid stock tub, with a 100+ gallon rubbermaid stock sump and a skimmer the size of a 12 year old. Forget glass tanks and forget tank mates.

Clownfish2004

Think about how you will be preforming water changes too. On a tank that is 300gallons, not only will you have to do big water changes (especially if you plan to keep predators, they are messy eaters) but you will also have to think about topping off with RODI water. I am sure that a tank that size would take a whole lot of topping off. Never mind the amount of filtration that would be needed. I know even my 29gal was topped off with 5gallons a week.

I understand your fascination with sharks, they are super cool and maybe you could own one one day. It may be now, or fives years from now. This hobby can be brutally expensive.. But yea, lion fish are super cool and there are plenty off different types to choose from. They can be housed with other predatory fish if you plan to get the big species.

Thanks.I am thinking about waiting a few years when I have more experience in the hobby and have a 300g+ oval shaped tank so that the sharks will have plenty of room in their home.

Okay thanks I guess.Ya unless I get a huge oval tank a tub/pool would work great.

Antennata Lion

Pterois antennata

antennatalion.jpg

Description: The Antennata Lion Fish is easily recognized by the spots, which are often blue, on the inner surface of the large pectoral fins. It can be a durable aquarium fish that readily adapts to captive life if provided with adequate hiding places. If you keep more than one specimen, provide each individual with its own shelter site. This species is usually indifferent toward its tank mates, including members of its own kind and other lion fish unless they are small enough to swallow. Although it feeds on crustaceans in the wild, it will eat any fish that is small enough to fit in its mouth in the aquarium. Provide with plenty of open swimming space as well as caves and crevices for its to refuge in. It may spend more time in the open in a dimly-lit tank.

Recommended minimum tank size: The Antenata prefers a tank of at least 30 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.

Food and diet: When first brought into your home aquarium, live saltwater feeder shrimp should be used to entice your lionfish to eat. A Lionfish diet consists of meaty foods such as live shrimp, live fish, and crustaceans.

Reef Compatability: Interesting reef tank resident, but will eat crustaceans and small fishes.

Level of Care: Difficult

Guarantee Note: Because the requirement of live food, which therefore makes for an increased level of care required for this species it has been marked Difficult, for an Advance Aquarist , as an"Advanced Aquarist Species," there is no long term guarantee provided. Only an Arrive Alive Guarantee.

Approximate Purchase Size:Small: 1-1/2" to 2-1/2"; Medium: 2-1/2" to 3-1/2"; Large: 3-1/2" to 5"

Small $36.99

Medium $46.99

Large $59.99

Would this be a good type to keep??And riced right??

Dwarf/Zebra Lionfish

Dendrochirus zebra

dwarflion.jpg

Description: The Dwarf Lion Fish which is also called the Zebra Lion Fish, is the perfect lion fish for small aquariums. The Dwarf Lion Fish has striking markings and long pectoral and dorsal fins. The body is reddish with five dark bars, alternating with thin dark bars in large specimens. There is a dark spot on the cheek. Median fins have small dark spots. They are slow-moving and not aggressive, but can be dangerous.

Recommended minimum tank size: The Dwarf prefers a tank of at least 50 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.

Food and diet: When first brought into your home aquarium, live saltwater feeder shrimp should be used to entice your lionfish to eat. A Lionfish diet consists of meaty foods such as live shrimp, live fish, and crustaceans.

Reef Compatability: Interesting reef tank resident, but will eat shrimp, crustaceans and small fish.

Level of Care: Difficult

Guarantee Note:Because the requirement of live food, which therefore makes for an increased level of care required for this species it has been marked Difficult, for an Advance Aquarist , as an"Advanced Aquarist Species," there is no long term guarantee provided. Only an Arrive Alive Guarantee.

Approximate Purchase Size: Small: 1" to 1-1/2"; Medium: 1-1/2" to 2"; Large: 2-1/4" to 3"

Small $27.99

Medium $34.99

Large $44.99

Or this??

For a 55g go for the dwarf lion. You could keep other fish as long as they're the same size or larger than the lionfish. I would personally avoid tangs because they'll outgrow a 55g too quick. Possible tank mates include some larger wrasses, dwarf angelfish, larger damselfish, possibly a maroon clownfish, etc. I would avoid small fish. If you had the lion and 2, maybe 3 other similar sized fish I think you would be happy and you won't have a setup that will break the bank... Seriously, really think about what will make you happy but compare that to reality and try to imagine the maintenance, feeding, and observation routines you'll have.

IME a lightly stocked tank is much easier and less costly to care for because you don't have so much complexity for feeding, observing for disease, aggression, etc... It's also cheaper because it's more forgiving. A simple fish-only with live rock tank can go further between water changes as long as you have a good, large skimmer.

Best of luck I totally understand where you're coming from. Starting out in a lot of hobbies I get really fired up and make these really great plans at first - only to find out that they are above my skill level or the amount of $$ I'm willing to invest. Initially I wanted a 120g predator tank but even in that situation I found that I would be spending well over $1,000 all things considered. The livestock may only be $150 and the tank may only be $400 but to get rock, sand, heater, lid, salt mix, hydrometer, test kits, light, buckets, tubing for water changes, skimmer, circulation pumps, basic medications, etc... it all adds up really quickly.

I have doon some reserch on them and they cost way to much like $300+ wich I do not have for one animal.But thanks if you know a good place to get them let me know.

Clownfish2004, this si the same thing as the other threads you've started about stocking a tank. You do not have a tank nor experience taking care of one- remember how the tank with the clownfish went? If you cannot pay $300 for a shark then how can you buy a 125-300g tank with all filtration, stand, rock, tests, and lighting?

If you want to try again you should learn to test and use the cube.

Archived