ReefCleaners.org

Reefer 170 Skimmer Recommendation?

WRX

Wouldn't you potentially run into issues running the skimmer before the filter socks, or does it just mean having to clean it more often?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nyos Skimmers are super sexy but they are so dam expensive. I think it should be in the $250 range for the 120 model.

True. I ordered a Nyos 120 for my new Reefer 170. It is due to arrive tomorrow. I hope it is worth the money.

Any updates on the icecap K2-50? I'm considering buying one soon.

I still like the k2-50. It's gotten pretty quiet, I don't notice it running when the stand door is closed. It's still pulling out dark skimmate.

I still like the k2-50. It's gotten pretty quiet, I don't notice it running when the stand door is closed. It's still pulling out dark skimmate.

Just got mine in today actually.... Still going to be a while before I get it wet though

Herbie, any update on this skimmer. I'm thinking about putting one on my tank, but wanted to see some positive reviews before I pull the trigger.

Thanks,

Roy

Herbie, any update on this skimmer. I'm thinking about putting one on my tank, but wanted to see some positive reviews before I pull the trigger.

Thanks,

Roy

Herbie sold his to another member. i can give you a positive review. Here is mine after about 2.5 days of skimming.

4115DAC8-4867-4F47-A1F7-57FD466D3316.jpg

And the 8" water being the reefer sump provides is about ideal for this skimmer. And dont mind in my pic that the foam head was gone I just fed the tank.

• 11 months later...
blizzardscout2
On 3/29/2016 at 7:16 AM, WRX said:

I made a platform out of eggcrate and moved the skimmer to the corner of the sump. Got a Beam from Nano Box and will use the rest of the sump as a fuge.

20160329_095756_zpscfhmi3ne.jpg

How does it work in that spot? Any problems?

27 minutes ago, blizzardscout2 said:

How does it work in that spot? Any problems?

Increased noise but other than that no issues.  I no longer have that tank or skimmer though.  

blizzardscout2

Okay well I will give it a go. If that is the case no biggie, I will just upgrade to the 120. Man I wish I had the extra room of the 250 sump area. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
On 4/27/2016 at 1:02 PM, Pancetta said:

True. I ordered a Nyos 120 for my new Reefer 170. It is due to arrive tomorrow. I hope it is worth the money.

How is your nyos 120?   Ihave a Red Sea 170 and am looking for a very silent skimmer.

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread... any updates on skimmers for a RSR170?

I’m leaning RO Classic 110... Nyos too pricey.

Ice Cap K2-50 is interesting too.

I have a Somatic 60 but it’s loud and I couldn’t get it dialed in.

Cheers!

• 9 months later...

Super cool to see that this skimmer fits in the overflow return/filter sock chamber. I've been looking for a skimmer that can fit here (or on the other side of the filter sock) to free up more space in the "skimmer section" for fuge/equipment etc. 

The Tunze 9004 is another option I've seen that can fit here.

That said, both the IceCap K2-50 and Tunze 9004 seem a little undersized for a heavily stocked or SPS tank (although I'm very interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this). Has anyone found a larger skimmer that can fit near the filter stock (either directly by the overflow return or on the opposite side)?

The Tunze 9012 seems to fit from a foot print perspective, but it's submersed depth requirement of 10-11" seems incompatible with the Reefer 170 sump design (seems to want a water level ~7-8". 

Any other suggestions?

20160329_095756_zpscfhmi3ne.jpg

image.png